Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Houston Roll Call  (Read 14551 times)

htrus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Houston Roll Call
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2005, 07:11:09 PM »
I've been on the UH online system.  I was prompted to do so in order to verify that I was accepting the 18.5 offered in unsubsidized stafford loans.  Didn't everyone have to do this?  I had to go through a registration process in order for my Financial Aid status to be 'complete' according to the UH online system.
I am having the mix b/t sub/unsub stafford loans refigured based on working only the first half of this year. Since I have been working for a while, I did not have a very good mix. Laura Neal told me to not accept the loans until this process was complete in July, but when I do she said I will have to go into the onlines and accept the loans. You are talking about accepting via Enrollment Services, then to the financial aid section and then loans by web to accept, correct, traci? It is kind of scary to wait that long, but she confirmed that was the correct process. If you are OK with your mix, I would accept them now.
LSAT 161/GPA 3.05

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=htrus

Attending: Houston
In: St. Mary's (w$$), South Texas, Texas Tech, Houston
Out: Texas, GMU, Boalt Hall, Oklahoma, Baylor
Waitlist: SMU

htrus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2005, 07:17:02 PM »
I went to the site and set up the email to forward to my yahoo account, but I am not sure that it worked since I have not received any email from UH in my yahoo mail and i am not sure how to check the regular UH mail.  Has anyone received any email from UH or anything in the regular mail regarding enrollment, orientation, transcript requirements, etc, etc.?
you can send a test e-mail to your uh address and see if it forwards properly. it did in my case. I have not received any e-mail to my old or UH address regarding orientation or the like. I think they will send an enrollment package in mid-june with that info. As far as transcripts, the admissions office advised me that they require your undergrad degree granting University transcript only. I think they said this was required to be able to pay your fee bill, so I had UT forward mine to the admissions office at the Law Center last week. I have not heard a confirmation that it has been processed yet. I will give them a couple weeks and check back.
LSAT 161/GPA 3.05

tracigu3

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - tracigu3@sbcglobal.net
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tracigu3
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2005, 07:28:58 PM »
htrus- I've accepted my finaid on the uh services site.  I was only offered unsub stafford loan, unfortunately no need-based money was offered; so there is nothing to change up (darn that husband, making too much moola to qualify for need based $).

htrus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2005, 07:37:05 PM »
htrus- I've accepted my finaid on the uh services site.  I was only offered unsub stafford loan, unfortunately no need-based money was offered; so there is nothing to change up (darn that husband, making too much moola to qualify for need based $).
OK, sounds good, but did I get the process correct? I wanted to make sure that was nothing additional that needed to be done. I just followed the instructions that came with financial aid app.
LSAT 161/GPA 3.05

cmbake31

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2005, 12:50:43 AM »
I'm kinda scared now after looking at that apartment ratings website.  Basically everyone on there has a bad opinion of Providence Uptown.  Has anyone who lives or has lived in Houston looked at the place they lived on this site, and if so,are the opinions posted pretty accurate from your experiences?

tacc731

« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2005, 01:56:55 AM »
I'm kinda scared now after looking at that apartment ratings website.  Basically everyone on there has a bad opinion of Providence Uptown.  Has anyone who lives or has lived in Houston looked at the place they lived on this site, and if so,are the opinions posted pretty accurate from your experiences?

I wouldn't worry too much about the ratings on that site.  Almost every rating on there is negative.  It seems that competitors simply get on and trash each other.

tracigu3

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - tracigu3@sbcglobal.net
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tracigu3
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2005, 12:12:12 PM »
cmbake- i checked out the apartment rating site, and read the reviews for the place i live at (the estates at memorial heights), and found them to be mostly pissed off people, with a few good/truthful points.  Yes, the management and office staff are cranky (this was the main complaint by everyone), but that isn't a reason to not live somewhere.  They have their good days and their bad ones, I've not had any rude attitudes given to me, but I would give it right back and not put up with that Sh*& if it were given.  I think you've got to take these things with a grain of salt, realize that people are probably writing their reviews at a time when they are really upset about something and therefore exxagerate the situation.

princesssnadia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2005, 02:26:38 PM »
I would only be afraid of a place if someone says there is alot of break-ins at the complex, or bad crime in the area. I agree things like rude office staff is not a reason to not live somewhere, and people who write reviews are usually at an extreme whether is be happy or unhappy. Middle of the road people don't usually feel a need to comment.

tacc731

« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2005, 05:07:45 PM »
Even with crime I would take it with a grain of salt.  As I pointed out earlier, competitors could simply sign up and trash other apts.

cmbake31

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2005, 06:20:43 PM »
Yeah the only thing that bothered me was the whole crime issue.  The management problem isn't really that disturbing.  But I called a couple of apartment locators this morning and they pretty much confirmed what the message board says.  They said that place is particularly bad mainly because it is so close to 59, and it's easy for people to get in and get out so it gets hit harder than other places.  I'm seriously thinking about looking elsewhere because I haven't signed a lease yet.