Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Houston Roll Call  (Read 14097 times)

cmbake31

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Houston Roll Call
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2005, 11:52:10 PM »
I'll be moving sometime in early August.  I'm just waiting to hear back from the apartments that I applied to.

tracigu3

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - tracigu3@sbcglobal.net
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tracigu3
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2005, 09:39:44 AM »
What apartments, if you don't mind me being nosey?  I live in Houston now; maybe I know of your places and/or know someone that lives there who could give you a good reccomendation.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2005, 10:24:48 AM »
if anyone is searching for a home i can be of assistance
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

cmbake31

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2005, 11:52:53 PM »
What apartments, if you don't mind me being nosey?  I live in Houston now; maybe I know of your places and/or know someone that lives there who could give you a good reccomendation.
Providence Uptown over off of Richmond near the Galeria.  I'm sure everything is ok, but they told me I'd hear back in about a week and it's only been a couple of days so far.

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2005, 12:47:15 AM »
Providence Uptown over off of Richmond near the Galeria.  I'm sure everything is ok, but they told me I'd hear back in about a week and it's only been a couple of days so far.

Nice. Wish I could afford to live near the Galleria! You know, you can take Westheimer all the way down until it turns into Elgin and you never have to get on the freeway. The 2Ls that I know go that way. They swear by it.

where2g0

« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2005, 08:30:38 AM »
There some real nice places just off of campus, north of the baseball stadium between Elgin and McGowen!!

tracigu3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2005, 10:58:21 AM »
Cmbake- Nice place.  It's fairly new, and if you're new to Houston I think you'll love being in the Galleria area-- very hustle & bustle/ big city action up there.  There is an absolutely wonderful martini/happy hour bar in the uptown park called the Belvedere, very plush, shi shi place, velvet pillows, lounge couches, etc. etc. and excellent specialty drinks. And my favorite perk there, wasabi nuts and carmelized pecans to snack on!

Scurvy, et. al.- Yes, you can take Westheimer all the way and it turns into Elgin then go don't have to get onto any freeways, but 'everyone, their brother, and their dog' as our realtor once told us, takes Westheimer (the section of Westheirmer that crosses through the Galleria), and there is a very poorly placed train track which crosses the street and is again unfortunately in operation during a.m. and p.m. rush hour.  So... my suggestion (althought I'm sure everyone has their own and/or will find their own favorite route) is to (i) Stay off of 610, which is directly in front of Providence apartments, it is hellayshish in the mornings, (ii) go up two blocks on the back streets near your place in the Galleria, hop onto either Woodway Drive or Memorial, they each take you the same place and merge together, but most importantly there are NO stop lights, so it is free sailing until downtown, and which point (iii) hop onto 45 ,which by-the-way is where I'll come in off of Allen Parkway (Allen runs parallel to memorial), once on 45 you'll have only two exits to pass until you take the UH exit and wolla, there you are.

Hmmm, come to think of this, I would like to invite anyone who's interested to a car-pool.  My place is right at the junction of allen parkway/montrose/kirby/memorial and then at 45 and downtown, Yes that seems confusing and probably impossible to be at the cross of all of those random streets--- but if you're familiar with Houston maps all of those places do really intersect in the same 1/2 mile radius, and I do really live there, I promise, I'm not crazy, really, Just super excited about LS.

Ok, I'm gonna stop rambling now, sorry about that. :)

cc40988

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2005, 01:07:30 PM »
I live just NW of the Galleria.  It's a great area, but I plan on moving closer to UH -- probably the Medical Center.  My reasoning is that with classes starting at 9AM everyday a 30 minute commute is just too much for me (Med Center <5 miles from campus).  Perhaps 30 minutes is too conservative, but I've lived in Houston for 3 1/2 years now and don't envision that commute being very friendly.  You don't want to be late for class and driving through the heart of Houston from the Galleria is unpredictable meaning that you'll need to allot yourself even more time for all those unexpected jams (and Houston is notorious for them).  Not only that, but the Medical Center is closer to night life activities (Rice Village, Downtown, Midtown) and many of the complexes are on or very near the Metro Rail which is an added benefit for downtown excursions.  Interested in others experiences/predictions in commuting to UH from the Galleria.  I encourage all to test this commute before committing yourself to it through your lease term.

where2g0

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2005, 04:32:36 PM »
MidTown is where its at.  Post Loft, The Calais, there are several others.  About a three minute drive down McGowen or Elgin to campus.

tracigu3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2005, 04:40:51 PM »
where2go- Are you speaking from experience?