Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Houston Roll Call  (Read 14235 times)

Anastasia

• View Profile
Houston Roll Call
« on: April 27, 2005, 10:42:21 AM »
I figure most of us have made up our minds at this point if we'll be attending.  There's several Houston threads, but no specific 'introduce yourself here' ones. If you're going to UH, say hello and as much/little as you want. If you're on the fence you can list the schools you're deciding between.
Learn from your parents' mistakes; use birth control.

BigTex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Houston Roll Call
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 12:17:02 PM »
tag.

tracigu3

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - tracigu3@sbcglobal.net
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tracigu3
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 03:02:12 PM »
I'm Traci.  I begin the full-time program this Fall at UH.  I'm 24, graduated from Oklahoma State '03 in Business Administration. I'm from small-farm-town Oklahoma, moved to Houston in '03 b/c my husband finished his MBA and got a job here.  I absolutely love H-town!  Live in mid-town/montrose area, work downtown at a large law firm as a legal clerk (fancy name for their program for people with a degree, considering going to law school) in the corporate department/securities regulation.  I attended the admit day on April 16th, I was the girl in the back who asked way too many questions.

Nice to meet you!

htrus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 04:14:38 PM »
I'm Harve and will enter the full-time program this fall. I graduated from UT-Austin, but have been out for 10 years. Currently live in Dallas and work in IT/System Integration consulting. Have never lived in Houston, but a big group of my friends from college live there, so I have visited a bunch and love it.

Ana-It looks like we have may have had some overlap in college, so it will be interesting to see if we have any common friends/hangouts. From previous posts, I know that the old Phi Delt parking lot on the Friday afternoon of Roundup (Mudfest) is one. I think I saw mention of the Cloakroom as well, so that would be another.   

Traci-I was at the admitted students day on the 16th as well. From your description, I remember you. I think all of your questions were fine. I was on the right flank of the classroom and asked a question about life insurance.
LSAT 161/GPA 3.05

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=htrus

Attending: Houston
In: St. Mary's (w$$), South Texas, Texas Tech, Houston
Out: Texas, GMU, Boalt Hall, Oklahoma, Baylor
Waitlist: SMU

where2g0

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 07:22:16 PM »
Im still trying to decide, Houston or Baylor.  I know it is down to the wire(I have to make up my mind by Saturday!), but I am leanining heavily toward UH now.  I just can't see that Baylor is worth the extra 30 Grand.   Besides, I have been out of undergrad for 11 years and don't really want to spend $30G more and not be any better off.  Also, I already live in Houston.  So, I will probably be seeing you all this fall at the Law Center. 

fliingdutchmn

• Sr. Citizen
  • You're a dirty bugger aren't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 07:32:04 PM »
Is everyone making their decision without a financial aid package?  I think it's a little unfair to demand a deposit without full information.

tracigu3

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - tracigu3@sbcglobal.net
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tracigu3
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 07:41:23 PM »
A note on the financial aid- I spoke with Laura Neal (the UHLC financial aid person) on Monday of this week.  She said they were going to begin the awarding process next week, and that everyone whom applied for financial aid should expect an award letter the week of May 9th.

where2g0

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 07:46:44 PM »
A note on the financial aid- I spoke with Laura Neal (the UHLC financial aid person) on Monday of this week.  She said they were going to begin the awarding process next week, and that everyone whom applied for financial aid should expect an award letter the week of May 9th.

Thanks for the info.  I was under the impression that all the Federal Aid had to be signed for by May 1.  But, I guess not.

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 09:44:38 PM »
Scurvy checking in here. I was there on the 16th too. I was the one that knew way too much about the required laptop and its specs. I was also one of the only girls in jeans and I was late. Dean Tennessee told me check-in started at 9, not ended at 9. Oh well. Can't wait to see everyone when I get to town!

I made my decision without the actual financial aid package. Even paying full price, UH is cheap for law school. Plus, I sortof figured it out. I added $5k to last year's budget,  subtracted my EFC, subtracted my scholarship, and then looked at that number. Then I subtracted $18500 in Federal aid (which I know  I'm eligible for from other schools that have done their aid packages). Whatever was left will be covered in private loans. Well, the EFC has to be taken out in private loans too. Blech. So you should have an idea of what the aid package is going to look like before it comes to you. Best case scenario, I get another scholarship or loan with great terms throught the school. Worst case scenario, I pay what I calculated earlier.

zaphod

• worst dressed sentient being in the galaxy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 10:20:33 AM »
I guess Iím one of the few evening students on this board.   I live and work in Houston.  I need the money right now, so I decided to start part-time.  I am hoping to move over to the full-time class next year.  I imagine itís going to be a painful first year for me.

We guys are a bit ahead in the cycle, and we should be registered for summer classes soon.  I like the fact that the school takes care of all that stuff, you just show up and attend classes.  We will be having our orientation in a couple of weeks and classes start shortly thereafter.
Don't Panic