Law School Discussion

Houston Roll Call

htrus

• View Profile
Re: Houston Roll Call
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2005, 08:07:28 AM »
Well we signed on the dotted line today for an apt at Providence at Kirby.  Moving in on June 15.  If anyone is still looking I strongly recommend the medical center district.  It's a nice neighborhood and is just a short trip(10-15 min.) from the law school.

Tacc-

Good to hear. Have you toured that complex? Interested to know how it looks as it one of the places I am considering.

tacc731

« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2005, 10:38:45 AM »
Well we signed on the dotted line today for an apt at Providence at Kirby.  Moving in on June 15.  If anyone is still looking I strongly recommend the medical center district.  It's a nice neighborhood and is just a short trip(10-15 min.) from the law school.

Tacc-

Good to hear. Have you toured that complex? Interested to know how it looks as it one of the places I am considering.

Yes, we toured the complex yesterday.  It is very nice, but it seems cramped.  The buildings are close together, and the courtyards are small.  The lady giving us the tour said that it is one of the newest apts in the area(of course they're building newer ones directly across the street).  There are some around the area that look much nicer with bigger yards(Camden Vanderbilt, Kirby Place, Archstone on Brompton), but Providence offered us a great deal on a 2/2 so we had to take it.  Ask if they have any look-and-lease available.  They came down nearly $200/month off our rent.

« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2005, 10:47:20 AM »
For those of you apartment hunting, I just wanted to throw this out there. Try an Archstone apartment, if you have to move for a 1L internship or 2L or whatever, you can transfer your lease without penalty. It's a huge savings. If we were moving into an apartment, that's what we would have done.

Congrats on your place htrus. Sounds like a great deal.

htrus

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2005, 01:10:35 PM »

Tacc-

Yes, we toured the complex yesterday.  It is very nice, but it seems cramped.  The buildings are close together, and the courtyards are small.  The lady giving us the tour said that it is one of the newest apts in the area(of course they're building newer ones directly across the street).  There are some around the area that look much nicer with bigger yards(Camden Vanderbilt, Kirby Place, Archstone on Brompton), but Providence offered us a great deal on a 2/2 so we had to take it.  Ask if they have any look-and-lease available.  They came down nearly $200/month off our rent.
Will do. What was your opinion on safety of neighborhood? I am just not that familiar with the Med Center. I am more familiar with Tanglewood/Memorial/Galleria area, but like the prices/location in the Med Center better.

tacc731

« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2005, 01:26:16 PM »

Tacc-

Will do. What was your opinion on safety of neighborhood? I am just not that familiar with the Med Center. I am more familiar with Tanglewood/Memorial/Galleria area, but like the prices/location in the Med Center better.

The neighborhood looks great.  I saw plenty of cop cars driving around...ESPECIALLY around Providence (there's an elementary school directly behind it).  The area isn't as cluttered as the galleria area, yet there is plenty of shopping(not for me, of course, but for the wife).  From what little knowledge I have of Houston, I would say it is the nicest/closest neighborhood to UHLC.  I told a friend of mine who lives in Houston that I was living there and he seemed genuinely impressed with the neighborhood, saying it was one of the nicer areas. 

htrus

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2005, 02:18:35 PM »
Thanks Tacc. btw-has anyone logged into the U of H enrollment online application? I was able to and saw my stafford loans there. It had my UH e-mail address there as well.

« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2005, 02:25:07 PM »
Thanks Tacc. btw-has anyone logged into the U of H enrollment online application? I was able to and saw my stafford loans there. It had my UH e-mail address there as well.

Can you send details of how to do this to the Houston group email? Thanks!

htrus

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2005, 02:33:32 PM »
Here is the link.

https://www.stu.uh.edu/uoh/newmenusys/intro.jsp

To login, you initially will use your ssn as your user id (i do not have a cougar card id yet). Then default password/pin is your date of birth. You will then be prompted to change it. Once you are there, there is a student aid section (where your loans are located), records>address change (where your e-mail address is located, and other info.

I am not sure if we will get a law school specific e-mail, or if the UH alias will be the only one.

« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2005, 03:08:27 PM »
I've been on the UH online system.  I was prompted to do so in order to verify that I was accepting the 18.5 offered in unsubsidized stafford loans.  Didn't everyone have to do this?  I had to go through a registration process in order for my Financial Aid status to be 'complete' according to the UH online system.

where2g0

« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2005, 03:22:46 PM »
I went to the site and set up the email to forward to my yahoo account, but I am not sure that it worked since I have not received any email from UH in my yahoo mail and i am not sure how to check the regular UH mail.  Has anyone received any email from UH or anything in the regular mail regarding enrollment, orientation, transcript requirements, etc, etc.?