Law School Discussion

Houston Roll Call

htrus

• View Profile
Re: Houston Roll Call
« Reply #130 on: June 20, 2005, 09:26:22 AM »
For me, I am hoping that I will never need an extra 20 gig of storage space considering it comes with 60 already. It seems that the price of storage space drops at a rapid rate from year to year, so unless you have an immediate need (a huge music library, or a large database) that you want to keep on your hard drive, I would wait for right now.

« Reply #131 on: June 20, 2005, 09:28:37 AM »
What about a blue tooth option?  I'm not the most computer-savvy person, but I've heard that you can get a trio/blackberry/anyPDA and if it has blue tooth and your laptop has bluetooth you can automatically link them together???  Is this true?  Does anyone know if this is an option for the UH designated laptop?

I would like to get a PDA (any suggestions?) and have it be capable to link up to Outlook on my laptop, I also want it to access internet, and have a cell phone.  This way I could check email, my calendar, and use the phone without having to carry 1) a laptop, 2) a planner, and 3) a cell phone.

Can this be done with the UH laptop?
Thanks!

htrus

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 20, 2005, 11:03:47 AM »
I would think a Blackberry using a major wireless carrier would work (cingular, verizon, sprint, etc.). Any standard device like that will be able to sync with a Dell Laptop. You may have to download some software upon purchase of the PDA, but that will be no big deal and the instructions will tell you how to do it.

where2g0

« Reply #133 on: June 20, 2005, 12:34:31 PM »
For me, I am hoping that I will never need an extra 20 gig of storage space considering it comes with 60 already. It seems that the price of storage space drops at a rapid rate from year to year, so unless you have an immediate need (a huge music library, or a large database) that you want to keep on your hard drive, I would wait for right now.

Thanks!

« Reply #134 on: June 23, 2005, 10:29:47 AM »
new info from UH admission office:

'I would suggest waiting until at least orientation to purchase books.  Book Swap will be open during orientation, and by that point, all of the books should be available in the bookstores.  You will receive your orientation information, schedule, book lists, and first day assignments in early August.'

« Reply #135 on: July 06, 2005, 07:16:16 AM »
I just ordered the straight set-up. I currently have the Dell Latitude 600 with a similar setup at work, and seems to allow me to do everything I want to do. I do not think it will come with the Microsoft Office Suite, but according to the Website you can buy it for $21 from Cougar Byte. Once as it comes, I will take a look at it before making the additional purchase.

Anyone else purchased their computer yet?  Assuming you went thru the UH/Dell link, did anyone get any add-ons to it?  Specifically, I'm wondering if the nearly $500 upgrade for the additional RAM is worth it.

Also, have any of y'all experimented with note taking software, like OneNote or Gobinder?  If so, would you mind posting your thoughts on either one?  They're a couple of other threads about this, but I thought I'd take a stab here as well.

« Reply #136 on: July 07, 2005, 08:58:31 AM »
Has anyone purchased or read any of the books from uh admit site 'summer reading list'?  I've ordered some from barnes and noble.  One of those books is $100!!!  Luckily most of them $20.

« Reply #137 on: July 07, 2005, 09:59:27 AM »
Has anyone purchased or read any of the books from uh admit site 'summer reading list'?  I've ordered some from barnes and noble.  One of those books is $100!!!  Luckily most of them $20.

Hey Tragic,

Do you mind posting the 'summer reading list'?  My old desktop is at CompUSA getting fixed and I'm stuck on a borrowed laptop.  My bloodly shortcut to the UH Admit Site is on my old desktop (dumb not to save my favorite shortcuts, I know, I know). 

Or if it's easier just to copy and paste the UH Admit Site link (and I'll look it up myself), that'll do just fine.

Thanks 'el mucho' in advance!

CD

« Reply #138 on: July 07, 2005, 10:20:35 AM »
Can someone give me directions to Papasitos? I want Mexican/Tex-Mex so bad! (And I have no idea where I'm going!)

« Reply #139 on: July 07, 2005, 11:02:31 AM »
Can someone give me directions to Papasitos? I want Mexican/Tex-Mex so bad! (And I have no idea where I'm going!)

Which one?