Law School Discussion

brain fart on sections

V

• MYYYYYY Turn !!!
    • View Profile
brain fart on sections
« on: April 26, 2005, 11:11:54 AM »
okay so here's what's happening with me and i'm wondering if any of you are or have expereince/d this?  i'm finding that on days when doing timed and or untimed sections only and intense review after, i do fairly well.  but later, say a day or two, when i go to another section, though i improve on the preceding section say, focused 2 days on LR and RC and increased or at the very least thoroughly understand my mistakes, then later, on a different day say, 1 or 2 days later after doing the preceding above stated, i go and try to do games, and it doesn't go so well. generally, i miss key deductions or misinfer a rule etc.., which facks up the whole game as you all know.  OR, when I focus soley on games for a few days, then go and attempt to do LR and/RC, it doesn't go well, and hence, my score decreases.  WTF????!!! 

someone once said one shouldn't schedule 2 math classes the same day b.c. it would be too taxing being that those 2 rubrics are similar.  so, i'm wondering if i should hold that statement akin to the lsat and opt to do 1 GAME and 1 RC rather than 1 RC or 1 LR.  Thoughts?

i'm asking those who have been practicing with timed and or untimed sections to categorize their approach please.  Maybe it's just me.  i don't know.  but if it's not, i would surely like to nip this in the bud now.

as always, thank you in advance. :)

abe

Re: brain fart on sections
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 11:15:53 AM »
Keep this in mind:

LSAT preparation is an individualized approach.

That being said, you should know when to take breaks.  When you work out at the gym, you need to rest muscles on alternating days.  Similarly, you need to do the same with your brain.  Try doing a LR/RC section on opposite days because those are very dense.  Then, I'd recommend doing a different LG section every day, if you have the time.  Games can actually be fun if you let it be.

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 11:42:00 AM »
I generally study by picking a focus for the day, whether it be LG, LR, or RC, like you do. I also spend a few minutes (say 10-15) on the other two sections I am not focusing on. I believe this allows me to retain the new skills/techniques I have acquired in those two sections. Just like any skill acquisition process, you need to make sure your improvements are becoming habitual. For some a couple day break may not hurt that process, for others it might.

V

• MYYYYYY Turn !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 08:45:10 PM »
i kindly thank you both for your very informative feedback.  :)

withj

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 09:44:54 PM »
Brings back some fond (and other not-so-fond) memories to see my old slap-happy avatar from 2/12 to 3/04.

V

• MYYYYYY Turn !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 10:32:02 AM »
Brings back some fond (and other not-so-fond) memories to see my old slap-happy avatar from 2/12 to 3/04.

hey withj, long time no see/ or talk!  how are things going?!?!  I'm going back to slap the shat out of this, this time around.  at least, that's my mission.

good luck to you!  :)