Law School Discussion

Defer and save $ or just go?

Re: Defer and save $ or just go?
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 11:10:09 PM »
Not that bad. It took me about a month and I was handicapped by the fact that I knew I was headed to NYU in a year and wasn't going to conceal it. Also, I only started looking at the end of the summer (having made my decision to defer a bit late.) I'd say that if you send resumes to the big firms at the beginning of summer it should be pretty easy. That's when most of the biggest firms in New York hire. Mine is large-ish and hires in a more ad-hoc way, as availabilities open up. The large firms hire, to a lesser degree, as availabilities open up as well.

What do firms pay paralegals? I'm sure the pay rates vary somewhat, depending on the size of the firm, but I figure there's a fairly standard range?

jonstern

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2005, 06:26:27 AM »
actually, in New York it seems to be pretty standard, no matter the size of the firm: $35,000

HippieLawChick

• Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2005, 06:36:39 AM »
What do firms pay paralegals?

It depends on the firm.  Experienced ones make much, much more.  I debated about even going to LS when I got my last bonus ($9,500)

I make almost double that starting number, and I work in a very small firm in a midwestern city.  I also think that the fact that I helped start the firm has helped. 

It's going to hurt to go into public interest and make $25,000 a year!

jonstern

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2005, 01:05:24 PM »
HippieLawChick: You're right, what I was saying is only true (as far as I know) of entry level paras. (I also should mention that if you don't mind overtime you can make a lot more than your base pay)

HippieLawChick

• Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2005, 10:31:10 PM »
I think that making more than entry level is a curse!  I am sooo tempted to wait a year and save more cash. 

if I didn't have to work with attorneys that aren't that bright (and you know what I mean), I would probably not go to law school at all. However, the fact that I train these people but can't give legal advice drives me crazy!

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2005, 10:55:57 PM »
To the OP:  I would just go ahead and go this year.  I had the same decision, 2nd career and had the choice to work another year and bank some cash.  Decided i'd rather be 1 year younger when I got out of LS. 

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2005, 06:55:53 AM »
To the OP:  I would just go ahead and go this year.  I had the same decision, 2nd career and had the choice to work another year and bank some cash.  Decided i'd rather be 1 year younger when I got out of LS. 

Well, as sound reasoning as that may be, I've decided to defer. The only reason I'm contemplating this is that I'm currently a professor, and I will only be teaching part of the year next year. So, for about 6 months, I'm essentially on vacation and yet earning my full pay. It has been a brutal year of work (just finished a book), so I think the rest (not to mention the extra cash) will do me well. I want to start my second career refreshed.