Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where are you from and what schools are you by?  (Read 18234 times)

NYBound05

Re: Where are you from and what schools are you by?
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2004, 02:56:46 PM »
What do you think about Harvard's area?

I currently live in Boston, so I'm near Harvard, BU, BC, Northeastern, Suffolk and New England School of Law.

I also grew up in Connecticut, so I'm familiar with Hartford/West Hartford, for those attending UConn.

Finally, I went to school in Michigan and am familiar with UM, but that's about it.  Anyway, Lavia is probably more qualified to discuss UM and Ann Arbor because she's still out there.

Rowgirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.3/165
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2004, 03:10:04 PM »
The area around Harvard is amazing, but quite expensive, especially rent.  Tons of stuff to do, lots of restaurants, mostly Harvard, Tufts, and MIT students or young professionals.  I absolutly love Cambridge and Harvard Square.  Any specific questions about the area?
In: BC, Northeastern ($), Quinnipaic ($$), Suffolk ($), Temple ($)
Waitlisted: W&M, W&L
Out: BU
Attending: BC

jbshane

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2004, 04:01:42 PM »
What do you think about Harvard's area?

I currently live in Boston, so I'm near Harvard, BU, BC, Northeastern, Suffolk and New England School of Law.

I also grew up in Connecticut, so I'm familiar with Hartford/West Hartford, for those attending UConn.

Finally, I went to school in Michigan and am familiar with UM, but that's about it.  Anyway, Lavia is probably more qualified to discuss UM and Ann Arbor because she's still out there.

Cambridge is amazing.  If I was staying in Boston after my current lease is up, I would probably move there.  Cheap rents compared to my current downtown location, but just as much to do and see.

NYBound05

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2004, 01:21:08 AM »
The area around Harvard is amazing, but quite expensive, especially rent.  Tons of stuff to do, lots of restaurants, mostly Harvard, Tufts, and MIT students or young professionals.  I absolutly love Cambridge and Harvard Square.  Any specific questions about the area?

Yeah, I have one specific question... what are the demographics like?  Is it a predominantly white community or is it pretty diverse?  What about nightclubs?  Have you ever been to any of them?  I'm going to need a place to let loose away from all the uptight cutthroat law students if I get into Harvard(and decide to go).  :)

Rowgirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.3/165
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2004, 09:47:16 AM »
The Boston area in itself isn't terribly diverse (and that may be an understatement).  However, the Cambridge area is typically where you'll find the most diversity.  It attracts a lot of foreigners and just the fact that Harvard and MIT are right there brings in a lot of the smartest young people from all walks of life.  My favorite place in Harvard Square is Mr. Bartley's Burger Cottage.  Trust me on this one, great people watching when the weather is nice and the most amazing burger anywhere.  As for clubs, even though its in the Fens and not so close to Harvard, Gillian's can't be beat in my opinion.  There's also tons of bars ranging from swanky upscale to total student dives, so honestly, there's something for just about everyone.  If you want to get away from the law school kids, there's a really good scene in some nearby areas like Davis Square or across the river at BU.  Because its such a college town, there are definatly tons of spots to get away from the Harvard Law kids.
In: BC, Northeastern ($), Quinnipaic ($$), Suffolk ($), Temple ($)
Waitlisted: W&M, W&L
Out: BU
Attending: BC

bob dizler

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2004, 11:19:52 AM »
Am I the only person that thinks it is kind of strange that everyone and their mother wants to go to law school at this very moment in time.  Law school is trendier than "low carb diets" and "mesh hats".  There are currently about 40,000 new lawyers being admitted to the bar each year, and the number steadily rising.  The economy is weak and many people think that there is a huge pot of gold waitng for them once they pass the bar. Actaully, I should say "if" they pass the bar, which is not always the case. So before you go and put yourself in 6 figure debt, and invest the next 3-5 years of your life in a fiercely competitive environment that only gets fiercer once you try to look for a job, maybe you folks should explore all possible options available to you.  Oh, I hope you dont mind working 80 hour weeks to pay off those debts.  Please reply, I'd love to hear other opinions.       

Report to moderator    Logged 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2004, 12:02:27 PM »
What a jerk...It's one thing to be critical of something and have an opinion and stating that opinion.  It's another case entirely when someone attacks a whole group of people for striving for something.  It's not like my possible joblessness after law school or trouble passing the bar will affect affect *you* bob, so lay off.

Getting back on topic, I'm also in Boston, and consequently live near all the local law schools.  I plan on going down to NC for law school, if all goes accordingly.  I need a change of pace.  I do love Boston though, and with all the schools in the area, it can be incredibly interesting.  I agree with what was said above, that the Harvard Sq area is one of the most diverse places in the city.  I love bumming around there on weekends and people watching.  I'll miss it when i leave next year!

Most people I've talked to love NC.  Any opinions from people there now or that went to school there?

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.84/162 University of Richmond 1L - FINALLY!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2004, 01:47:52 PM »
Most people I've talked to love NC.  Any opinions from people there now or that went to school there?

What part of NC?  I don't live there, but I've got several friends there and visit quite often.  Charlotte is a fantastic town.  Of course, I don't believe there are any LS there, but it's an idea of a city in which to practice.

As is the Raleigh area.  And I've heard Durham has lots of interesting, arty areas.  Cary has been ranked as one of the best cities to live, and is absolutely gorgeous.
If we do not find anything pleasant, at least we shall find something new.  ~ Voltaire, Candide

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2004, 02:05:32 PM »
My boyfriend and his parents lived in Chapel Hill for a while, my dad's visited various areas on business, and I have a friend doing his PhD at Duke now.  Those are specific good review I remember.  I mostly remember that I haven't really heard any negative opinions.

I'd love to end up at Duke in Raleigh/Durham.  I think UNC law is in Charlotte?  And then Wake Forest.  So most areas I'd be in if I got in to any of those sound like good areas.

Where's Cary in relation to the "college" towns?

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.84/162 University of Richmond 1L - FINALLY!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2004, 02:52:29 PM »
Cary is just west of Raleigh. Very affluent, small, clean, and beautiful.

Wake (in Winston-Salem) is about 1 1/2 hours northwest of Raleigh.  Duke (Durham) is actually about 1/2 hour north of Raleigh, and with traffic and constant construction don't even seem to be that close together.  UNC Law is actually in Chapel Hill, about half-way between Raleigh and Durham. 

Charoltte doesn't have any law schools, but it is a huge financial center.  If they had a law school, I likely would have tried hard for a spot.  Charlotte is about two and a half hours west of the Raleigh/Durham area and about an hour south of Wake Forest.

Good Luck!
If we do not find anything pleasant, at least we shall find something new.  ~ Voltaire, Candide