Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: U Chicago vs. UVa/Duke?  (Read 629 times)

emf

• View Profile
U Chicago vs. UVa/Duke?
« on: April 26, 2005, 07:03:43 PM »
Hi, I'm trying to decide between U Chicago and UVa/Duke. I group the second two together in my head since they seem fairly similar. They both gave me ~$40k, but Chicago gave me nothing (I tried bargaining). Also, Chicago is cold and expensive compared to the other two.

On the other hand, is Chicago's name better than UVa/Duke, in terms of getting a job?

The other BIG thing is Chicago's reputation. They work you to death, according to the word on the street. How true is that? I'm not scared of working hard, but it seems like they try to destroy you, at least compared to the other two.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and is UVa really like a law school version of a frat house?

sordomudo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: U Chicago vs. UVa/Duke?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 07:07:29 PM »
Take my comments for what they're worth, but I faced a similar decision and from what I gathered, Chicago's name far outshines the other two.  Depends, of course, on your career goals, but if you are looking at a top firm, clerkship, academia, etc., Chicago is the clear choice.  Chicago's faculty is also among the top two or three in the nation.

I also feared the being worked to death issue, but while visiting w/ current students they very emphatically conveyed the notion that 1L is hard like everywhere else and 2L and 3L are much, much easier b/c all you need is a "ranking" (there are no actual rankings at Chicago) around the median of the class to get your pick of jobs at virtually any firm in any city in the country.  For me, that and all the other benefits I saw when I visited outweighed the money (and location) benefits of UVa and Duke.

hocuspocus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 07:31:44 PM »
Chicago>UVA>Duke, unless you fall in love with UVA or Duke, or hate Chicago.

And there are no law school versions of a frat house.

I am probably going to UVA, even if I get off the waitlist at Chicago.  Chicago has an edge over UVA (and a significant edge over Duke) on several levels, especially in conservative circles, but I really like UVA and think the physical plant at Chicago is somewhat depressing.

waffles19

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 11:24:22 AM »
RUN, do not walk, to Chicago.  Come on, U of C is a true intellectual power house, one of the best institutions of higher learning in the world!  Unless you absolutely detest the idea of living in Chicago PLUS you have significant family issues drawing you to Durham/C-ville, this is a no brainer.  You have no idea how many people I would kill to go to U of C.