Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What's your take on this?  (Read 226 times)

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
What's your take on this?
« on: April 26, 2005, 06:42:49 PM »
I call IU-Bloomington to ask about my scholarship.  The receptionist says "two more weeks."  When I press a little bit about what is going on, she says "We're still waiting on some other outstanding applicants, so when we hear from them, we'll be able to make a decision."

Now here's where this gets confusing and a little shady.  IU-Bloomington has no seat deposits, rather just a binding acceptance of the offer of admission.  So if you say you're going to the law school, you're going.

So here's my questions.  What "response" are they waiting for?  Am I ahead of the game by making it very clear that I will not be attending without the scholarship, or behind the 8-ball because I'm not committed to attending already?  Basically is the law school trying to use the scholarship to attract students, or to reward those committed to attending?  And if the unwritten rule is that you need to have said you're coming to get the scholarship, does anyone find that a little shady that you have to commit to the school without full information about your financial aid package?  I'm not saying the scholarship doesn't exist, but what if they try to get the best of the admitted applicants to commit based on the possibility of getting the scholarship?

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What's your take on this?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 06:46:46 PM »
I don't see any reason why they wouldn't tell you.  They hand out scholarships to get students to come.  After someone has agreed to attend, why would the school give them a scholarship.  And why would a school wait to tell you when they know another school could offer a scholarship that might lose a student that would have attended with the scholarship.  Seems funny.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 06:52:21 PM »
I don't see any reason why they wouldn't tell you.  They hand out scholarships to get students to come.  After someone has agreed to attend, why would the school give them a scholarship.  And why would a school wait to tell you when they know another school could offer a scholarship that might lose a student that would have attended with the scholarship.  Seems funny.
That's funny that you said that, because that's exactly what's about to happen if they don't let me know soon.  A better offer is going to cause me to go somewhere else when I would go there.

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 06:56:27 PM »
So that game theory I learned wasn't a waste?

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 06:58:38 PM »
So that game theory I learned wasn't a waste?
Guess not.  I really wonder about my consipracy theory though.  I would probably put it past IU to do something like this.  I've heard of some horror stories about financial aid traps that schools set, but never from a place like IU.