10 (15.4%)
Northwestern
13 (20%)
UVA
37 (56.9%)
USC
5 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Help me choose or I'm drawing out of a hat.....

Help me choose or I'm drawing out of a hat.....
« on: April 26, 2005, 10:01:49 AM »
GULC, NU, USC, or UVA

Need to pick one today or tomorrow to meet deposit deadlines. 

Originally I thought I'd be interested in trade law, but now I'm thinking maybe entertainment or something totally different and fun I learn about in school. 

Currently live in DC area but am from LA area. 

Have some money at UVA, NU and GULC (which they ask me to pay back) and none at USC.

ANYone that has ANY advice, suggestions, whatever, totally welcome even the XOXO trolls. 

jacy85

• View Profile
Re: Help me choose or I'm drawing out of a hat.....
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 10:04:31 AM »
UVA, just because I'm partial and it was my #1 "dream-on" choice.  :)

I don't really know the pros/cons of the others, so take that for what it's worth.  Good luck making your decision though.  You've got some awesome options!

jdw112

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 10:06:20 AM »
Immediately drop USC from the list. They are the least prestigious of the schools, and gave you no money. If they arethe best at entertainment law, of which I have no knowledge, then maybe they are worth considering for connections. I'd drop GULC in favor of UVA or NU. I have heard wonderful things about UVA and NU, so it would be a battle, but whittling it down this far is impressive enough for me :P

I have to run out. I'll give it some thought and post again later.

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 10:08:54 AM »
Thanks for the quick responses!

Quite literally I have all of the paperwork for all of the schools in my bag here at work and am hoping to mail something off tonight or tomorrow.  I visited all of the schools and none of them gave me butterflies or anything, but are law schools supposed to give you butterflies?

ccorsi

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 10:09:56 AM »
Since it is your life and I get to live vicariously through you - go to Georgetown.

UVA may be higher ranked but I like the way Georgetown rolls off the tongue.

C2

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 10:18:50 AM »
I would choose UVA. All of my reasons are my opinions but maybe you share some of them:

1) I'm from the Northeast so UVA is closer than most of the others to my friends & family.

2) UVA is in a beautiful place. I think that the surrounding area plays a big role in selecting where I will be for 3 years.

3) UVA gave you grant money

4) The cost of living is the lowest at UVA. Thi means a lot when you are a poor student for 3 years.

5) More outdoor activites in the VA area (that I like to do) such as: hiking, biking, and skiing.

lsatposter

• Northwestern '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 10:36:01 AM »
NU damnit. See you there. Done. End of story. Don't go to UVA. The environment at NU is so much better (a comment made but based in no fact what so ever) and you should just go there.

:)

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 10:39:01 AM »
I added a poll once I figured out how to do that....

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 10:46:35 AM »
I went with my gut and chose UVA over Georgetown (and Michigan) with similiar amounts of money (G-town $ you have to pay back and is impacted by your summer earnings). I am from Boston and went to school in NYC so I am a city girl, but I didn't feel anything for Georgetown. I could see myself enjoying being in DC, but not the actual law school experience. Whereas, when I visited UVA I could see myself loving the law school experience and being midly bored with Charlottesville (but not stuck since it's only 2 hrs from DC!!!).

For me, the only selling point for Georgetown was its proximity to organizations for which you could intern. I had to ask myself was the possibility of working for an organization during 2L or 3L worth more than enjoying my time at UVA. The answer was ....uhhh.....NO. Goodbye G-town.

I don't have much to say about NU. Chicago seems like a great place to be. I like their international team projects. The students will be slightly older and as a result perhaps more focused.

Good luck, anyway

manserunt

• The princess on her throne
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 10:49:58 AM »
Actually, picking out of a hat isn't such a bad idea.  Put all four names in a hat.  Tell yourself that whichever name you pick is the school you're definitely attending.  Pick a name.  Do you feel a twinge of disappointment?  If so, pick again.  Chances are you have a subconscious preference that this exercise will bring to the front of your mind, and you'll realize what to do.

So, in short, the exercise isn't actually to let fate decide for you, but to see how your mind reacts when told that it "must" attend one school or other.  Whichever "choice" makes you feel less anxious is the one your subconscious mind might already be leaning towards.