Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: another school vs. school question; duke vs. umich  (Read 922 times)

DOC

• View Profile
another school vs. school question; duke vs. umich
« on: April 26, 2005, 12:15:27 PM »
ok...everyone's prob sick of giving advice about what school to pick over another.  but i've been beating myself up over this for a while and time's running out.  i tried looking for a duke vs. umich thread but didn't find one...so here's mine.

duke vs. umich.

i'm not quite sure what kind of law i want to study...i received similar impressions from both schools when i visited...they're both in small town areas...i like the weather in durham, but don't mind the cold in ann arbor...and i received similar amounts of $ from both.  and i'm looking to work in nyc after graduating, and both schools seem to place pretty well in nyc.

would you say in terms of rep and all that stuff they're equal?...i doubt i'd have a car, so would ann arbor be more convenient?..which in school are students more competitive?..

thanks for any advice.

lsatposter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Northwestern '08
    • View Profile
Re: another school vs. school question; duke vs. umich
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 12:19:22 PM »
UM, hands down. You don't know what you want to do but you think it might be in NYC. Go to the school with the best reputation. Now, if you said democratic politics, I might push you to Duke because its southern.
Attending: Northwestern School of Law

bhsueiu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 12:52:50 PM »
I applied to Duke and was rejected, so let that inform what I'm about to say.

I applied only to NC schools because I wasn't ready to move out of state, but I got an application with a letter sent to me by Michigan based on my lsdas stuff...and the letter was SO nice (even without a fee waiver).  And they have a great Q&A section for those that are waitlisted...in fact, I found thier website really helpful in general.  On the other hand, Duke sent me nothing, when I met some of thier people at various forums, I wasn't all that impressed by the way I was treated (though I wasn't treated unfairly either-more indifferently).  I guess what I'm getting is that neither of these schools necessarily need to do recruiting, but Michigan for whatever reason wanted me to have thier application.  Even at my most cynical (they just want people with good numbers to apply to help out thier rankings) seems to me the fact they are taking active measures to help out thier ranking will only serve me in the long run as a graduate.  If things don't work out for me this year, I'll definitely be applying there next year (and not to Duke).

DOC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 11:43:12 PM »
i've asked a bunch of people and vote seems to be split right down the middle.  half for duke, half for umich...i'm going nuts  :'(

is there anyone else who's in the same boat as i am...UM vs. Duke??

waffles19

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 10:59:28 AM »
I would take Michigan without a second of hesitation for the following reasons:

1. Michigan's reputation is consistently and undeniably stronger than Duke's.  Let's face it, U of M law is among the top top top law schools in the nation, and part of a truly world class academic institution.  Of course, Duke is still a great school, but Michigan is simply in another class.  Lawyers, judges, and professors agree.

2.  Facilities- Mich's law campus is jaw-dropping.  Living in the Lawyer's Club seems surreal...could you imagine eating in that cafeteria every day?  Duke, on the other hand, has among the worst facilities of the T-14.

3.  Student body- I'm not very familiar with Michigan's student body, but I can tell you from first-hand experience that Duke students tend to be pretty homogenous and relatively conservative.  Seems to me that Mich is quite a bit more liberal/open-minded, which would be HUGE for me.  On a similar note, I constantly hear about how Duke's student body is pretty apatheic and are strongly steered into the biglaw thing.  Mich on the other hand is always played up as being more intellectually vibrant (though most of their students also pursue biglaw).

adverseeffect

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 02:48:36 PM »
hi doc,

michigan and duke were my top two as well.  for the first two reasons that waffles19 mentions above, i chose michigan.  i'm planning on living in the lawyers club for my first year and will not have a car.  the law quad is right in the center of campus and only a few blocks away from downtown ann arbor.  i visited both schools for admitted students weekend and although i really liked duke and thought the student body and faculty was awesome, i just couldn't see myself picking it over michigan.

here's my last plug today for the michigan yahoo discussion group.  there are current students, admitted students who are attending michigan and admitted students who are still deciding:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MichiganLaw2005/

feel free to PM me if you weren't able to visit and would like more info!

DOC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 12:42:49 AM »
thanks guys; i really appreciate the help.  everything said reinforced what i was thinking i guess...but whether i go to UM or Duke i'd always be 'haunted' with the feeling of "what if i had gone to the other school".  same thing happened for college...ahh well..i can't complain...i'm lucky i got into those schools at all.

JAPAUL25

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 11:32:31 PM »
from visiting both schools and talking to students i would probably choose duke .... michigan is very cold and the overall feedback i get is that duke gives you more options upon graduation ....

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005, 11:35:02 PM »
from visiting both schools and talking to students i would probably choose duke .... michigan is very cold and the overall feedback i get is that duke gives you more options upon graduation ....

This seems like the 100th Duke or UM thread here.  ;D

My view is that they are comparable.  Pick the one you like better. 

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2005, 04:53:35 AM »
Agreed. Unless Academia is a possibility in your future, then go with UM. Or if you plan on practicing in NC, the Duke alumni connection may be helpful.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.