Law School Discussion

"Sorry, We don't give admisssions decisions over the phone..."

After five months of waiting and waiting and waiting, you get the notice or you simply just find out that a decision has been made.  SO TELL ME WHAT IT IS!  What difference can it possibly make whether you find out over the phone or in the mail?  Does it honestly make it too personal when an admisssions staff member or even the dean tells you your decision?  Is a candidate going to go postal or something?  I'm sure there's a story like that somewhere.  Some of the worst pieces of news in life (death notifications, pink slips, etc...) are given in person.  And yet perhaps a very positive thing, acceptance to law school, has to be on a form letter.  C'MON!  I'm guessing if I didn't get an email or a phone call first, I probably was either waitlisted or outright rejected.  So have some guts and tell me so.  The worst I could do is yell over the phone.  SHeesh!  Anyone else frustrated by this comment?

Re: "Sorry, We don't give admisssions decisions over the phone..."
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 08:32:12 AM »
As someone who's job function is to fire people, I can understand this policy as much I'm frustrated with it myself.

Sure, *maybe* the worst you can do is yell...and we all know that worse things can happen.  Trust me, when you're in the position of firing (or just disciplining employees in another fashion), or if you've been exposed to workplace violence, you'll understand.

But think...if your staff members are going to be routinely giving out rejections over the phone (and if they can blanketly do so), they'll be doing a ton a day.  Would you really want to subject your staff to being yelled at on a routine basis?  I can't imagine that people would stay on that job for long, especially considering that most of these people aren't making great money and are pretty swamped during the admissions process as it is.

So, yup, I'm frustrated because I've had to put down multiple seat deposits while waiting to hear from schools I'd rather go to, but I understand why this is the general policy.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 08:40:29 AM »
Mail them a fetid lemur to show your disgust.

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 08:41:45 AM »
As someone who's job function is to fire people, I can understand this policy as much I'm frustrated with it myself.

Sure, *maybe* the worst you can do is yell...and we all know that worse things can happen.  Trust me, when you're in the position of firing (or just disciplining employees in another fashion), or if you've been exposed to workplace violence, you'll understand.

But think...if your staff members are going to be routinely giving out rejections over the phone (and if they can blanketly do so), they'll be doing a ton a day.  Would you really want to subject your staff to being yelled at on a routine basis?  I can't imagine that people would stay on that job for long, especially considering that most of these people aren't making great money and are pretty swamped during the admissions process as it is.

So, yup, I'm frustrated because I've had to put down multiple seat deposits while waiting to hear from schools I'd rather go to, but I understand why this is the general policy.

---------------------------------------------

I can understand trying to care for the mental well being of the staff.  I guess, being a police officer myself, I'm used to being yelled at a lot by angry people.  :)

NJHandyGirl

• Are you listening or are you waiting to talk?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 10:17:37 AM »
I'm frustrated by this also, but, I can just imagine the stories they would hear if they gave decisions on the phone. Either way, someone would express their joy or their dismay and the person on the other end would have to listen (and listen, and listen).

No way they would get through "tons" of calls/day.  :-X

Hopefully the drama ends soon!
Good luck everyone!

zenbiddie

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 10:22:47 AM »

how bout a sleeping lemur instead

NJHandyGirl

• Are you listening or are you waiting to talk?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 10:27:04 AM »
How cute is that!!!!

HippieLawChick

• Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 10:27:56 AM »
I think the point of the policy is to keep people from calling. As someone who gets 100 phone calls from clients a day, I understand wanting to keep call volume down.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 12:11:56 PM »

how bout a sleeping lemur instead

Doesn't have the same effect.

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 08:59:24 PM »
What kind of work do you do, seriously?