Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: WWII Memorial  (Read 2662 times)

thechoson

WWII Memorial
« on: May 30, 2004, 03:38:00 PM »
While we all have our differences over the war in Iraq, and wars in general, I think we should remember the "Greatest Generation", who paid a great price for what I feel was a just war.  The Memorial Day celebrations, and the 60th anniversary of D-Day are good times to remember the sacrifices of that generation.

Also, one thing that gets overlooked is that the United States did not win that war alone. 50 million people worldwide lost their lives, almost half  in the Soviet Union.  So many people forget that price the people of Russia had to pay as their country stood virtually alone against Hitler for a long time.

So let's remember ALL those that lost their lives in WWII, including this country's Greatest Generation.

Munkeysgrrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: WWII Memorial
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2004, 03:45:16 PM »
While we all have our differences over the war in Iraq, and wars in general, I think we should remember the "Greatest Generation", who paid a great price for what I feel was a just war.  The Memorial Day celebrations, and the 60th anniversary of D-Day are good times to remember the sacrifices of that generation.

Also, one thing that gets overlooked is that the United States did not win that war alone. 50 million people worldwide lost their lives, almost half  in the Soviet Union.  So many people forget that price the people of Russia had to pay as their country stood virtually alone against Hitler for a long time.

So let's remember ALL those that lost their lives in WWII, including this country's Greatest Generation.

I second that, Chosen.  My Gramps fought in WWII and he is awesome.  I currently do research for the dept. of veteran's affairs, and let me tell you- it isn't pretty.
Loyola LA Here I Come!!

LambdaChi03

• Sr. Citizen
  • BS in Forensic Science, Baylor; KU Law
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2004, 04:06:02 PM »
Munkeysgrrl...what kind of research do you do for the Dept. of Veterans Affairs?  I did neuroscience/psychology research for the Dept. of Veterans Affairs a couple of years ago, and I must agree with you that it is never a pretty sight.  Working at the Waco VA Hospital really opened my eyes to the things these veterans went through to protect our country.  It seems to me that the government has not paid enough tribute to them or given them the benefits that they deserve.

Munkeysgrrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2004, 04:12:14 PM »
Munkeysgrrl...what kind of research do you do for the Dept. of Veterans Affairs?  I did neuroscience/psychology research for the Dept. of Veterans Affairs a couple of years ago, and I must agree with you that it is never a pretty sight.  Working at the Waco VA Hospital really opened my eyes to the things these veterans went through to protect our country.  It seems to me that the government has not paid enough tribute to them or given them the benefits that they deserve.

You are exactly right, Lambda.  I conduct research evaluating Mental Health and subtance use treatment programs with the VA and Stanford Psychology Dept.  After conducting over 50 assessments with individual vets, I have become quite jaded regarding their treatment by the gov.  The bottom line is that there is not enough funding allocated to treat these people and many of them end up slipping through the cracks.  Many of my patients have died or dissapeared because of the lack of treatment available.  Programs are full, staff is overworked, and suicidal patients are on months long waiting lists for programs.  It is awful. 
Loyola LA Here I Come!!

LambdaChi03

• Sr. Citizen
  • BS in Forensic Science, Baylor; KU Law
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2004, 04:23:41 PM »
Munkeysgrrl, did you by chance work with any of the following?

SIFFM (Structured Interview for the Five Factor Model)
TCI (Temperament and Character Inventory)
PDI-IV (Personality Disorder Interview-IV)
TAT (Thematic Apperception Test)
ROD (Rorschach Oral Dependency Scale)

Most of my research at the VA Medical Center consisted of administering these tests and measuring whether certain psychological disorders were predicted by some, but not others.  I must say, although it was very interesting, it was also a sad experience at times.  I heard MANY interesting war stories, but they weren't always very pleasant.

jgruber

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2004, 04:47:02 PM »
We owe a great debt to those who fought in WWII and to all who fought for our country.

They faced their duty and responsibility to defend this country.

I just wish that our leaders were as responsible in deciding when and where to send our troops.  But that is another dicussion.

Munkeysgrrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2004, 06:12:23 PM »
Munkeysgrrl, did you by chance work with any of the following?

SIFFM (Structured Interview for the Five Factor Model)
TCI (Temperament and Character Inventory)
PDI-IV (Personality Disorder Interview-IV)
TAT (Thematic Apperception Test)
ROD (Rorschach Oral Dependency Scale)

Most of my research at the VA Medical Center consisted of administering these tests and measuring whether certain psychological disorders were predicted by some, but not others.  I must say, although it was very interesting, it was also a sad experience at times.  I heard MANY interesting war stories, but they weren't always very pleasant.

Actually we are using the CDIS (computerized diagnostic interview schedule), which is modeled from the DSM-IV.  It covers all of the major psychiatric and substance use disorders.  We also administer a survey which includes several psychometric scales.  We haven't used the scales you mentioned above.  Our main interests are depressive and anxiety disorders, psychoses, PTSD, and of course, substance use. 

I, too have heard many stories, most of which are very disturbing.  I was amazed at how many male vets have been exposed to Military Sexual Trauma at the hands of their superiors.   :-[
Loyola LA Here I Come!!