Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UCLA Bound  (Read 5676 times)

jenery

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: UCLA Bound
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2005, 11:39:51 AM »
Nope, no orientation schedule for me yet either. I just take every 'deadline' they send out with a grain of salt now :D

I did find out yesterday I can buy a parking permit, which I wasn't expecting.  I was just going to take the bus.

Shira

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2005, 04:23:43 PM »
Oh, NICE! How far away do you live?

Nope, no orientation schedule for me yet either. I just take every 'deadline' they send out with a grain of salt now :D

I did find out yesterday I can buy a parking permit, which I wasn't expecting.  I was just going to take the bus.
3.4ish, mid-160's
Accepted: UCLA, Loyola (Los Angeles)
Rejected: USC (whatever!)

*YAY!!!!!!!!*

AubRedux

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2005, 07:37:46 PM »
I haven't gotten the orientation schedule either...  But speaking of deadlines- have any of you attended a debt management session?  I am confused, b/c after I finished my loan entrance thing w/ accessgroup it said that a hold would be put on my loans until I went to a debt management session, but UCLA's own website says that the sessions will be offered during orientation... however since fees are due by the 20th and orientation is 18-19 that seems cutting it close.

Shira

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2005, 08:33:20 PM »
I don't know; I went to UCLA for undergrad and it was my impression that the sessions were for first time borrowers through UCLA.

I haven't gotten the orientation schedule either...  But speaking of deadlines- have any of you attended a debt management session?  I am confused, b/c after I finished my loan entrance thing w/ accessgroup it said that a hold would be put on my loans until I went to a debt management session, but UCLA's own website says that the sessions will be offered during orientation... however since fees are due by the 20th and orientation is 18-19 that seems cutting it close.
3.4ish, mid-160's

*YAY!!!!!!!!*

jenery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2005, 11:14:17 AM »
On the FAO website it says you can fulfill the debt counseling session online, which I did.  My loans haven't been disbursed yet though and URSA says I have WAY less 'anticipated financial aid' than I had anticipated (less than even my Staffords).  But the financial aid office never calls me back.  Ever.  It's kind of annoying.

ETA: Ok, I got off the phone with financial aid and they said to totally ignore whatever it says on URSA.  Loans will start being disbursed tonight and continue through next week. 

Shira, I live in UA South, off Sawtelle.  I can't decide if I should buy the permit or not!  I don't want to drive to school but I feel like a schmuck passing on the chance to have a parking pass  ;)

AubRedux

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2005, 02:13:26 PM »
Thanks Shira and Jenery- I just talked to the fin aid office too and I didn't realize that the entrance cousneling you can do online is the same as the debt management session (good news for me). 

On the FAO website it says you can fulfill the debt counseling session online, which I did.  My loans haven't been disbursed yet though and URSA says I have WAY less 'anticipated financial aid' than I had anticipated (less than even my Staffords).  But the financial aid office never calls me back.  Ever.  It's kind of annoying.

ETA: Ok, I got off the phone with financial aid and they said to totally ignore whatever it says on URSA. Loans will start being disbursed tonight and continue through next week.

Shira, I live in UA South, off Sawtelle. I can't decide if I should buy the permit or not! I don't want to drive to school but I feel like a schmuck passing on the chance to have a parking pass ;)

Shira

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2005, 03:01:22 PM »
If you're getting money from multiple places (private, grant, stafford) I'd imagine they'd probably be deposited into your BAR account at different times of the day. Yeah they seem to be really busy and rarely return phone calls but if you can actually get somebody on the phone they're very nice and helpful.

Buy the parking pass. You may not want to drive to classes, but when you're studying late in the library until after dark, sticking around for a study group, having to bring more books than usual, or even just eating dinner on campus, you'll be thankful you don't have to take the bus home or fork over $7 every single time and then struggle to find a spot that's not reserved for permit parking. But that's just my opinion. :-D

ETA: Ok, I got off the phone with financial aid and they said to totally ignore whatever it says on URSA.  Loans will start being disbursed tonight and continue through next week. 

Shira, I live in UA South, off Sawtelle.  I can't decide if I should buy the permit or not!  I don't want to drive to school but I feel like a schmuck passing on the chance to have a parking pass  ;)
3.4ish, mid-160's

*YAY!!!!!!!!*

jenery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2005, 04:23:34 PM »
Buy the parking pass. You may not want to drive to classes, but when you're studying late in the library until after dark, sticking around for a study group, having to bring more books than usual, or even just eating dinner on campus, you'll be thankful you don't have to take the bus home or fork over $7 every single time and then struggle to find a spot that's not reserved for permit parking. But that's just my opinion. :-D

Yeah, I'm thinking about just doing it if I don't sell my car.  Do you know if you can return the pass for a refund partway through the year? 

The orientation schedule was just posted (in a weird .txt-like format) on the "Admitted student" section of the UCLA Law website.  Looks like it is split up by sections and goes from 9:30 - 5 on Thursday and from 9:30 - lunchtime on Friday.  Now I'm getting excited :)

Shira

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2005, 05:58:35 PM »
I don't know; I've never gotten a parking pass before. OOoh, I'll go check out the schedule!!

Yeah, I'm thinking about just doing it if I don't sell my car.  Do you know if you can return the pass for a refund partway through the year? 

The orientation schedule was just posted (in a weird .txt-like format) on the "Admitted student" section of the UCLA Law website.  Looks like it is split up by sections and goes from 9:30 - 5 on Thursday and from 9:30 - lunchtime on Friday.  Now I'm getting excited :)
3.4ish, mid-160's

*YAY!!!!!!!!*

la-man

• Sr. Citizen
  • I need some gel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2005, 02:27:50 PM »
you CAN return your your parking permit during the year. you will get refunded a prorated rate. It also depends on which type of pass you buy. You can just buy a monthly pass and renew so as long as you need it. The refund applies to quarter or annual passes.... (i asked these questions when i was getting mine) good luck.
UCLA 1L.