Law School Discussion

Do Law firms care about rankings?

Do Law firms care about rankings?
« on: May 30, 2004, 10:36:20 AM »
Ok all check this out... I pay very close attention to the rankings and I pay close attention to what big law firms look for in an applicant.

I have always heard to get into a big, prestigious, high paying law firm, you need to get top grades from a "TOP SCHOOL".... now my question is this.... when they saw "top school" do they mean your typical tier 1 schools like Harvard, Stanford, Yale, U of Chicago, etc. Or do they mean pretty much any top school according to the rankings.... this would include the above aforementioned schools but it would also include schools like U of Iowa (ranked 22) U of I(somewhere around 28) U of Washington (about 34) etc. SO when prestigious law firms ask for "top schools" do they mean according to the rankings or not?

thechoson

Re: Do Law firms care about rankings?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2004, 04:07:22 PM »
Yes, they mean according to the rankings.  The BIG TIME FIRMS, the Vault 50 or 100 firms.  Look them up, on nalpdirectory.  Guess where the majority of them do on campus interviews. 

Locks- Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, New York

Majority also interviews at- Northwestern, Boalt, Duke, Penn, Michigan, Virginia, Cornell, and Georgetown

Your mythical Top 14 schools.  Of course , the ultra prestigious firms want more students from the Locks- HYS and CCN.  They usually will also interview at the rest, but you have to be at the top of your class.  But this is for the ULTRA PRESTIGIOUS firms, a small minority of possible employers.

Otherwise, interviews are done at local schools that are very strong.  Thus Iowa, Wisconsin, or Minnesota, schools that are ranked high but are still not in the elite group, are more regional schools.