Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Texas Tech in Fall '05  (Read 22735 times)

TexasTiger14

• Sr. Citizen
  • War Eagle!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - burgamy14
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Texas Tech in Fall '05
« Reply #330 on: July 14, 2005, 02:38:05 AM »
Okay, so I printed out the textbook list earlier and have been doing a little online shopping all night and wound up buying eigtht of the eleven or twelve total books we haveta buy for my section (4) Well, it turns out I'm either a bigger genius, or simply a better shopper than Rob because I saved even more money than he did.  ;D

www.campusi.com is the way to go, yu can type in the book name, author name, or in the event your teacher was proactive enough, the ISBN #. It searched half.com, amazon.com, and a few other places to list the cheapest one in order (similiar to expedia with airfare).

I double checked the books with the "textbook" tab on the current student pages to see if the '05 booklist had changed any from the '04 one, well mine hadn't, and the "textbook" links you to a pdf page which has a majority of the ISBN #'s or at least the edition # or year. Took a little work but I'm 99.9% sure I bought the right books.

Anyway, for the eight books I bought tonight, the list price for them new at the Texas Tech bookstore was $437. Used at the bookstore they were still $329. But I only paid a total of $129 for them by buying online through campusi.com

yes, I know......I am the man, haha

I'm also leading the bidding for another book I haveta buy that retails for 37 bucks used........the going price right now is $1.75 (though there are a few days left in the bidding)

Anyway, just wanted to let everyone in on the find...... :)

P.S. I also know how inherently stupid/gay I must sound by being so excited about buying law school books........ ::)
Texas Tech Law Class of '08

Texan29

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas Tech Law Bound!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 14, 2005, 12:08:05 PM »
Ok, to all the other Section 1 people on this thread, Have you noticed that those of you that have Bard for Torts 1 like me will have to read Getting to Maybe? That is pretty cool!

Maybe that's a clue that she actually wants us to do well!!! I'm such a nerd, I'm so excited about ordering law school books. I need a life all I'm doing is planning last minute wedding details and obsessing about moving to Lubbock on the 5th of august.

In other news, I got a quote on a moving company around here and its actually only $200 more to have a moving company move me than it is to rent a uhaul and drive myself! So needless to say, I'm not driving a uhaul down there!
Texas Tech Law: We don't just pass the bar, we practically live there!

texas1

« Reply #332 on: July 14, 2005, 05:52:04 PM »
Okay, so I printed out the textbook list earlier and have been doing a little online shopping all night and wound up buying eigtht of the eleven or twelve total books we haveta buy for my section (4) Well, it turns out I'm either a bigger genius, or simply a better shopper than Rob because I saved even more money than he did.  ;D

www.campusi.com is the way to go, yu can type in the book name, author name, or in the event your teacher was proactive enough, the ISBN #. It searched half.com, amazon.com, and a few other places to list the cheapest one in order (similiar to expedia with airfare).

I double checked the books with the "textbook" tab on the current student pages to see if the '05 booklist had changed any from the '04 one, well mine hadn't, and the "textbook" links you to a pdf page which has a majority of the ISBN #'s or at least the edition # or year. Took a little work but I'm 99.9% sure I bought the right books.

Anyway, for the eight books I bought tonight, the list price for them new at the Texas Tech bookstore was $437. Used at the bookstore they were still $329. But I only paid a total of $129 for them by buying online through campusi.com

yes, I know......I am the man, haha

I'm also leading the bidding for another book I haveta buy that retails for 37 bucks used........the going price right now is $1.75 (though there are a few days left in the bidding)

Anyway, just wanted to let everyone in on the find...... :)

P.S. I also know how inherently stupid/gay I must sound by being so excited about buying law school books........ ::)

I guess you guys are buying the used textbooks -

What are everyone's thoughts on this? I had pretty much decided that in case a previous instructor stressed different material, or in case the textbooks previous owner was a "C" student, I didn't want to be misled by their notations, or underlining. As a result I was going with primarily new books.

Am I crazy - should I be looking at all used texts too?

aron

ainsworth

• I heart WC
    • AOL Instant Messenger - emilyainsworth79
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ainsworthe
    • View Profile
    • Tech Law Women's Caucus
    • Email
« Reply #333 on: July 14, 2005, 07:08:24 PM »
HOWDY! HOWDY! HOWDY!

FYI- I just had the BEST hillbilly vacation ever! I have been trying to visit as many places in around Georgia as I can before Dustin and I leave the southeast. A bunch of my elementary teacher friends got together and decided to head up to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee this week for some country fun- Dolly Parton style! We went to Dollywood and a delightfully tacky good time. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is looking for cheap entertainment and isn't afraid to be unsophisticated.

:)  ;)  :D

Ok, to all the other Section 1 people on this thread, Have you noticed that those of you that have Bard for Torts 1 like me will have to read Getting to Maybe? That is pretty cool!
She was really nice when we met her- she made a real point to go around and introduce herself to most of the prospective students at the reception. I agree that she wants us to do well!

Silly question: is buying one of these laptops absolutely necessary?
I don't think so- I would just talk to someone about system requirements in case we use a specific software for exams, etc....

Will be moved into Lubbock at Willow Hill on June 27th: 13 days from now. Who's gonna be there with me? I'm going to bored as hell for the first week. ???
Dustin and I are leaving Atlanta on the 29th and should roll into Lubbock late on the 30th. We are staying at a friend's house until the truck arrives with the furniture for our house. We should meet up and have a beer and Dustin and I can introduce you to the people we know in Lubbock.

Did buy the Dell 700m last night though! Now all I have to do is wait for it to come in so I can play with it!
Dustin's dad has that model and it kicks ass! I think you are really going to like it.

Okay- I am officially caught up with all the new posts!
;) Emily

istlln348

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #334 on: July 14, 2005, 07:53:19 PM »
Aron,
Most of the books I found used online had almost no markings in them at all.  I've receieved five, and they've all been pristine.  If you go onto websites like half.com, the sellers must tell you in what condition the book(s) are.  If someone says that the book has highlighting from cover to cover, for example, then you don't buy the book; as did I.  It's a good way to save money. 

I would say that a new laptop isn't necessary for law school: the main program you're going to be using is Microsoft Word, a program that a 1992 Pentium 1 computer can run easily. 

If I were you guys I'd be skeptical of buying that Getting to Maybe book.  Often times, I've read, law school professors will contribute to a particular text and then require his or her students to buy it so that he or she may collect the royalties.  Chances are, you'll probably never use it in class. 

Woohoo! I'll have some people to hang out with until Kyle gets there on the 7th of Aug.

12 days in counting...

texas1

« Reply #335 on: July 14, 2005, 10:31:31 PM »
Aron,
Most of the books I found used online had almost no markings in them at all.  I've receieved five, and they've all been pristine.  If you go onto websites like half.com, the sellers must tell you in what condition the book(s) are.  If someone says that the book has highlighting from cover to cover, for example, then you don't buy the book; as did I.  It's a good way to save money. 

I would say that a new laptop isn't necessary for law school: the main program you're going to be using is Microsoft Word, a program that a 1992 Pentium 1 computer can run easily. 

If I were you guys I'd be skeptical of buying that Getting to Maybe book.  Often times, I've read, law school professors will contribute to a particular text and then require his or her students to buy it so that he or she may collect the royalties.  Chances are, you'll probably never use it in class. 

Woohoo! I'll have some people to hang out with until Kyle gets there on the 7th of Aug.

12 days in counting...

Thanks!

Also - I will be there on the 1st or 2nd of August.

TexasTiger14

• Sr. Citizen
  • War Eagle!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - burgamy14
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #336 on: July 14, 2005, 11:25:30 PM »
I made sure most of the books I got were listed as being as "very good" in condition, I'm sure most will have highlighting on some sections, but i rarely highlight and usually dont even pay mind to it. I'm more of a write in the margins/small colored bookmark kind of guy.

And I'm still leading the bidding at $1.75 for the one textbook on ebay.  ;D
Texas Tech Law Class of '08

dmhowell111

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #337 on: July 15, 2005, 04:51:11 PM »
Hey everyone. If you haven't bought your laptop yet, I have the inside scoop on a promo that Dell will be running starting on Thursday, 7/21 at 10am Central. Feel free to email me at dmhowell111@yahoo.com and I can forward you the info.

UTERIC3232

• AOL Instant Messenger - uteric3232
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #338 on: July 15, 2005, 10:01:35 PM »
hey everyone,  I got an email from tech yesterday regarding fall due dates.  Right before I opened it I deleted it on accident and could not recover it.  Does anyone have it?  If so can you please copy and paste it to this thread?  Thanks, Eric
"Tough Times Never Last, But Tough People Do!"

GujuGuy

• Go Dawgs!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #339 on: July 16, 2005, 12:51:46 AM »
hey everyone, I got an email from tech yesterday regarding fall due dates. Right before I opened it I deleted it on accident and could not recover it. Does anyone have it? If so can you please copy and paste it to this thread? Thanks, Eric

Here ya go...

Attention Law Students:

Correction: Law student fall Tuition due dates.

A postcard was sent out with a due date of July 15, 2005 for your fall
semester's tuition. The correct date is August 15, 2005. You may find the
dates for the fall semester located on our website at www.sbs.ttu.edu.
You may also be able to view your fall eBill account no later than
August 1.

LAW STUDENTS
When: August 15, 2005

Who: Pre-registered students

What: Payment due date and first cancellation

Why: Cancels registration of those who do not makepayment arrangements.
This allows TTU to cancel registration for those not attending to create
space in popular courses.

What if: If payment arrangements are not made, the student's registration
will be cancelled and their registration date will be changed to August
19, 2005. On that date, the student may go into TechSIS and register for
classes. No additional charges apply, but the original schedule may be
lost.

Texas Tech University
Student Business Services
Phone     (806) 742-3272
Toll Free (866) 774-9477
E-Mail    SBS@TTU.EDU