Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Texas Tech in Fall '05  (Read 23103 times)

texas1

Re: Texas Tech in Fall '05
« Reply #320 on: July 13, 2005, 11:26:48 AM »
Has anyone received confirmation that they have been enrolled in the computer set-up class...I have sent in 3 emails, and have heard nothing back as yet...  :-\

golfergirl

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - amberwavesofgrain
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #321 on: July 13, 2005, 11:37:58 AM »
Havent heard anything about the class yet...

Did buy the Dell 700m last night though!  Now all I have to do is wait for it to come in so I can play with it!

Amber

texas1

« Reply #322 on: July 13, 2005, 12:58:49 PM »
Havent heard anything about the class yet...

Did buy the Dell 700m last night though!  Now all I have to do is wait for it to come in so I can play with it!

Amber

700m had the best screen that I saw...decided the keyboard was a little small for me though...

istlln348

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #323 on: July 13, 2005, 02:14:30 PM »
I think it said you need to wait till August to sign up for the laptop class.  I've been told by a 2L I've been talking to that the class is very useful; it's something that probably everyone should do.  Those who don't sign up for it can try to schedule an appointment on their own to familiarize themself with the network, but those are hard to come by. 

Kyle went to South Padre Island, and he posted pictures of courthouses? Tell me what's wrong with this picture? jk. lol  :P

Will be moved into Lubbock at Willow Hill on June 27th: 13 days from now.  Who's gonna be there with me?  I'm going to bored as hell for the first week.   ???

Rob 

texas1

« Reply #324 on: July 13, 2005, 02:15:15 PM »
Ok - I finally started trying to price the books -

Right now I'm only looking at buying a couple of used books that were great deals on half.com - most of the rest on amazon (register for the member 10% discount), and then a couple at the TT store, if I can't find them elsewhere...

Total is around $500

But I have a couple of questions:

according to the book order list, all sections of CivPro are required to have "Federal Rules of Civil Procedure...Lexis-nexis is listed as publisher - I can find no such book - there are 2 others by that name but not by that publisher - Lexis offers online guides, but the book order list shows it as a soft cover, so it is a book.
Also according to the TTbookstore this book is not on our list to buy (at least for section 1) - ANY IDEAS?

aron

texas1

« Reply #325 on: July 13, 2005, 02:27:45 PM »
I didn't know that we had to sign up...where is that info?

It's in that big packet that they sent us. The page has a picture of a laptop on the front and it's called "Connecting Your Laptop to the Law School Network." (there was also info on logging onto your eRaider account.)

Anyway, if you can't find it there are three sessions to choose from August 15, 16, or 20 from 9-12. You can reserve a spot by emailing your name and session request to computersupport@law.ttu.edu or you can sign up online at http://www.law.ttu.edu/getconnected/register.aspx after July 15th.

Dustin and I are going to sign up online for the August 15th session.

Thanks to Dustin who pointed out this link is now working now...I am registered for the 15th.

golfergirl

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - amberwavesofgrain
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #326 on: July 13, 2005, 02:38:11 PM »
Me too! ;D

Texan29

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas Tech Law Bound!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 13, 2005, 03:22:02 PM »
I went to that website and registered for the 14th? that's a sunday I came to find out and the sheet says the dates are the 15th, 16th, and 20th, WTF? the dates on the website say the 14th 15th and 16th. haha, who knows!

I finally finished my loans by web today after procrastinating, who did everyone use, I finally decided on THE Northstar, their deal was just too good.
Texas Tech Law: We don't just pass the bar, we practically live there!

istlln348

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #328 on: July 13, 2005, 03:24:58 PM »
Me 3!

You can buy the Federal Rules of Civ Pro book at the bookstore for like $12.  It's probably not worth ordering it online for a number of reasons: 1) you need the most recent version, which I could not find online, and 2) with shipping, you're not going to get it used for any cheaper than that anyway.  It's a thin pamphlet type thing.  

Oh and by the way, I ordered all of legal practice books online already, since they are the same for every section.  They finished arriving yesterday, and they're pretty much English books.  Two of the five are English Grammar, writing only: not a hint of law in them.  Interesting.  

subi1

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 13, 2005, 03:33:52 PM »
Silly question: is buying one of these laptops absolutely necessary? I have one that's a couple years old, and a friend of mine at Baylor Law says that most people get over-hyped about buying a new laptop for law school, and use it for little more than a gloried word-processor.

Personally, with finances the way they are going to be next month, and the amount of debt I am racking up after doing my loans by web, I'm going to try to stick with what I've got.

What am I missing? Is there a requirement for laptops? What will I be missing out on by not buying one? Can I get by without the extra $1,000+ expense?