Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pitt Desperate?  (Read 2522 times)

Jaimalia82

• View Profile
Re: Pitt Desperate?
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2005, 01:07:44 PM »
I'll have to check to make sure, but I think the second deposit is due on June 1 for non-waitlist folks.

Yup, second deposit is due in June, but there is no need to worry about it until you receive a receipt of the first deposit and more information about the second deposit.  It should come some time in May.

ilsox7

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2005, 06:21:59 PM »
Seriously, man.  Come on -- how can you accuse them of "blatant dishonesty."  Perhaps they mispoke without knowing it.  Or perhaps they did just mean it as a generalization, not an actual line.  But to accuse them of purposefully lying -- come on...

I've met the director of financial aid and the director of admissions.  Except for a couple administrative assitants, they are the admissions office (almost all of the work at Pitt is done by faculty committee).  They both struck me as very helpful and very nice people. They weren't the monsters we like to make them out to be.

Did you even read what I said?  I said blatant dishonesty AND/OR MISCOMMUNICATION!

CounterPoint

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2005, 10:36:24 PM »
Seriously, man.  Come on -- how can you accuse them of "blatant dishonesty."  Perhaps they mispoke without knowing it.  Or perhaps they did just mean it as a generalization, not an actual line.  But to accuse them of purposefully lying -- come on...

I've met the director of financial aid and the director of admissions.  Except for a couple administrative assitants, they are the admissions office (almost all of the work at Pitt is done by faculty committee).  They both struck me as very helpful and very nice people. They weren't the monsters we like to make them out to be.

Did you even read what I said?  I said blatant dishonesty AND/OR MISCOMMUNICATION!

Actually Ilsox, might want to brush up on your English skills before LS.  The way I read it is "blatant dishonesty AND/OR blatant miscommunication.  If you didn't want the blatant to apply to miscommunication you should have used a comma after dishonesty.  As such, it was correct to interpret your tone as bashing and a little overkill. .02

ilsox7

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2005, 10:50:15 PM »
Actually Ilsox, might want to brush up on your English skills before LS.  The way I read it is "blatant dishonesty AND/OR blatant miscommunication.  If you didn't want the blatant to apply to miscommunication you should have used a comma after dishonesty.  As such, it was correct to interpret your tone as bashing and a little overkill. .02

OK, I'll make sure to spell and grammar check every post I make from now on.  Unreal people...look at the f-ing context of a post.  LSD has gone to hell the last few months.

CounterPoint

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2005, 10:57:25 PM »

OK, I'll make sure to spell and grammar check every post I make from now on.  Unreal people...look at the f-ing context of a post.  LSD has gone to hell the last few months.

Actually, i was f-ing with you.  sorry it wasn't obvious.

yes, it seems clear that your post was a general statement about all parties involved in the LS application process, at all schools (administration and applicants alike)

VivaLaMuerte

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2005, 02:28:27 PM »
http://www.answers.com/topic/university-of-pittsburgh

This describes Pitt as "Private, with some state support."

Other sites scattered about the internet call it a "public research university." 

I should admit, though, that I was described Temple and Penn State, and extending that description, based on anecdote, to Pitt.  And the difference between state and public is this: state schools are funded primarily through state funds.  tuition is very very low.  Like 6K/year and less at most of the schools (see the pennsylvania state system of higher education, I think it's called).  the state-funded national public universities, as you noted, get some state funding, but are large research universities.  that they get some of the state-funding is one of the reasons tuitions are kept relatively low (compare pitt's cost with CMU's, a truly private institution), and it is also the reason the schools are considered public institutions. so, if it is true that pitt is in name a private school, it is de facto a public school.  or so most folks will characterize it.