Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pitt Desperate?  (Read 2520 times)

sita

• AOL Instant Messenger - sita25p
    • View Profile
Re: Pitt Desperate?
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2005, 11:11:02 AM »
Pitt's admissions office has been nothing but fabulous to deal with.  I was even more impressed after talking with them in person at the open house.

CounterPoint

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2005, 11:27:13 AM »
Ditto

ditto here. and when i called back to accept my offer the random girl who answered the phone knew my name, and acted genuinely excited for me/pitt at my decision.  on admit days at other schools i could barely get a smile out of the wet-fish admissions staff.

maimee62

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2005, 11:45:16 AM »
Ditto

ditto here. and when i called back to accept my offer the random girl who answered the phone knew my name, and acted genuinely excited for me/pitt at my decision.  on admit days at other schools i could barely get a smile out of the wet-fish admissions staff.

did you receive an initial acceptance letter or were you accepted from the waitlist? if original acceptance, when is the second seat deposit due.......... if from waitlist, how long did you have from verbal agreement til deposit was due?

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2005, 11:48:54 AM »
I'll have to check to make sure, but I think the second deposit is due on June 1 for non-waitlist folks.

CounterPoint

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2005, 11:52:41 AM »
Ditto

did you receive an initial acceptance letter or were you accepted from the waitlist? if original acceptance, when is the second seat deposit due.......... if from waitlist, how long did you have from verbal agreement til deposit was due?

WL.  i took a few days to think it over before asking for an official letter.  upon receipt of official letter, 2 weeks.

seems appropriate to me really.  it's so close to when final deposit due anyway.  also, fact is if you end up going there it's in YOUR interest for their yields to hold up.  I imagine a lot of WL people are tempted to say "yeah" just to feel better and have options.  they only want you to say yeah if, barring some major acceptance or life event, you will attend.

I always wait till last minute possible anyway.  i figure either way it's worth fedexing. cost between overnite and three day is nominal, so i just wait a day or two before it's due and overnite the check.

maimee62

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2005, 11:55:43 AM »
thanx for the info! do you mind my asking your #'s and whether or not you were offered merit aid?

CounterPoint

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2005, 12:06:09 PM »
thanx for the info! do you mind my asking your #'s and whether or not you were offered merit aid?

my #'s not too helpful as I have multiples, and there's a large enough spread that it's hard to base anything on (some schools ignore the lower score with the spread - which makes it a plus-90th percentile score.  other schools average (which i assume Pitt did or i should have gotten right in) which makes it prob in the 70-80 percentile?  dunno.

anyway, no merit aid that i know of.  COL so cheap i feel better about it though.

VivaLaMuerte

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2005, 12:20:33 PM »
That's interesting to know.

It's also worth noting that technically Pitt isn't a public school.  It's actually a private school "with state support."  Which means that it's a private school that, a long time ago, made agreements with the commonwealth of PA b/c Pittsburgh was one of the biggest cities in the country (at the time) and didn't have a good public university.  This is why, BTW, Temple is cheaper than Pitt and Pitt's undergraduate is a bit more expensive (around 10k) than most public colleges. 

But it's relevant b/c Pitt isn't required to follow any requirement or guideline for how many state residents they must admit -- as many other public schools are (wisconsin, iowa, texas, virginia, tennessee -- the list goes on).

You're kinda right.  Pitt is a public university.  It just isn't a state school.  Neither is Penn State, actually, though the name would deceive one into thinking that.  The standard way of talking about the schools is that they are "state-funded national universities."  So Pitt's non-requiurement to accept in-staters isn't because they are private, but because they are not a state school (state schools in PA would Edinboro, Slippery Rock, Clarion, Kutztown, etc). 

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2005, 12:55:58 PM »
You're kinda right.  Pitt is a public university.  It just isn't a state school. 

I'm sorry but can you define the difference between a "public university" and "state school."

From what I understand, I'm not kinda right -- I am right.  They are actually a private university from what I've read.  I'll do some more research I suppose.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2005, 01:03:58 PM »
http://www.answers.com/topic/university-of-pittsburgh

This describes Pitt as "Private, with some state support."