Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pitt Desperate?  (Read 2598 times)

CounterPoint

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Pitt Desperate?
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2005, 11:15:37 AM »
Yea... but I do like the fact that they seem to want to give seats to people who actually want to be at the law school. I spent some time at a party with a couple dozen Pitt law students.  And they all seemed to like the school a lot.  Maybe that's why.  Perhaps Pitt's just very selective in a weird way.  Maybe they really just want to test how much you'd like to go to Pitt.  You just watch -- their next e-mail will say, "Please rate on a scale of one to ten just how much you want to be pulled off the waitlist."

Yeah, i'm not knocking it at all.  think it's the right way to do things.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2005, 01:34:36 PM »
That's interesting to know.

It's also worth noting that technically Pitt isn't a public school.  It's actually a private school "with state support."  Which means that it's a private school that, a long time ago, made agreements with the commonwealth of PA b/c Pittsburgh was one of the biggest cities in the country (at the time) and didn't have a good public university.  This is why, BTW, Temple is cheaper than Pitt and Pitt's undergraduate is a bit more expensive (around 10k) than most public colleges. 

But it's relevant b/c Pitt isn't required to follow any requirement or guideline for how many state residents they must admit -- as many other public schools are (wisconsin, iowa, texas, virginia, tennessee -- the list goes on).

Jaimalia82

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2005, 01:55:22 PM »
60% out of state acceptances?  I guess I won't feel too out of place next fall then (I'm from NY)! 

maimee62

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2005, 12:19:45 AM »
I've also been contacted by Pitt (by phone)about being taken off the wait list. I toured the school on Monday and sat in on a class.......... loved it!!! The whole process is uncomfortable though. They couldn't give me any information on possible merit aid available (160/3.84) and it's my understanding that once they receive a verbal committment they'll send out the required slip for me to make my one time seat deposit of $500! I know accepted student's had to send in their first deposit by April 15th. Wondering how much it was and when the final one is due. Does anyone know?

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2005, 02:11:14 AM »
Well -- I think you might be borderline for getting merit aid anyway. 

The one time seat deposit might seem steep, but it's actually less than most schools.  Most schools, it seems, require two seat deposits by June that add up to more than that (actually for non-waitlist people, Pitt asks for two payments of 200 and 300).

I think you should trust that they'll try to give you merit aid if they can.  The director of financial aid is a really nice person.

Anyhow, I hope you'll decide to come to Pitt.  I felt the same way when I visited -- I loved it.  And each time I go back, I like it more. 

Good luck!

Jaimalia82

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2005, 08:14:18 AM »
At the Open House, the director of financial aid said you had to have a 161/3.5 to even make it to the scholarship committee.  However, if you browse LSN, it seems like they gave scholarships to people with high LSAT scores, with less regard to UGPA.  Then again, LSN probably isn't representative of all the accepted students.

sita

• AOL Instant Messenger - sita25p
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2005, 08:23:09 AM »
I have a 3.6 157 and was offered $8,000 in merit aid. 

ilsox7

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2005, 08:27:39 AM »
This isn't aimed only at Pitt b/c I know many schools do it, but what's with the blatant dishonesty and/or miscommunication amongst members of the admissions office and applicants?  I mean, c'mon!  A little honesty goes a long way, at least to me.

Jaimalia82

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2005, 08:59:31 AM »
I have a 3.6 157 and was offered $8,000 in merit aid. 

I saw that on LSN.  Unfortunately, I still distinctly remember them saying you needed a 161 to make it to the scholarship committee.  I'm sure that was just a generalization, so you must have had something extraordinary for them to consider you for a scholarship.  Consider yourself lucky! 

As for myself, I'm taking one of the first risks of my life and paying full tuition, hoping that I can reduce the cost after the first year somehow.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2005, 10:38:56 AM »
This isn't aimed only at Pitt b/c I know many schools do it, but what's with the blatant dishonesty and/or miscommunication amongst members of the admissions office and applicants?  I mean, c'mon!  A little honesty goes a long way, at least to me.

Seriously, man.  Come on -- how can you accuse them of "blatant dishonesty."  Perhaps they mispoke without knowing it.  Or perhaps they did just mean it as a generalization, not an actual line.  But to accuse them of purposefully lying -- come on...

I've met the director of financial aid and the director of admissions.  Except for a couple administrative assitants, they are the admissions office (almost all of the work at Pitt is done by faculty committee).  They both struck me as very helpful and very nice people. They weren't the monsters we like to make them out to be.