Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Going to law schools w/ 0 aid? NU, specifically?  (Read 735 times)

Spacebot7000

• Moondust will cover you.
    • View Profile
Going to law schools w/ 0 aid? NU, specifically?
« on: April 25, 2005, 02:03:47 PM »
Who is going to a school that is giving you 0 aid? No grants, no merit, nothing. Northwestern gave away all their money, so I'm screwed. WTF?
Attending UChicago

karita624

• View Profile
Re: Going to law schools w/ 0 aid? NU, specifically?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 03:07:31 PM »
Who is going to a school that is giving you 0 aid? No grants, no merit, nothing. Northwestern gave away all their money, so I'm screwed. WTF?

I am biased, because I want to go to NU more than anything, and I would take the loans.  But the tuition is nearly $40,000.  That is a shitload of money, no matter what anyone tells you.  $1000 for 10 years isn't peanuts, at least not to me.

karita624

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 03:08:43 PM »
My point being-- that sucks. I would go, though, unless you have another cheaper option that is not a complete step down.

Spacebot7000

• Moondust will cover you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 03:45:57 PM »
[Sigh] Thanks. I just the so-called award letter, and I was shocked by the bill. It's an awesome school. I visited a couple weeks ago, and any misconceptions I had about it being too business-y, etc. vanished. Plus, I already have about $50k in UG loans. Hello, Biglaw, my name is Ms. 7000. I'm already looking for apartments in Chicago. I just want to be sure that I'm not crazy for going to a school with no money whatsoever. I can't even believe that. Oh well, hopefully I'll get off U of C's fancy waitlist, anyway, and none of this will matter.
Attending UChicago

GO_PTO

• Sr. Citizen
  • my children... I have returned for law school!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - helios933
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 03:46:31 PM »
you could wait a year and get some work experience whilst re-applying (I am assuming your crazy high second lsat came in mid year and that is why you aren't given any).

Waiting a year sounds like it sucks, but if it saves you $60-100K+ (not to mention a year of current salary and work experience) maybe it is worth it.

That is all my plan anyway, I am hoping to go from a 163 to a 170+, but I couldn't fathom doing what you did!
(163+172)/3.5

karita624

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 03:50:10 PM »
you could wait a year and get some work experience whilst re-applying (I am assuming your crazy high second lsat came in mid year and that is why you aren't given any).

Waiting a year sounds like it sucks, but if it saves you $60-100K+ (not to mention a year of current salary and work experience) maybe it is worth it.

That is all my plan anyway, I am hoping to go from a 163 to a 170+, but I couldn't fathom doing what you did!

That is a lofty goal, Gabeo. I wish you luck!

GO_PTO

• Sr. Citizen
  • my children... I have returned for law school!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - helios933
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 03:57:04 PM »

That is a lofty goal, Gabeo. I wish you luck!

choice 'D' is most often correct, right?  :P
(163+172)/3.5

karita624

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 04:00:54 PM »
[Sigh] Thanks. I just the so-called award letter, and I was shocked by the bill. It's an awesome school. I visited a couple weeks ago, and any misconceptions I had about it being too business-y, etc. vanished. Plus, I already have about $50k in UG loans. Hello, Biglaw, my name is Ms. 7000. I'm already looking for apartments in Chicago. I just want to be sure that I'm not crazy for going to a school with no money whatsoever. I can't even believe that. Oh well, hopefully I'll get off U of C's fancy waitlist, anyway, and none of this will matter.

Not to make you feel bad, Ms. 7000, but HOLY CRAP! 50k from UG, too?
I may have to agree with Gabeo on this one-- try again next year for some aid (assuming you are applying directly out of UG).  Make some cash this coming year, make a dent in the debt, and use  your LSAT score to get some sweet scholarships!
I am a couple of years out and am SO HAPPY I took time off.  You aren't as old as you think you are....

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 04:10:15 PM »

Besides NU, what other options do you have? 

dave303

• Sr. Citizen
  • La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 04:29:19 PM »
You're looking at over 200k of debt. Since you're going to northwestern a biglaw job is virtually guaranteed but you wont have the option of doing anything else. It's not too big a deal as long as your happy with doing that for a couple of years. If you get into a good firm you could be making close to 200k with bonuses after 3 or 4 years and the debt will not be an issue.

That UG is quite horrible though, don't you wish someone had told you that you could go to a state school for next to nothin and still get into top law schools?