Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: .  (Read 6316 times)

LaneSwerver

Re: Iran/ What's to Come?
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 02:41:39 PM »
I'm not sure where you're going with this...I'm not saying anyone should be invaded, Muslim or otherwise. So I guess, since I'm very confused by your last point, I should just ask you: What do you suggest?

vkschicago

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 02:48:27 PM »
The interesting part of this is the finances of it all.  The U.S is running on a deficit higher than ever before in U.S. history.  With the problem of Social Security and the AMT looming, as well as escalating expenses in Iraq and the lack of probability of withdraw any time soon, is military action really feasible?  Federal revenues are at the lowest in 50 years According to "Fiscal Fantasyland" (Economist, 4/9/05).  With a lack of significant allies (Britain would be highly unlikely to risk another Middle East War)
the expense of an additional war in a nation that is three times the size of Iraq in both geography and population is highly questionable....

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 02:55:32 PM »
I'm not sure where you're going with this...I'm not saying anyone should be invaded, Muslim or otherwise. So I guess, since I'm very confused by your last point, I should just ask you: What do you suggest?

julie, at least, talking feasibility of war.  julie not exactly known for beating war drums.

one thing julie suggest is that we acknowledge that we already have lots of nuclear weapons and then explain just why it is that we supposedly so much more trustworthy to "use them well" than iranians.  for example, is it because we love peace so much?  hmmmmmmm?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 03:00:30 PM »
no, it's because we are the hegemon. No competition for that crown allowed.

yes, whole world very impressed by that idea.  "we america, we best."  how it going so far?

LaneSwerver

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2005, 03:09:54 PM »

julie, at least, talking feasibility of war.  julie not exactly known for beating war drums.

one thing julie suggest is that we acknowledge that we already have lots of nuclear weapons and then explain just why it is that we supposedly so much more trustworthy to "use them well" than iranians.  for example, is it because we love peace so much?  hmmmmmmm?

I understand that point, but my question was: What do you suggest?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2005, 03:11:14 PM »
I understand that point, but my question was: What do you suggest?

well, that was julie's first suggestion.  talk about that first.

phanny's response is to say "because we say so."  julie see that as part of problem.  do you?

LaneSwerver

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2005, 03:15:04 PM »
Discussing our nuclear arsenal with anyone is pointless and not a negotiable diplomatic approach.  There is no reason to negotiate on a stance that will not change, i.e. our nuclear arms. There is basis to negotiate on a stance that can change, i.e. Iran's nuclear program.

So, what do we do? You don't seem to believe diplomacy is/has worked, nor do you favor a military approach. Do we just quit and see what happens?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2005, 03:30:34 PM »
Discussing our nuclear arsenal with anyone is pointless and not a negotiable diplomatic approach. There is no reason to negotiate on a stance that will not change, i.e. our nuclear arms. There is basis to negotiate on a stance that can change, i.e. Iran's nuclear program.

So, what do we do? You don't seem to believe diplomacy is/has worked, nor do you favor a military approach. Do we just quit and see what happens?

you missing point (which essentially makes julie's, especially in combination with phanny's response), but now julie play your game anyway.

julie always say to always attempt diplomacy.  problem is knowing quite where we stand.  do we have truly reliable proof than iran is making nuclear weapons?  (of course, we must consider extent to which dubya and his minions telling analysts what to conclude, as was case with iraq.)  if not, then there absolutely no basis for violence, and diplomacy should continue.

if there is good proof of nuclear weapon program, then that proof should be offered to world.  (of course, now we have to contend with how accurate we were last time we did that.)  we should seek international consensus.  (of course, we also bear burden of our insincerity about that last time around.)  then, who knows?  if this clearly not solving and iran truly threat, limited airstrikes might be enough.

ah, dubya's legacy.  makes one proud to be american.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2005, 03:32:20 PM »

so you believe war inevitable.  that explain why you not so interested in preventing it.

please, tell julie again why you not interested in fighting war yourself.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2005, 04:18:31 PM »
so you believe war inevitable.  that explain why you not so interested in preventing it.

please, tell julie again why you not interested in fighting war yourself.

For the first time I'm having trouble with the lack of articles! ;) When you say "so you believe war inevitable" do you mean to say I believe the war we are currently fighting was inevitable or that an eventual war with Iran is inevitable?

When you say I'm not interested in fighting war yourself, do you mean me personally enlisting in the military and fighting?

Sorry to seem dense, here, but I'm a little lost.