Law School Discussion

Julie Fern

• hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: Iran/ What's to Come?
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2005, 08:04:16 AM »
oh.  your comments seem rather categorical.  smug, almost.

i'd hate to disappoint

success is yours.

PresClay_00

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2005, 08:07:22 AM »

i'd hate to disappoint

success is yours.

as long as you recognize that ;)

Julie Fern

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2005, 08:08:59 AM »

I think you would admit the commission was pretty critical, and very bipartisan. Ms. Dowd aside, the commission found "no evdience of political pressure to influence the Intelligence Community's pre-war assessments of Iraq's weapons programs."

According to the report, intelligence agencies shifted toward believing Saddam was reconstituting his nuclear program in early 2001, back when President Bush was essentially maintaining President Clinton’s Iraq policy and had no motive to agitate for more dire intelligence. The shift from saying that Iraq might have bio weapons to concluding that Saddam definitely had them had taken place in 2000, when Clinton was still in office. This information, and much more, was wrong. But the problem wasn’t that policymakers were pressuring intelligence officials. It was that intelligence officials were not making policymakers aware of how questionable their information was.

So I think your point of the Prez telling the analysts what to do is misleading, if not completely wrong.

duly noted.  however, there are many reports (see woodward book, if memory serves) that bush told his underlings to "find the link" between 9/11 and iraq--which is made that much more credible by administration's pre-existing plans to invade iraq.

julie also recalls numerous article in n.y. times quoting analysts who said pressure was on from above to reach that conclusion.

that enough for julie.

Julie Fern

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2005, 08:10:05 AM »

i'd hate to disappoint

success is yours.

as long as you recognize that ;)

that you smug?  absolutely.

PresClay_00

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2005, 08:12:10 AM »

I think you would admit the commission was pretty critical, and very bipartisan. Ms. Dowd aside, the commission found "no evdience of political pressure to influence the Intelligence Community's pre-war assessments of Iraq's weapons programs."

According to the report, intelligence agencies shifted toward believing Saddam was reconstituting his nuclear program in early 2001, back when President Bush was essentially maintaining President Clinton’s Iraq policy and had no motive to agitate for more dire intelligence. The shift from saying that Iraq might have bio weapons to concluding that Saddam definitely had them had taken place in 2000, when Clinton was still in office. This information, and much more, was wrong. But the problem wasn’t that policymakers were pressuring intelligence officials. It was that intelligence officials were not making policymakers aware of how questionable their information was.

So I think your point of the Prez telling the analysts what to do is misleading, if not completely wrong.

duly noted.  however, there are many reports (see woodward book, if memory serves) that bush told his underlings to "find the link" between 9/11 and iraq--which is made that much more credible by administration's pre-existing plans to invade iraq.

julie also recalls numerous article in n.y. times quoting analysts who said pressure was on from above to reach that conclusion.

that enough for julie.

you don't have any problem belieiving a newspaper that didn't check the veracity of one of its most acclaimed authors who turned out to be a liar and thief?

Julie Fern

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2005, 08:18:33 AM »

you don't have any problem belieiving a newspaper that didn't check the veracity of one of its most acclaimed authors who turned out to be a liar and thief?

lots of liars and thieves around.  and times not only newspaper that ran such stories.  of course, they all just part of liberal media conspiracy.

PresClay_00

« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2005, 08:22:22 AM »

lots of liars and thieves around.  and times not only newspaper that ran such stories.  of course, they all just part of liberal media conspiracy.

your words, not mine.  i just have difficulty putting more faith in one group of innaccurate people over another.

Julie Fern

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2005, 08:23:25 AM »

your words, not mine. i just have difficulty putting more faith in one group of innaccurate people over another.

then that explain your faith in bush administration.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2005, 08:30:52 AM »

that enough for julie.

Remember, journalistic accounts are often quite different from actual accounts. Boring bipartisan congressional reports don't sell books and newspapers.

PresClay_00

« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2005, 08:34:07 AM »

your words, not mine. i just have difficulty putting more faith in one group of innaccurate people over another.

then that explain your faith in bush administration.

we've been through the whole lesser of two less than ideal candidates thing