Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best time to buy a laptop?  (Read 10575 times)

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Best time to buy a laptop?
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2004, 02:44:34 PM »
get an alienware!

that sure will stand out in the law library among all those dell and IBMs....:D

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2004, 12:08:13 PM »
I was actually thinking about it (although the blue one is pretty good looking too).  Anyone have one?  Would you recommend it?

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2004, 02:46:07 PM »
I was actually thinking about it (although the blue one is pretty good looking too).  Anyone have one?  Would you recommend it?

They're big heavy monsters.  If you want a gaming laptop, then get the emachines athlon64 laptop.  It's amazing.  Sager makes the most powerful gaming notebooks around, but they weigh a ton.
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2004, 03:03:36 PM »
They didn't look or seem that big - 4.9 pounds...

thinknpositive

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2004, 07:35:32 PM »

im not a current law student but i play one on tv.

as for laptops, from what i hear from most 1Ls is that portability is key.  battery life is important too, but as long as the battery lasts longer than an hour, you should be fine because most of the areas where you will need the laptop will have plugs. 

i cant emphasize enough what ive been saying all along on laptops.

IBM

thats all you need to know.  theyre the best.  they last the longest.  they dont have overheating problems.  support is awesome.  top notch parts. 

go with the x40 or the x42.  light, thin, and portable.  plus, if you have to carry around extra batteries or a charger, then you will want something as light as possible.  i would not go with anything under 12" screen though...it makes it pretty tough to see if youre under that threshold.

Well, Dell had an amazing coupon that expired June 2.  They were offering 20 percent off and free shipping on their notebooks and I bit.  I ended up getting an Inspiron 600m with a 3 year in-home warranty for 1,500.  We'll see how it turns out.

It's a little heavier than I'd like (4.9 lbs) but it has an optical drive and above average battery life.  A few of the ultra-portables came with an external drive.  All of the ultras with internal drives were a little too expensive for my tastes.  I just paid a few hundred extra and got a nice warranty.

It got pretty good reviews, obviously there are some flaws.  I know Dell has an amazing return policy.  So I guess we'll see if my frugality will pay off in the long run.

Thanks for your advice though.

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2004, 08:11:16 PM »
hey, how about an emachines laptop.....

before you laugh, they just got bought by gateway...so emachines now=gateway  :D