Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best time to buy a laptop?  (Read 10376 times)

Ginatio

Best time to buy a laptop?
« on: May 30, 2004, 12:59:22 AM »
It seems that there's certain times in the year when all the laptop manufacturers bring out their new line of merchandise, discount their old lines, and have tons of competitive sales and offers.

does anyone have any idea when this usually happens? I get the feeling it's right before school, but that wouldn't make sense, since that's the best time students can get taken advantage of... (yes, I'm inferring that computer companies want to molest our wallets)

thechoson

Re: Best time to buy a laptop?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2004, 01:07:17 AM »
When the country falls in a state of anarchy, you can just loot one.  Don't worry, it's coming... just look for the monkeys

stung

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2004, 02:04:24 AM »
Check with your school's bookstore.  They can probably offer you some discounts.  That's how I got mine.

Ginatio

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2004, 02:08:36 AM »
you know what's funny? whenever I check the price of a laptop through my school's (UG and grad) computer program with Dell/IBM/etc., I find that the supposed "discounted" price is more often than not MORE expensive than if I were to buy directly from Dell/IBM...

anyone else notice that?

Check with your school's bookstore.  They can probably offer you some discounts.  That's how I got mine.

stung

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2004, 02:15:04 AM »
eh?  really?  I tried three different sites when I was "getting myself a Dell."  My undergrad's bookstore was the cheapest.  Good luck laptop hunting.  :)

jgruber

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2004, 04:52:39 PM »
I don't think it is a certain time of the year.  I think the market and the general economy have more to do with it.  In other words, it's anyone's guess.

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2004, 04:57:27 PM »
The only laptops you should be considering are ibms.  IBM recently released their new models for the year, so you can expect the new system prices to fall in the coming months.  IBM doesn't discount their comps in waves though, it happens randomly over time.
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

thinknpositive

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2004, 05:28:22 PM »
The only laptops you should be considering are ibms.  IBM recently released their new models for the year, so you can expect the new system prices to fall in the coming months.  IBM doesn't discount their comps in waves though, it happens randomly over time.

I don't know why people on this board have such a hard-on for IBM's. They are incredibly expensive for what you get.  Sure they are rated highly but there are a million brands that make great computers.  Just research what you want and get it.  Check out www.cnet.com

As far as the best timing goes to buy a computer;  I've often wondered that myself.  To say that the time of the year has nothing to do with deals is completely foolish.  Think about it. A lot of people are buying computers now in preparation of the impending school year;  therefore companies are going to be more competitive in their pricing.

The same thing goes for times around the holiday season.

There is nothing random about pricing. 

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2004, 05:34:56 PM »
I don't know why people on this board have such a hard-on for IBM's. They are incredibly expensive for what you get.  Sure they are rated highly but there are a million brands that make great computers.  Just research what you want and get it.  Check out www.cnet.com

As far as the best timing goes to buy a computer;  I've often wondered that myself.  To say that the time of the year has nothing to do with deals is completely foolish.  Think about it. A lot of people are buying computers now in preparation of the impending school year;  therefore companies are going to be more competitive in their pricing.

The same thing goes for times around the holiday season.

Their is nothing random about pricing. 

IBM's are overpriced in terms of computing power.  But IBM builds the most solid machines on the market, and that is reason enough to buy one for law school.  Best build quality + innovative recovery and data prtection technology + best warranty = the only logical choice for law school.

And of course most pricing is not random, but I never claimd that it was.  IBM's price drops ARE random and therefore my answer to this question is that prices will fall over time, but not on any set date.  If you really want to figure out the general dates for pricedrops, try and find advanced press releases for when new models will be released.  But since the dothan processor is already out, most laptop companies have already released their new notebooks, and are abandoning models based on the older banias chip.
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

bobfett33

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2004, 05:40:11 PM »
Well, you COULD assume that the companies will lower their prices in a price war when demand is high... but by the same token, when demand ISN'T so high, many laptop companies might reduce their prices to increase demand for their product.