Law School Discussion

Fee Waivers

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
Re: Fee Waivers
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2005, 11:45:45 AM »
Also, I got a letter of invitation to apply (which is different from a fee waiver--in that they don't waive the fee but do encourage you to apply) from both Michigan and Boalt, though only Michigan accepted me.

Are invitations to apply different from just general information?  Also, just out of curiosity, around when did you get those fee waivers?

_____

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2005, 11:57:59 AM »
Also, I got a letter of invitation to apply (which is different from a fee waiver--in that they don't waive the fee but do encourage you to apply) from both Michigan and Boalt, though only Michigan accepted me.

Are invitations to apply different from just general information?  Also, just out of curiosity, around when did you get those fee waivers?

Invitations to apply are letters, sent in conjunction with general information, saying, 'Hey, you seem like a good applicant.  You should apply."  They are not only addressed to you on the outside, but the letter inside has your name and address on it, addressed to your name, and the body of the letter says something like "encourage you to apply."

(Other items that are more general are things that say, "Dear Applicant" or "Prospective Law Student" or things of that nature; they never say your name directly...)

So, for example, Michigan sent me a booklet about the university and that sort of thing (totally general; the kind sent out to the general population and to anyone who requests it).  But in that same package, I also recieved a personalized letter, signed by hand, encouraging me to apply. 

So that's the Invitation to Apply.  (I got another one of those from Berkeley, too--general information + personalized letter encouraging me to apply.)

WAIVERS, however, are MORE than just invitations to apply. 
Waivers basically look the same (general information + personalized letter), except for the phrasing "we encourage you to apply" in the letter is followed by "and we will waive the application fee"  (or something to that effect).

I got those from several other schools.  Sometimes you have to include a copy of your personalized waiver letter with your application or signature page so that they know YOU got the waiver, as opposed to someone else giving you theirs. 

I sent a copy of my Invitation to Apply letter to Michigan, as well--just so they knew they were interested in me, too...  (In general, Michigan admits about 20% of the people who apply, but those who get invitations to apply get admitted about 40% of the time--so that was a boost. People who get WAIVERS, however, get admitted about 60% of the time... So there definitely is a difference...)

I took the LSAT in October, so they started appearing via email and snail mail just after scores were released.

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2005, 06:24:35 AM »
Is it possible to apply first, say in October, and then receive a fee waiver afterwards? I'm taking the LSAT in October so I'm wondering how that's going to work.. Thanks.

bruin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005, 11:04:48 AM »
Is it possible to apply first, say in October, and then receive a fee waiver afterwards? I'm taking the LSAT in October so I'm wondering how that's going to work.. Thanks.

It's possible that you could recieve a fee waiver after applying. The policy of whether a school wil retroactively apply the waiver varies.

3ML

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2005, 12:50:50 PM »
Any idea when they will start sending out fee waivers for the 05/06 cycle?

_____

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2005, 04:39:53 PM »
Any idea when they will start sending out fee waivers for the 05/06 cycle?

I have seen some people posting that they already have started coming out... But I don't think they really get moving until Septemberish...

Hobert

• Rossi! Rossi! Rossi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2005, 05:37:09 PM »
I got another one today.

So far I have received one from William and Mary in July through email, St. Louis today in August through normal mail.

Immediately after I got my score at the end of June, Seton Hall invited me to apply for Fall 05 and gave a waiver. Lewis and Clark also sent an Fall 05 invite but I can't remember if they included a Waiver or not.

loveless

• Law school is NICE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2005, 10:14:36 AM »
I got another one today.

So far I have received one from William and Mary in July through email, St. Louis today in August through normal mail.

Immediately after I got my score at the end of June, Seton Hall invited me to apply for Fall 05 and gave a waiver. Lewis and Clark also sent an Fall 05 invite but I can't remember if they included a Waiver or not.

I got the exact same waivers.

Hopefully we'll be getting some more soon? I hope to get some waivers so I can apply to more schools without killing my bank account.

lava

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2005, 08:43:47 AM »
i believe the w & m email was an invitation to apply, not a waiver..unless they sent ppl different emails than the one i got in july.

bloomich

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2005, 08:58:40 AM »
i believe the w & m email was an invitation to apply, not a waiver..unless they sent ppl different emails than the one i got in july.

the email i received in july included a fee waiver... it's subject line is "William and Mary Law School Fee Waiver"