Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My interesting situation  (Read 992 times)

emarejay

• View Profile
    • Email
My interesting situation
« on: April 25, 2005, 03:43:06 AM »
I have planned on attending law school since my Freshmen year in college. However, I always wanted to work for a few years prior to that. To make a long story short, I changed my mind about this in March and started getting everything together. I found that some schools would accept a June lsat for fall 05 admission so I applied to Detroit Mercy, Toledo, Dayton, Cooley, and Florida Coastal.

First I would like to know of any stories you have ever heard about people doing this. I have a hard time believing a school would give me a slot when they have kids waiting that applied in October and obviously were more prepared than me.

My Lsat score will be anywhere from a 155-163. My practices have been ERATIC, but progressing nicely. That coupled with my 2.8 from Michigan is how I arrived at this plan:

If I get a 159 or higher, I will hold off and apply to better schools in the fall like a normal person. Then I will take a year off and it will be worth it.

If my score is on the lower end and I get admitted to one of those schools, I will probably attend in the fall and plan on staying for three years. I guess I would entertain the option of transfering, but I feel like if I decide to go it should be a decision based off of being there for 3 years.

Any input?

Precise

• View Profile
Re: My interesting situation
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 04:28:35 AM »
take the test in october and apply then. You are really selling yourself short by applying this late in the process.

emarejay

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 04:42:29 AM »
What is wrong with taking it in June and applying in october if I do well?

Precise

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 04:46:37 AM »
What is wrong with taking it in June and applying in october if I do well?

Nada, I just think you'd benefit from the extra few months of preperation. good luck

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 09:30:57 AM »
Don't apply now.  You're seriously selling yourself short here.  You'd have a better shot at every single school you apply to if you wait and apply the next cycle.

Think of it as an opportunity to put some money in the bank.

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 10:33:11 AM »
Don't apply now.  You're seriously selling yourself short here.  You'd have a better shot at every single school you apply to if you wait and apply the next cycle.

Apply next year, unless this June you score 175+ and have a high UPGA as well. 

laestrella

• MSN Messenger - laestrella26@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - laestrella26
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 11:05:31 AM »
Everything that I am about to say is out of a mutual respect and love for all of those who went and are currently going through the process of applying to law school.  I am sure that those of us who took this process seriously have spent countless hours studying, writing our personal essay, preparing our applications and doing everything that we need to ensure that we were strong candidates.  So let me tell you, as I am sure others will that the decision that you are about to make should be one that is thought out CAREFULLY. 
One thing that I will beg you not to do is to go to a law school just because you think that you can get in just in time to make it for Fall 05.  I fear that would be a choice that you might regret. What do you know about these schools?  Will they offer you the type of program that you need?  Where do you want to work after law school?  These are all questions that you need to ask yourself.  If there is one thing that I have learned from applying to law schools is that you never do things last minute.  You never want to be on the end of an admission seasons unless you are the PERFECT candidate.  Time is a major factor and you need to use it wisely.  I don't want to deter you from your dreams, but I want you to be in the best situation possible.  Where you go to Law School is important for so many reasons, especially your personal well being.   
Attending: GW

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 11:21:58 AM »

if the OP scores 175+ and has a high UGPA, he(?)should definitely wait until next cycle to apply.  he'll have a better shot at great scholarship money and will definitely have a wider ranges of schools to choose from.

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 01:28:44 PM »
Last summer Columbia admitted someone who took the June test (178/3.92/Ivy grad) with a scholarship.

if the OP scores 175+ and has a high UGPA, he(?)should definitely wait until next cycle to apply.  he'll have a better shot at great scholarship money and will definitely have a wider ranges of schools to choose from.

V00Jeff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 01:47:30 PM »
You will not be doing yourself a favor by applying now.  Go get some real world experience, research the legal market to make sure it's right for you, and put time into your apps.
Attending: Columbia