Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: When Should I Begin To Apply?  (Read 726 times)

Coreysmommy

• View Profile
When Should I Begin To Apply?
« on: April 24, 2005, 06:02:52 PM »
This may be a stupid question but I'm clueless.

I am taking the Oct LSAT and I am currently working on my personal statement. I have my recommenders waiting to write but when should I apply?

I heard of some people applying before they took their LSAT. I swear if it's not one thing it's another, this whole applying process is killing me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

jdw112

Re: When Should I Begin To Apply?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 06:19:08 PM »
You can apply as early as any school begins to accept applications. This will vary by program. They will not review your file until it is complete. You can register with the LSDAS and get things in motion now. You can get LOR's and transcripts submitted, but your LSAT score will not be available until late October. The earliest your files will become complete at various programs will be in early Nov. This is great for regular decision and is early enough to apply early action or early decision for some programs (if you are interested in these options that is).

wildcataz2004

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 09:58:09 PM »
I would get the letters of rec and transcripts sent to the LSDAS beginning in September so that they are processed ASAP. Then I would work on the apps and get them sent to the schools. As soon as your LSAT score is in, should be around Oct 23rd or so, then LSDAS will send the report to all the schools. So all of your apps could be complete by the end of October

emarejay

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 02:56:04 AM »
Well,

I have applied for fall 05 admission and I take the LSAT in June.

Classy move on my part :)

Vintage14

• Rocker Dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 08:55:21 AM »
I would say get your transcript and LORs into LSAC asap, I wouldn't even wait till November.  LSAC can have crazy delays in the fall, so the sooner the better.  They'll just upload it to your file and your report will be ready to be shipped out as soon as you get your LSAT score.  Most schools begin accepting applications September 1st.  You can apply before the LSAT.  They'll request your report from LSAC, and LSAC will send it as soon as you take the LSAT.  Getting everything done early will seriously lower your stress levels.  Sitting and waiting for LSAC to process your stuff can drive you crazy, so getting it out of the way in the summer is great.  Also, most schools do rolling admission, so it gets much more competitive for spots as time goes on.  Getting your app in early will be a great help.  Good luck!

jdw112

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 09:00:12 AM »
No one suggested waiting until Nov.

naeconi

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 11:33:14 AM »
It's really true. As early as possible, that would be a real advantage although many schools deny so.

billthethrill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 02:47:30 AM »
I would figure on a month and a half lead time for your LOR's.  Many professors are a pain in the butt and drag their feet on doing them.  Count on them taking a month of badgering to send in the LOR and then figure two weeks or so for LSDAS to process them. 

Aim to have your LSDAS report package complete and all apps in by October (it may be too late now but I really would have recommended taking the June LSAT).  This will put you in great shape.  Some schools are definately front loaded so being in early drastically increases your chance of getting in.
Going to Miami

hummer69

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 08:25:27 AM »
I am in the exact same boat.  I am taking the October LSAT and will begin applying in October.  My thinking is, apply to about 5-6 schools before you gets your LSAT scores back, and if your scores are not what they expected, either better or worse, apply to another 5-6 schools based on your scores.
English Majors and LSAT are not not friends

LSAT - Waiting
GPA - 3.65

Apps in at - Michigan, UVA, Emory, WUSTL, Wake, Miami

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 11:14:26 AM »
If you are wanting to apply so early, why not take the June test?  Don't wait until October.

If you do wait until October, then I recommend that you do not apply until you have your LSAT scores.

But, I do say to take the June test.  Wouldn't that take all the pressure off?