Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Memphis  (Read 5235 times)

VolLaw

• View Profile
Memphis
« on: April 24, 2005, 04:33:37 PM »
Though my name says one thing I am going to Memphis in the fall and could not be more happy about it. Their building is not great but I felt so at home there. I visited last week and fell in love with it even though I didnt think I was going to like it at all. They prove that USNews isnt worth a thing. Memphis has a higher bar passage rate than Tenn and Vandy. As far as I am concerned the goal of a law school should be at least to have its students pass the bar. Plus they have a great employment rate. Memphis is a really fun city with a ton more to offer than Knoxville. I think I would have shot myself if I would have been here for 3 more years. AND I have talked to several attorneys that went to UTK and said they wished they had gone to Memphis. For all you who want to be in TN or near it you should look at Memphis. They will have a brand new building over looking the Mississippi River downtown in a couple years.

Anybody else looking at Memphis?

biotechey

• View Profile
Re: Memphis
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 08:58:50 PM »
great choice, i am originally from there, my mom went to law school there and ended up being a prof there for a while, a lot of my parents friends went there and did quite well in thier careers.  I am doing IP law otherwise I would have looked more at Cecil C humphreys...

bama

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 01:48:39 PM »
Volaw, what were you numbers?  I hope to go to Memphis in 06.

VolLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 02:37:26 PM »
3.12 / 162

bama

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 03:27:56 PM »

VolLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 05:55:05 PM »
No full ride. They are still deciding partial $. I just missed the full so I am hoping something will come my way in the next couple of weeks. Ive got my fingers crossed.

Mr Belding

• What a tool
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 02:07:04 PM »
How much do you know about memphis. I know people at grad school at U of M and they couldnt be more MISERABLE in memphis. Apparantly its an awful place for young, single people to live.
164 / 3.65

VolLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 03:44:17 PM »
I know that I am going to live one block from Beale Street, two blocks from where the Grizzlies play, four blocks from the baseball park and 12 miles from Tunica to gamble. Plus I dont plan on living in Memphis I plan on living in Nashville.

pkknecht

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2005, 08:56:30 PM »

Memphis isn't all that bad; I live there! It's got its ups and downs like any large-ish city, but the downtown area is going through a magor renovation, with a new NBA team, great downtown mall and movie theater, and, of course, Beale Street!  I have many friends who attend Memphis, including one friend at the law school.  The facilities, especially the library, are pretty bad and prone to frequent flooding, but there are definite plans to relocate the entire law school downtown, as a previous poster mentioned.  A law degree from Memphis will get you a decent job anywhere in the Mid-South, so don't worry about being stuck in Memphis the rest of your life!

Phillip

tsilva25

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2005, 01:27:31 AM »
Hey VolLaw,

I'm also entering Memphis Law next fall.  Maybe we'll be in the same section?

T
156 LSAT | 3.49 UGPA | 3.85 GGPA

=) : Memphis, UPacific
=| : Hofstra, Baylor
=( :

"...But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?" - J.R.R. Tolkien