Law School Discussion

"US News Strikes Again!" from Deloggio

inthesun

Re: "US News Strikes Again!" from Deloggio
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2005, 06:16:05 PM »
yeah, he's moving to manhattan. i don't know how i managed to get this lucky. & thanks    :-* 

go see fever pitch for a little taste of boston, btw... it's rather cute.

I think that's a movie I can actually get my bf to sit through...

bruin

• View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2005, 11:35:22 PM »

When did you start posting again?  You are super old school.  Like me.  

I post on again off again.  Mostly on-topic and lurking this time around.  No more "Handjobs, Yay or Nay?" threads/  ;)

It is a shame.  The new LSDrs are actually interested in discussing and analyzing the law school admissions process. 

If only they realized the important role a handjob can play in the admissions process...

So that's why Harvard is playing so hard to get! ;) :P

« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2005, 08:55:22 AM »
Deloggio is an annoying old bag, and I would take anything she says with a large grain of salt.

That said, she is correct about the basics of the methodological change.  I'm not really sure how it's a "flaw", though, aside from the fact that it's not a true median.  You can certainly argue that it gives a clearer picture of the actual LSAT range at each school, which is what that piece of data is really supposed to do.  (It's really just an extension of posting the 25/75 numbers in the first place, and it's hardly "arbitrary".)  In fact, as noted, it may stop certain schools from cheating the rankings, which is hardly admirable or desirable in itself.

The effect may well be to encourage schools to focus more on LSAT scores in the bottom half of the class.  However, it's not like this wasn't occurring anyway.  Schools have been LSAT focused for decades now (which is certainly better than the old system, where contacts and money were all you needed).

And under the current system, schools can still allow 24% of their class in with LSAT's of 120, if they want.  How many more diversity admits (of all kinds) does a school really need?

I think everyone likes to believe that their personal soft factors make them better potential law students, but that's simply not necessarily true.  Most work experience is probably pretty much irrelevant to law school.  (The MBA process is completely different -- work experience is obviously more directly related to a future in business administration.)

In my opinion, the LSAT basically measures two things.  The first are basic abilities that will generally make law school easier for you.  In some people, these abilities are so strong they can ace the LSAT with very little prep.  Even if you have these, however, you may not apply yourself in law school, which is why law schools also look at GPA, etc..  Top schools won't accept you, even with a perfect LSAT, if you don't have other factors indicating work ethic and academic achievement. 

The other thing the LSAT measures is whether you're willing to invest the time and effort necessary to master the exam.  Even if you don't start out with much natural aptitude, you can usually get a decent score with enough time and practice.  Someone who doesn't get a decent score (150+) is probably lacking in one or both of the above categories, which means that law school will in fact probably be very difficult for them.  (If you're not willing to invest enough time and energy to do well on the exam, you're probably not going to be willing to do the same in law school, which is even more demanding.)

The problem with giving the same weight to GPA is that GPA can mean very different things, depending on the major and school involved.

Ultimately, if you really believe that rankings are b*llsh*t, then you probably shouldn't worry about the LSAT emphasis.  As long as you prep thorougly, you should get in somewhere, and since all schools are comparable, that should be fine.  On the other hand, if you feel there are qualitative differences between schools, then those differences should presumably be based on objective criteria, and not simply on what we ourselves think makes us special.

« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2005, 03:30:17 PM »
Her main focus is to help people with problems getting into school based on lsat scores, gpa, criminal record, whatever...  If you dont have a problem, you won't need her services. 

Check her success stories (Kwame from the apprentice).