Law School Discussion

"US News Strikes Again!" from Deloggio

Re: "US News Strikes Again!" from Deloggio
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2005, 10:34:19 PM »

When did you start posting again?  You are super old school.  Like me. 

I post on again off again.  Mostly on-topic and lurking this time around.  No more "Handjobs, Yay or Nay?" threads/  ;)

It is a shame.  The new LSDrs are actually interested in discussing and analyzing the law school admissions process. 

If only they realized the important role a handjob can play in the admissions process...

If you are ever in Columbus, perhaps we can discuss.  I've never considered that perspective before...

jayhawk

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2005, 10:35:52 PM »
just thought i'd add to this conversation. here's a link:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/about/06law_meth_brief.php

for those of you confused about the meaning of this change:  there's not an increased emphasis on the lsat, just a new way of calculating it.  in the past, the ABA required law schools to report the median LSAT, and the law schools then reported that to USNews.  but then the ABA stopped requiring law schools to report the median and only required them to report the 25th and 75th percentiles.  this meant that USNews had to trust that the median LSATs schools were reporting was accurate.  recently, there were rumors that some schools were not being honest about their medians, so USNews decided that, instead of trusting the schools, they would just average the 25th and 75th percentiles (which they can verify with ABA). 

so, again: the change here is not an increased emphasis on LSAT.  however, if schools respond to it (which they will), they will not be able to accept as many lower-end applicants.  in the past, the emphasis has been more on the median, so they just needed to make sure that the top 50% of the class had a high LSAT.  now that the 25th percentile is a factor, they need to make sure that the top 75% of the class has a high LSAT.

inthesun

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2005, 10:39:54 PM »
Hi Jayhawk!  Thanks for clearing that up.  Harvard is lucky to have you!  :)

InVinoVeritas

• Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2005, 10:40:11 PM »
jayhawkgirl -- that's right.  the lsat score still contributes to the overall ranking in the same proportion as before.  however, the change effectively makes higher lsat scores important, which in turn plays to the root concerns of many of the previous posters on this thread.

inthesun

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2005, 10:43:39 PM »
Well, either way, there is no way I am getting off of Duke's waitlist.  I am sure that a drop in their ranking means taking no chances on someone like me.   :-\  Which is okay, because I am not sure I could have afforded it anyway.

jayhawk

« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2005, 10:50:26 PM »
Hi Jayhawk!  Thanks for clearing that up.  Harvard is lucky to have you!  :)

how are you?  nice to see you back.  i've pretty much left lsd since all the fun regulars (you, cho, pookie, absy, lexy, etc) don't post much anymore.  have you decided on a school yet?

jayhawk

« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2005, 10:54:02 PM »
are you disagreeing with what i said?

jayhawkgirl -- that's right.  the lsat score still contributes to the overall ranking in the same proportion as before.  however, the change effectively makes higher lsat scores important, which in turn plays to the root concerns of many of the previous posters on this thread.

InVinoVeritas

• Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2005, 10:56:34 PM »
no, did i imply that?

jayhawkgirl -- that's right. the lsat score still contributes to the overall ranking in the same proportion as before. however, the change effectively makes higher lsat scores important, which in turn plays to the root concerns of many of the previous posters on this thread.

jayhawk

« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2005, 10:57:55 PM »
yes

no, did i imply that?

jayhawkgirl -- that's right. the lsat score still contributes to the overall ranking in the same proportion as before. however, the change effectively makes higher lsat scores important, which in turn plays to the root concerns of many of the previous posters on this thread.

« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2005, 10:59:10 PM »
just thought i'd add to this conversation. here's a link:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/about/06law_meth_brief.php

for those of you confused about the meaning of this change:  there's not an increased emphasis on the lsat, just a new way of calculating it.  in the past, the ABA required law schools to report the median LSAT, and the law schools then reported that to USNews.  but then the ABA stopped requiring law schools to report the median and only required them to report the 25th and 75th percentiles.  this meant that USNews had to trust that the median LSATs schools were reporting was accurate.  recently, there were rumors that some schools were not being honest about their medians, so USNews decided that, instead of trusting the schools, they would just average the 25th and 75th percentiles (which they can verify with ABA). 

so, again: the change here is not an increased emphasis on LSAT.  however, if schools respond to it (which they will), they will not be able to accept as many lower-end applicants.  in the past, the emphasis has been more on the median, so they just needed to make sure that the top 50% of the class had a high LSAT.  now that the 25th percentile is a factor, they need to make sure that the top 75% of the class has a high LSAT.

Well, yes and no, I think.  The fact that they are averaging the 25 and 75 numbers, wouldn't that mean that they will trim that 25 just a bit?  They probably can't budge the 75 that much, but they have more discretion on the 25.  Come to think of it, managing the 25 will also elevate the 75.

For that reason, it will force schools to not extend as many offers on the lower end.  Reach schools will be just a little more out of reach next year, I'm afraid.