Law School Discussion

"US News Strikes Again!" from Deloggio

InVinoVeritas

• Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
Re: "US News Strikes Again!" from Deloggio
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2005, 09:31:33 PM »
novasnoodle:  how do you know that?  have you looked at the files of every admitted student at either temple or mich state who have relatively low numbers and determined that they are  indeed URMs?  what's your evidence besides LSN, which provides a woefully small and biased data set for most schools? 

also, i don't think the numbers have increased so dramatically as to completely render 2003 data meaningless.  sure, maybe fewer people with lower numbers were admitted (this is complete conjecture on my part), but that's not to say no one, who is not a URM, has been admitted this cycle with the same numbers.

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2005, 09:32:05 PM »

Just how is that bad? Schools that are not URM factories are helped by this new methodology, where in the past, they--and not schools like Duke--were penalized.  Why give "bonus points" for schools that admit students that simply haven't put up the numbers?

I feel that a 167 with a 4.0 is putting up numbers, but if the prediction is correct, this person may become less competitive than a 170 3.0.  THAT'S what is wrong with the flawed methodology.  Schools might be afraid to accept students with mediocre LSATs who are otherwise (GPA, extracurriculars, WE) great candidates.  

Novasnoodle:  I don't see how deloggio's analysis of data provided by USNWR has anything to do with data that she has compiled on her on and has nothing to do with the above entry. 

And FYI:  I know personally that many LS admissions dean's respect her, and give her the time of day.  I saw Faye Deal (Stanford) approach her at a forum, and spend several minutes chatting with her.  Something anyone who was busy recruiting students would not take the time to do with someone they could care less about.  HTH

167 4.0's aren't the problem for schools like Duke It is accepting the 3.2 157 URMs that bring down the 25the Percentile.

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2005, 09:34:46 PM »
This new calculation by USNWR will affect **everyone** who applies for reach schools.

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2005, 09:36:06 PM »
I feel that a 167 with a 4.0 is putting up numbers, but if the prediction is correct, this person may become less competitive than a 170 3.0.  THAT'S what is wrong with the flawed methodology.  Schools might be afraid to accept students with mediocre LSATs who are otherwise (GPA, extracurriculars, WE) great candidates.  

When did you start posting again?  You are super old school.  Like me.  

Anyways, I think it is a positive sign that many LSD posters received acceptances to reach schools based on soft factors this past cycle.

inthesun

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2005, 09:38:44 PM »
Yes, but I'm afraid that the wrong people will be left out when more and more law schools turn into LSAT whores.  There are plenty of high 150s that end up doing well in law school.  The admissions offices weren't afraid to accept them b/c they believed in the strength of the rest of their application.  And these people aren't all minorities (I'm sorry, URMS).  In an ideal world, yes, the people who didn't deserve to be at the school in the first place will finally be passed over for candidates with stronger numbers.  However, we can only guess what the negative repercussions are, and there likely will be negative repercussions when it comes to schools freaking out about losing their rankings.

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2005, 09:39:30 PM »
I feel that a 167 with a 4.0 is putting up numbers, but if the prediction is correct, this person may become less competitive than a 170 3.0.  THAT'S what is wrong with the flawed methodology.  Schools might be afraid to accept students with mediocre LSATs who are otherwise (GPA, extracurriculars, WE) great candidates.   

When did you start posting again?  You are super old school.  Like me. 

Anyways, I think it is a positive sign that many LSD posters received acceptances to reach schools based on soft factors this past cycle.

That's irrelevant since they were selected before the new USNWR methodology came out.  We'll see what happens with this summer's waitlist.  Then we'll have a good idea.

inthesun

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2005, 09:43:57 PM »

I post on again off again.  Mostly on-topic and lurking this time around.  No more "Handjobs, Yay or Nay?" threads/  ;)

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2005, 09:44:40 PM »
"That's irrelevant since they were selected before the new USNWR methodology came out.  We'll see what happens with this summer's waitlist.  Then we'll have a good idea."

True, but if you look at the "prediction" threads from last year and compare it to LSN profiles, you will find that this fall's entering class did a mediocre job of anticipating acceptances and rejections.  Regardless of UNWR methodology, the admissions process will remain largely a mystery.

However, I agree with everything above.  The new methodology sucks.

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2005, 09:48:34 PM »

I post on again off again.  Mostly on-topic and lurking this time around.  No more "Handjobs, Yay or Nay?" threads/  ;)

It is a shame.  The new LSDrs are actually interested in discussing and analyzing the law school admissions process. 

inthesun

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2005, 10:15:44 PM »

It is a shame.  The new LSDrs are actually interested in discussing and analyzing the law school admissions process. 

If only they realized the important role a handjob can play in the admissions process...