Law School Discussion

"US News Strikes Again!" from Deloggio

HippieLawChick

• Current 2L
    • View Profile
Re: "US News Strikes Again!" from Deloggio
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2005, 03:25:37 PM »
Hotel Yorba: I helped start a law firm that is now considered the best in its area of law.  You believe that my LSAT should be the only thing considered?  I have made $200K advertising decisons, I have hired 10 different lawyers, I manage 14 people and the day to day operations of our firm.  I worked full time during LSAT prep time b/c the firm's success depended on it. 

I should be judged as only a 163 and that's it? 

Under that same logic, the frickin Pope wouldn't get into Notre Dame with a 159. 

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2005, 03:25:54 PM »
I know someone going to school at a PA program next year and I don't think she has 1,000 hours.  Maybe she does, but I doubt it since she has went straight through school and starts the PA program in June or July.

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2005, 03:30:26 PM »
Hotel Yorba: I helped start a law firm that is now considered the best in its area of law. You believe that my LSAT should be the only thing considered? I have made $200K advertising decisons, I have hired 10 different lawyers, I manage 14 people and the day to day operations of our firm. I worked full time during LSAT prep time b/c the firm's success depended on it.

I should be judged as only a 163 and that's it?

Under that same logic, the frickin Pope wouldn't get into Notre Dame with a 159.

Calm down, SOB, I was only joking.  Don't take yourself so damned seriously though.  Think how cheap the admissions process would be, all that money could go toward scholorships.  It would also do away with rankings witch are total BS anyway.  I say to heck with work experience, actually lets waive the degree requiremnet - law school will now start right after high school if you like.

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2005, 03:39:37 PM »
I know someone going to school at a PA program next year and I don't think she has 1,000 hours.  Maybe she does, but I doubt it since she has went straight through school and starts the PA program in June or July.

Which PA program?

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2005, 03:51:53 PM »
Grand Valley - in MI
at least I think that's the one she's going to.  I think she applied to three, all here in MI.

elemnopee

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2005, 04:40:14 PM »
Why doesn't usnews split the points given for the LSAT with GPA?

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2005, 05:29:53 PM »
man im really not sure what to make of this- i admit i hate the lsat and think its sick how a question or two can make a difference between accepted with money and rejected.  At the same time i feel like gpa is a tuff thing to judge at times cuz some schools are harder then others (i mknow schools get info on this but still)- soft factors should matter but i think numbers need to account for something- as far as splits go im again torn---oh well guess ill be indecisive

midjeep

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2005, 07:01:22 PM »
All I can say is thank God I applied early and got accepted to SMU first round. The dean of SMU law was quoted in the WSJ discussing this same issue. It fell 7 spots in the new ranking and is similar to Duke with its applicants (higher actual LSAT median b/c than the one calculated by USNews with this new averaging system).

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2005, 08:38:53 PM »
Ok, Paperback, you must have an "in" with Deloggio because you're intentionally avoiding my posts and their arguments.

On Deloggio's website, she posts "what numbers you need to get in" [to lawschool] on this page:
http://www.deloggio.com/admproc/getin05.htm

And, states that with a 3.4 and 158-159 on the LSAT, you can get into Temple.
Also ,with a 2.8 and 151, you can get into Michigan State.  Is she nuts?

First, many people are rejected from Temple's part-time program with higher numbers
than this - just look at lawschoolnumbers.com, especially with regards to
Michigan State. Zero people were admitted with a 2.8 and 151.

Maybe a correct statement of Deloggio's findings is this:  if you're a URM, and
work with her and her supposed "connections" to admissions staff, she *might* be able to get
you into either school with those numbers.

However, I highly doubt it.  Deloggio's numbers are out-dated.  If Deloggio truly went to
the "2004 law school forums" and discussed these numbers ad coms, she's smoked some serious crunk. No ad com in their RIGHT MIND would present her with *those* numbers for the 2004 entering class. None, cuz they're not right.

And Paperback, your argument that adcoms don't have their figures for the 2004 entering class until USNWR issues their 2005 finding, is utter B-S.  Adcoms know in August, when the class arrives, what the numbers are for that year's entering class.

In short, Deloggios numbers are dated. She's got no "inside" track. And anyone she suckers into paying for this service deserves to be ripped off.  Why? You've got no common sense: a little common sense and Deloggio's disclaimer reveals that not even she can *guarantee* your acceptance to those school. In short, she's an infomercial for the students scared of law school and the admissions process. Quite sad.

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2005, 08:41:33 PM »
Sounds like they are taking the average between the high and low values.  That's hard to believe, if true, since schools will obviously let some (very few) in at the low end.  Just one person can screw up the "average", or "median", or whatever it is that USNWR is actually using.