Law School Discussion

"US News Strikes Again!" from Deloggio

inthesun

"US News Strikes Again!" from Deloggio
« on: April 24, 2005, 12:58:12 PM »
"US News Strikes Again!   
Nothing affects law school admissions policies as much as the US News rankings, and this year they've created a crisis.  They say they use the median LSAT score, but this year they didn't.  I checked the printed methodology, and it clearly says "median."  Instead, they split the difference between the 25th and 75th percentile scores.   

What difference does it make?  Let's look at Duke.  Their 75th %ile is 169; their median is 168; their 25th %ile is 162; the "split" is 165.5.  Using this number instead of the actual 168 lowered Duke in the USNews rankings.   

Using an arbitrary number instead of the published standard is unconscionable.  More importantly, it forces law schools to react to the actual number used.  Schools like Duke with broad discretionary ranges, and thus low 25th percentiles, will look at applicants with high LSAT scores to fill their remaining seats.  People with stellar academic records and a low LSAT may well be ignored in the next months.   

So those of you with high LSAT scores may well see some wait list action.  People with high GPAs are not likely to see any more offers from schools with broad discretionary ranges.

And in the future?  We don't know yet if USNWR plans to continue using this meaningless number, or why it chose to use it.  I can assure you, however, that if it continues to use it, diversity admits among mainstream applicants are doomed.  Law schools can't afford to throw away their rankings in order to admit that fascinating applicant with the unfortunately low LSAT score."

http://www.deloggio.com/newweb/news.htm

HippieLawChick

• Current 2L
    • View Profile
Re: "US News Strikes Again!" from Deloggio
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 01:02:13 PM »
Interesting post...however, those of us who depend on "soft factors" over GPA/LSAT were always screwed anyway.  If this is true, it probably makes it harder though.

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 01:13:52 PM »
This comes back to a thread topic a couple months ago.  My point was that USNWR dictates what is done by adcomms.  It looks like the LSAT is becoming more and more important.  On one hand, that makes sense because it is the only variable that is common to all law students.  On the other hand, does it make sense to place so much emphasis on one standardized test taken for 4 - 5 hours on a given Saturday morning?

If you are an older non-trad like me, then it is especially non-sensical because it just about completely disregards all my lifetime and professional achievements.  The only way a soft factor figures into the equation is if the soft factor is of an especially outstanding nature.

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 01:21:34 PM »
This just proves that Deloggio is a crack-pot and a fraud.

Just look at her admissions grids: these numbers are
far lower than what's projection on law school
websites and in USNWR.

She doesn't know what she's talking about, clearly.

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 01:50:20 PM »
This just proves that Deloggio is a crack-pot and a fraud.

Just look at her admissions grids: these numbers are
far lower than what's projection on law school
websites and in USNWR.

She doesn't know what she's talking about, clearly.

Her admissions grids aren't based on the entering 2005 class since that information is not yet available.  Once the new ranking calculations make their way through the process, it will have one helluva impact on the 2006 entering class.

I wouldn't call her a crackpot.  Her assertion makes sense.  Once the adcomms react to this new calculation, it will make it harder for lower LSAT scorers to get into reach schools.  I do agree with her when she says that those on the lower end of a school's acceptable LSAT range are less likely to make it off a waitlist over the Summer.

Looks like I'm probably going to have to choose between IU-Indy, Toledo, or Capital since I don't think my still pending reaches are going to pull me in.

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 02:18:26 PM »
Um, no.

IIIIIIIFFFFFFF  deloggio is going to these "law school forums" in the fall after the incoming class has been accepted,  WHY  would these schools give deloggio 2003 data when 2004 data is available?

doesn't make sense and as i said, fraud!

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 02:19:05 PM »
also, she has data on schools that she admits that she has never attended
or spoken to representative from....

she's b--s-it

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2005, 02:26:08 PM »
Just think how smooth the admissions process would be if you were only elligeble for schools based on LSAT.  Harvard 174, Yale 173, Georgetown 167, Temple 160, Syracuse 155, Cooley 144, Appalachian 120.  This would be great, no waiting, no LOR's, no apps, no PS, NO BULLSH!T.  I think this needs to happen.

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005, 02:33:03 PM »
This new data from USNWR is only three weeks old.  Much of the incoming 2005 decision making by adcomms is based on 2004 USNWR standards.  Now that they have changed their methodology, the people who will feel it first will be those on waitlists for the incoming 2005 class.  The 2006 class will feel the full force of this change.

This shouldn't be that hard to figure out.  Deloggio is right.  It will affect the 2006 class, and the pain will be felt most by those on the lower end of the LSAT range for each school.  Heck, it might even mean smaller classes next year.

As far as having data to schools with whom she has never spoke makes sense.  To varying degrees, adcomms want their process to be more or less transparent than others.  A lot of the work is using the best available data to determine how a school's admissions process works.  That's where Deloggio comes in.

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2005, 02:45:15 PM »
Just think how smooth the admissions process would be if you were only elligeble for schools based on LSAT.  Harvard 174, Yale 173, Georgetown 167, Temple 160, Syracuse 155, Cooley 144, Appalachian 120.  This would be great, no waiting, no LOR's, no apps, no PS, NO BULLSH!T.  I think this needs to happen.

I think that is how it is now.  I really don't think my rec letters, PS, or any of my personal accomplishments amounted to a hill of beans.  I think I was seen as an index number, and that's it.

I said before, and I'll say it again, if the USNWR placed an emphasis on professional work experience, then you'd see a more fair admissions process.  Placing such importance on UGPA/LSAT is horribly distorted.  I have a hard time when I think that what I did as a teenager is determining, to a large extent, my chances of getting into law school as a 35-year-old adult.

This emphasis on professional work, by the way, is common practice in many other areas, such as business school.  Believe it or not, but admittance into some areas of health require work experience in health care.  I was thinking about going to school to be a Physician's Assistant (which is like being a Doctor-lite), but it required at least 1,000 hours of work in caring for patients in some capacity.