Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Beef  (Read 7192 times)

Omegaman

• Sr. Citizen
  • Say it Loud! We're Black & Republican & Proud!!!
    • View Profile
Re: The Racism Issue
« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2005, 01:37:26 AM »
Moving on, here's an interview with Dr. Akbar

Study: Many blacks blame government for HIV epidemic
By Chris Stevenson
Thursday, April 21, 2005

A recent study reveals that African-Americans who comprise 13 percent of the American population also make up 50 percent of new HIV infections. Black women made up 73 percent of the new female HIV cases in 2003, compared to 40 percent of new cases for black men (black gay men represented 30 percent of the black males, there are no reports of new cases among black lesbians).

These findings are not surprising; everyone has been aware of the growing AIDS dilemma. What people in general are not aware of is the new black view on AIDS origins that is taking on a snowball effect almost as swiftly as the illness itself.

According to a study by the Rand Corp. and the University of Oregon, 44 percent of all African-Americans think that the new HIV patients that take the new medicines are actually guinea pigs, and 15 percent of those same polled think that AIDS is a form of genocide aimed toward blacks. What this suggests is that 44 percent of blacks feel the government is simply playing “You Got Punked” with its black patients who feel they are receiving actual treatment, as opposed to the 15 percent who feel the government is using AIDS to outright kill us off.

I think it’s healthy that people know what African-Americans really feel about the federal government as well as the health industry. As unsophisticated as these views may seem, it’s hard to ignore that this country has a track record.

“This is not a bunch of crazy people running around saying they’re out to get us,” states Na’im Akbar, a professor of psychology at Florida State University. But some pundits have been observing that a growing number of blacks have been pointing a finger toward government in connection to recent issues ranging from illegal drug importation to rigging presidential elections.

“The belief comes from the reality of 300 years of slavery and 100 years of post-slavery exploitation,” adds A-kbar.

This boils down to whether blacks believe that the descendants of slave owners are capable of actually creating this deadly virus in a government lab in modern times. Twenty-six percent of those blacks polled say yes. White pundits and pollsters have made much of black conspiracy theories, especially since the ’90s. What they haven’t noticed is 75.4 percent still feel the government is trying to stop the spread of HIV in black communities. Conservative whites see conspiracy howlers, I see a people still too trusting in mainstream white America to make a serious difference in stopping AIDS.

The results of this study, released in late January, was actually a telephone survey conducted between Sept. 2-3 by Applied Research Northwest (of Bellingham, Wash.). The company has a database of 19,000 phone numbers aimed at areas of the United States most densely populated with African-Americans, which resulted in 500 completed surveys of blacks between the ages of 15 to 44.

Blacks can find optimism in the results of another study released Jan. 30. The New York Times reported that the U.S. government is close to eliminating AIDS in infants. They site the vastly reduced number of infants born with HIV, from 2,000 in 1990, to five in 2003. The key has been continued success in stopping mother-to-child transmission. AIDS can only be cured by fighting the illness, and not tracing the skeptics.

Chris Stevenson is a columnist for the Buffalo Criterion and www.theBrownWatch.com. His column Pointblank can be read at www.voiceoffreedom.com, or you may e-mail comments to Stevenson at pointblankdta@yahoo.com.
View Printable Story

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2005, 01:40:49 AM »
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWww this #%@!-n-word started all this mess and now he's saying moving on? LMAO  ::) ;D
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2005, 01:47:58 AM »
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWww this #%@!-n-word started all this mess and now he's saying moving on? LMAO  ::) ;D

Damn, you are still on here??????????????? ::)
Back in the saddle again.

Omegaman

• Sr. Citizen
  • Say it Loud! We're Black & Republican & Proud!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2005, 01:49:41 AM »
Good News!!

Murder rate drops for young blacks
April 22, 2005

BY FRANK MAIN AND ANNIE SWEENEY Crime Reporters

The murder rate for black juveniles has declined far more sharply than for Latino youths over the past decade -- possibly highlighting racial differences in the behavior of street gang members, experts said Thursday.

The Chicago Police Department studied the killings of juveniles between 1991 and 2004, finding the murder rate steadily fell for African Americans under age 20.

For black youths between ages 17 and 19, for instance, the rate was above 150 per 100,000 in 1991 and below 100 per 100,000 in 2004, the study showed.

In the Hispanic community there were no significant changes in the murder rate for children under age 16. And the rate for Latinos between 17 and 19 dropped far less sharply than for African Americans -- a decrease that was not "statistically significant," the study said.

Still, the overall murder rate for African-Americans juveniles in 2004 remained higher than for Latinos, the study showed.

Overall decline in killings

The declining murder rate for African-American juveniles tracks a citywide decline in murders between 1991 and 2004. There were about 927 killings in 1991 and 445 last year -- a 51 percent drop. So far this year, homicides are down about 10 percent compared to the same period last year.

The study found gangs were most often involved in killings of youths older than 5 in Chicago.

It also showed that white teenagers are unlikely to be murdered in the city. Last year, there were no killings of white teenagers between ages 14 and 16.

"This shows the predictions in the late 1980s that juvenile crime would escalate out of control have not been borne out," said Arthur Lurigio, a Loyola University criminologist. "There was an alarmist mentality that we were raising a generation of increasingly violent children or 'super predators.'"

Lurigio also said Hispanic gang violence often stems from decades-old neighborhood rivalries, while killings of black gangsters often are "strictly business" -- tied to the drug trade.

As a result, police strategies in curbing outdoor drug markets may have less of an impact on Hispanic gang violence than in black communities, Lurigio said.

Charles Williams, deputy chief of patrol in the Harrison Area on the West Side, agreed. Violence in African-American communities revolves around drug sales, he said.

"The majority of our pressure has been to eliminate street narcotics sales," Williams said.

When fewer drug dealers are on the street, there are fewer shootings in African-American communities, including shootings of teenagers, Williams said.

But teen violence in Hispanic communities often has nothing to do with drugs.

"The conflicts you are fighting with in a Hispanic neighborhood are so much older and deeper," Williams said. "They go across generations: 'I hate you because my father hated you.' What we try to do is work with community groups to show the gang members how ridiculous it is."

Still an 'overwhelming issue'

Language barriers and immigrants' mistrust of law enforcement authorities have prevented police and outreach workers from intervening in gang violence in Hispanic communities to the same degree as in black communities, said Dr. Gary Slutkin, director of the Chicago Project for Violence Prevention, whose group works to hold down homicides.

"There is good news here, but it is still an overwhelming issue for people who live in these communities," he said. "There is more outreach required for both."

Slutkin said Chicago's murder rates for black and Hispanic youths are still "outrageous," especially in view of Chicago's average rate of 15 killings per 100,000 in 2004 -- or the national average of about five killings per 100,000.

Copyright © The Sun-Times Company
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2005, 01:54:30 AM »
Off and on. It's crunch time. I have a two more papers due by Tuesday Pizza and some redbull are going to be my best friends tonight.
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2005, 02:03:33 AM »
Maybe they were.  I am sure it is not the first time and sure it wont be the last time.  He probably is with them while they are doing it.

Then be pissed at me not RBG. I was the one who sent them to him not the other way around. The pictures came up b/c people from my school went to the conference. It was a five minute thing. Your making it sound like someone was jacking off to your image or something.

Matter of fact, Regal, u was talking earlier about how people need to stop Pming each other talking about you, but now you saying you going around sending pictures of other people behind their back without their permission. what do u really believe?

I sure as hell was b/c I seem to be a consistant topic for certain individuals. I doubt anyone still has those pictures. Besides If you didn't want your information out there, it shouldn't have been on a public website.

Edit: Why am I even having this discussion? Not to make you feel unwanted or anything you were not the topic of conversation when the pictures came up so why are your boxer/briefs/panties/balls in a bunch?

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2005, 02:05:48 AM »
"I may not be the finest mufukka"

Omegaman, you aint never said nothing more honest.

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2005, 02:21:45 AM »
Off and on. It's crunch time. I have a two more papers due by Tuesday Pizza and some redbull are going to be my best friends tonight.

Pop me a red bull....

Damn, you people are obviously having some interesting conversation about past issues.....

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2005, 02:23:33 AM »

Stop messing around on here with this and get them papers finished.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 23, 2005, 03:13:43 AM »
Well I step away to handle some biz and looky what we have here.  Omega done drove Regal over the edge.  ;D

I know it sounds difficult to do but when you step back for a second and take a look at it, its all pretty funny.  Funny because folks are for real gettin heated over the internet at people they've never met in real life!

For the record, there seems to be a lot of use of the word "stalker" going around on here with regards to Regal stalking me and I want to address that at this time.  I've never had a "stalker" ya'll. That word ain't came out my mouth with reference to Regal whether it be on this message board or on the phone with members of this message board. Regal I think you're assuming too much here.  Just like you told Omega to check his source before making statements, you need to check yours and ask me what I said, if anything, before making assumptions because you know what happens when you assume.  You have my number, use it. You let what LadyDay said get to you and now you're walking around this board all pissed off about what you THINK I said, instead of just asking me in the first place.  But now you and the whole board now knows that "Sands" never said Regal was a stalker, so consider that point adjudicated from here on out. 

I was going to lay dormant on this controversy but it seems that there's no way of getting around this one.  Ya'll porch monkeys done brought me out of retirement.  Look here Fam, let's get the cards on the table cuz that's how I get down...

I would be doing the board a disservice if I remained silent on the issue because to be quite honest, these little "beef" threads are taking up too much damn BLSD space and taking away from positive commentary that we could be putting up.  Yeah yeah yeah, they're funny at first, but after a while they just get downright f*cking annoying to everybody here.  So, in an effort to quiet this BS, we need to clear the air a little bit.

LadyDay and Regal don't like each other.  OK.  So be it.  This is America, Jack and you're free to think what you want.  We all know that Regal likes/has interest in/has a crush on Sands.  We all know that LadyDay is Sands' sister.  So if you two want to argue with each other, go right ahead.  I'd rather be left out of it, but it seems like you two won't let me stay out of it because you keep using "Sands" as a weapon to hold over each other's heads. Surely you two are creative enough to think of 1001 ways to insult each other without using third parties. 3 words to the both of you: Knock it off. 

Before I go, another "for the record", all this talk about pictures taken at the BLSA convention, Regal I hope you realize we never got a picture of LadyDay.  Ever. You were saying something about one of the girls in a photo being ugly, with reference to LadyDay. But that wasn't her.  Why did I mention that?  Because Omega is right, this whole picture thing got waaaaaaay out of control. There was all this talking and spreading and PM'ing of pictures and all that jazz, and the whole time the subject in question wasn't even in the photo!!!  The only people from this board in any the pics taken at the convention are Me, Lex, and Omega. 

Now we done all seen ugly ni@@as before, but I don't know why cats on here was saying Omega was ugly cause the cat ain't ugly by no means.  Ugly is like Craig Mack but hey, to each his own.

RBG - I don't know your involvement, if any, with regards to this fiasco.  You seemed to have moved on from the issue so nothing really to say here.

One last question...was all this necessary??? Now ya'll done got lawprofessor lookin at us like we crazy. My appologies to the professor and all other newbies and lurkers (well, maybe not the lurkers cause ya'll creep me out) 

You have my word, this will be my one and only post on this issue.  If I respond in public forum to ANY subsequent posts on this issue from ANYBODY on here I give HBCU full permission to delete every post I've ever put up on BLSD over the year and some change that I've been an active member of this Family.

Wordisbon!

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston