Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Michigan Fin Aid awards  (Read 3194 times)

michichi

• View Profile
Michigan Fin Aid awards
« on: April 23, 2005, 03:31:59 PM »
Anyone still waiting for their award?  Besides the 18.5 Stafford loan, how much grant money were you awarded for the year?  Was it merit or need-based?

Also, I saw on a different board that some people think the 5k scholarships were given to everyone, but that's not the case. I think they were merit based.

Boston24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Michigan Fin Aid awards
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 04:01:17 PM »
I received $7K per year at UMich (merit).  I received $15K per year at UVa and $22K per year at Northwestern, so I consider UMich a little stingy (and as a result I'm not going there).
UVa it is!

blaqueangel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 02:31:34 PM »
I received $7K per year at UMich (merit).  I received $15K per year at UVa and $22K per year at Northwestern, so I consider UMich a little stingy (and as a result I'm not going there).

Right on Boston24. I sent Michigan my offers from Georgetown, Duke and UVA---have I heard from them. Hell no. They are quite stingy. At one point, I was struggling with the Michigan vs fill in the blank school but once I saw they weren't handing out the dough that was the end of that place. I still can't believe they never responded to me when they suggested people forward offers from their "peer" schools at the first admit weekend.

To answer your question, michichi, they offered me 10k in need based. They didn't even offer me any merit money and I received merit $ from all the Top 20 schools that accepted me. 

blaqueangel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 05:37:17 PM »
Hi,

If you do not mind, can you PM me how much Duke is giving you.  I need to negotiate with them and want to have a rough baseline. 

No problem. Sent you a PM a few minutes ago. Good luck.

nekko

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 07:00:00 PM »
5k per year merit, like 8k or something need. I think they are going to be revising at least some financial award notices though do to changes in the summer cost estimates (I believe revising upward).

_____

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 07:28:08 PM »
Certain schools give out more than others due to endowment differences, etc...

For an objective look checkout these links:

Public: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/webextras/brief/sb_law_finaid_public_brief.php

Private: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/webextras/brief/sb_law_finaid_private_brief.php

As for me, Michigan gave me 11k/year, need only.  I plan to appeal, however, due to some changes in circumstances... (Unfortunately, they only hear appeals in September, once you're already there and underway...)

St. Shaun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 02:49:48 AM »
Anoddduck, if you don't mind me asking, what are your numbers. I'm still waiting
for my financial aid package and am curious to get an idea early.
You can't make everyone happy...
but you can sure piss everyone off.

_____

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 01:49:37 PM »
Anoddduck, if you don't mind me asking, what are your numbers. I'm still waiting

Sorry--I totally realized I had a major typo in my post.  My aid was NEED based, not merit based.  I have since corrected the error...

My numbers are actually on the low side for UMich: 3.77/161.

St. Shaun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005, 03:32:07 PM »

Sorry--I totally realized I had a major typo in my post.  My aid was NEED based, not merit based.  I have since corrected the error...

Well, it's good to know that they offer that much in need based support.

Do you think they consider your parents finances even if they make less then you do?
What I mean is, does it help me that I was a dependant a couple of years ago, and that my
parents have a considerably lower income level than I do.
You can't make everyone happy...
but you can sure piss everyone off.

_____

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 05:22:05 PM »

Well, it's good to know that they offer that much in need based support.

Do you think they consider your parents finances even if they make less then you do?
What I mean is, does it help me that I was a dependant a couple of years ago, and that my
parents have a considerably lower income level than I do.

Yes, they do consider that.  I actually made more than my dad last year, and I didn't make a fortune... (My parents are divorced, and he was my custodial parent). He last claimed me in 2002, but they still requested his info anyway.  In fact, they wrote him a letter to verify some stuff--mainly, I think--if he really is as broke as we said he was. 

I only found out about this letter because I asked if my application was complete and mentioned the fact that my dad is bad with mail... Otherwise, I would have never known and (precisely because my dad is bad with the mail) I would have been pending forever...

As such, I had him call the Financial Aid office,who then sent him an email with the inquiries, and he wrote back.  That was enough to count as "written" response and was a heck of a lot faster than snail mail.  (The Financial Aid office wouldn't tell me what they wanted to know because he would have needed to sign a written waiver giving me access to his financial information; the waiver on the Need Access form isn't enough...)

What's more, I later found out that they had sent the letter to the wrong address!  (My dad had moved since he last filed his taxes, and even though his address in the Need Access report was up to date, they used the address from the Taxes!)

So if you haven't heard, and it's been a while, call or write an email and ask about the status of your application.  And make sure to ask if they have sent any written requests for further information!  I would have never known if it hadn't come up in a round about way...

If you have any more questions, just PM me... Good luck!