Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GW Finaid  (Read 2448 times)

Bluenine

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shut up
    • View Profile
GW Finaid
« on: April 23, 2005, 12:02:10 PM »
Did anyone else get zilch from GW? Do you plan on trying to negotiate?  If you have, were you successful?
The George Washington University Law School c/o 2008

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: GW Finaid
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 10:29:07 AM »
According to LSAC, the average grant offered by GW is only $10,000.   

Law schools really expect students to pay for their legal education. 

I got basically nothing from GW (I think maybe a $7000 grant or something).  My numbers are at the low end for them, but I tried to negotiate anyway, especially since I had a ton of $$ offered but all from lower ranked schools.  I wrote them an email and followed up with a letter.  They replied "No".

I might try again in a few weeks, with the thought that maybe some scholarship people didn't send in their seat deposit.  Bottom line is I don't think I can justify graduating with a $150,000 debt when I could graduate with a $30,000 debt elsewhere.  Decisions, decisions...

Bluenine

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shut up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 01:44:06 PM »
I got basically nothing from GW (I think maybe a $7000 grant or something).  My numbers are at the low end for them, but I tried to negotiate anyway, especially since I had a ton of $$ offered but all from lower ranked schools.  I wrote them an email and followed up with a letter.  They replied "No".

I might try again in a few weeks, with the thought that maybe some scholarship people didn't send in their seat deposit.  Bottom line is I don't think I can justify graduating with a $150,000 debt when I could graduate with a $30,000 debt elsewhere.  Decisions, decisions...

At least you got a grant.  I got absolutely nothing.  How long did it take for them to respond to your e-mail and letter?

waiterlawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 02:23:06 AM »
I got absolutely nothing as well and my numbers were definitely on the higher end of their admitted students.  I don't understand it.  I guess they expect you to be completely broke for them to give you anything.  I was set on GW before but now I think I'm going to pass on going to school there.  I don't think the cost is worth it considering it's not a top school.  I'm just annoyed that I have spent the last 5 months working overtime to save up money for law school and it probably hurt me in terms of grants.  So basically if I sat around doing nothing I would have had a better chance at getting enough money in grants to make up for not working.   

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 08:10:25 AM »
You just said GW is not a top school?  Its top 20 and its cheaper than many tier 3 schools so how do you figure?
Attending GW in Fall '06

glascow1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 10:17:30 AM »
I agree they gave me a measly 8 K grant - I wrote for money and they said no.  I couldnt justify paying 148K for law school for a school ranked at the edge of 20 and tied with BU.  T14 maybe.  IVY definitely but not GW.

I decided to go to a school that is only going to cost me 25.5 k (comfortable existnece)for 1L
 as opposed to 44k (scraping by) and its the equivelent of GW in another state and its still top 30.
Fordham Law 2008

Bluenine

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shut up
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 10:28:05 AM »
I agree they gave me a measly 8 K grant - I wrote for money and they said no.  I couldnt justify paying 148K for law school for a school ranked at the edge of 20 and tied with BU.  T14 maybe.  IVY definitely but not GW.

I decided to go to a school that is only going to cost me 25.5 k (comfortable existnece)for 1L
 as opposed to 44k (scraping by) and its the equivelent of GW in another state and its still top 30.

I've been thinking this as well.  I'm really torn. I would really like to spend the next three years at GW, but Minn gave me a nice piece of change and the school is ranked slightly higher. 

glascow1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 10:55:51 AM »
that is tough - go where you would like to enjoy 3 years of your life - if you feel you have the financial stamina to pay off huge chunks of debt - some people feel comfortable go with it - but if you could enjoy UM and its a fraction - I would go with the fraction.....I hear people acting like 100 - 150 K is no big deal compared to future earning potential - it isnt if you got an amazing deal like top 5 or ivy - but thats serious money and serious debt - and I dont think people understand what making 1000+ monthly payments on your student loan to pay it off in 20 years along with LIVING expenses and treating yourself is really going to be like - and you can't discharge educational debt AND bankruptcy rules are now going to be stricter.  PAYING of debt is no fun I have plenty of exprience with that and I had a real good situation to allow me to pay if off -
Fordham Law 2008

waiterlawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 05:08:00 PM »
You just said GW is not a top school?  Its top 20 and its cheaper than many tier 3 schools so how do you figure?

Maybe I went a little overboard.  I was just very annoyed because I was deciding between BC and GW initially and I chose GW.  But dealing with their financial aid office has been very unpleasant.  Whereas the financial aid lady at BC was very warm and inviting, the people I have talked to on the phone at GW have been very rude and blunt.  They don't seem to want to help you pay for law school or even care if you can or not.  So why am I going to invest $34,000 a year with these people? 

I did not mean to trash GW, just their financial aid office.  I feel as though I am being somewhat screwed because my stats are easily above GW's averages and I'm not getting a cent in financial assistance.

waiterlawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 05:09:37 PM »
Not to harp on it still but I just wanted to add, that by saying not a top school, my concern was that I could stomach a large debt for a school like Upenn or Cornell, where a well paying job is almost guaranteed.  But for GW, while good, I will not be guaranteed anything but 120k of debt.