Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Credit Score  (Read 12559 times)

JeffB

• I can't stop thinking about ninjas
    • View Profile
Re: Credit Score
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 04:11:23 PM »
First of all, I suggest you find out from your lender which credit agency they will use to check your score.  Then get on that web page (Experian or Equifax, f.e) and check your score.  Cost varies by agency.
In at USD

Oneof2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 04:16:29 PM »
I havent picked a lender yet...Im still trying to figure out all the differences.

vegannramember

• Sr. Citizen
  • going to fordham
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 04:51:21 PM »
FYI from personal experience:

620 + no cosigner = no go at accessgroup.

GOOD LUCK!

but they would have with a cosigner?

la-man

• Sr. Citizen
  • I need some gel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2005, 03:23:21 AM »
everyone should go to experian.com...and sign up for their credit manager for free for one month. you get your credit score and your whole report and explanation for free. you can also dispute everything on ur report. i did this a month ago, and things i was late on i disputed and all of it is off now and i have a great score again. now i'm gonna call and cancel it...take this advice...it takes 30 days for things to clear and its really simple...
UCLA 1L.

blaze.1

• yellow snow!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2005, 04:07:58 AM »
The easy way:
http://consumers.creditnet.com/Credit_Services/Credit_Repair/index.php

The hard way:
http://consumers.creditnet.com/Discussions/forumdisplay.php?s=940f6d6f1d78c2968ba09656c34a6c0c&forumid=3

If you have bad credit, you have no idea what you are missing out on.  Here is the answer to your prayers.  No, I'm not selling this stuff but straight up, the information is awesome and as a consumer, you need to be aware of your legal rights.

I raised my scores (the hard way) from 660 to over 700 by using the laws of the Fair Credit Reporting Act.  I later found out through friends how good the "easy way" is.  Anyways, look through the sites and tell me what you think.  It's pretty sweet stuff.  ;)
Attending: Temple

blaze.1

• yellow snow!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2005, 04:13:22 AM »
There are 3 main credit agencies:  Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion.  Some banks check only one agency, others merge the three and take an average.  Just so you know, 640 is not the greatest score.  You'll definitely pay more interest.  I think 680+ is good and 700+ is considered "A" paper credit.

At the least, you should pull your credit reports and verify all the information as accurate.  Sometimes, people have been the victim of identity theft and don't even know it.  Your credit report might reveal this.  Simply check the accounts and make sure they are all accurate.  That's the best place to start.  For more resources, click my post above.  Good luck to you.
Attending: Temple

Oneof2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2005, 04:35:47 PM »
everyone should go to experian.com...and sign up for their credit manager for free for one month. you get your credit score and your whole report and explanation for free. you can also dispute everything on ur report. i did this a month ago, and things i was late on i disputed and all of it is off now and i have a great score again. now i'm gonna call and cancel it...take this advice...it takes 30 days for things to clear and its really simple...

la-man, i went to experian today and got my free report.  thanks for the advice!

by the way, experians reports are much easier to read than the ones from equifax.

Boston24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2005, 05:11:49 PM »

la-man, i went to experian today and got my free report.  thanks for the advice!

by the way, experians reports are much easier to read than the ones from equifax.

Are you sure this is safe?  I feel weird submitting my ssn, mother's maiden name and cc number.  And this won't hurt my credit score in any way shape or form???
UVa it is!

biglarryowens

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • biglarryowens on LSN
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2005, 05:34:22 PM »
Tag.
166/3.58
Attending UT ($)
Yes: USC, Wash U, USD, ASU, William&Mary, Indiana, UofA, UNLV, Illinois, UT Austin
No: NYU, Georgetown, Columbia, Yale, Havard, Penn, Duke
Defer: Cornell
Waitlist: UCLA

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=biglarryowens

vegannramember

• Sr. Citizen
  • going to fordham
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2005, 06:08:30 PM »

Are you sure this is safe?  I feel weird submitting my ssn, mother's maiden name and cc number.  And this won't hurt my credit score in any way shape or form???

yes. it's a credit bureau.