Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Credit Score  (Read 12243 times)

Boston24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Credit Score
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2005, 09:17:05 AM »
I'm likely going to use northstar for my loans, but I've always been too cheap to pay for the credit score. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to go to get these little numbers? Should I just go directly to each company, or is there somewhere I can get all three?

You can get all 3 at experian.com, also.
UVa it is!

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2005, 09:20:29 AM »
pull your own and get fired! at least it was that way where I worked. 
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2005, 09:58:17 AM »
I'm likely going to use northstar for my loans, but I've always been too cheap to pay for the credit score. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to go to get these little numbers? Should I just go directly to each company, or is there somewhere I can get all three?

they sell all three credit reports, but i don't think you get fico scores.  experian sells its "PLUS" score, which, as far as I know, is not the credit score that goes to lenders.

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2005, 10:02:28 AM »
What exactly is the PLUS score?  I have been wondering that for a long time.  How does it correlate with the FICO score?  Does anybody know?

they sell all three credit reports, but i don't think you get fico scores.  experian sells its "PLUS" score, which, as far as I know, is not the credit score that goes to lenders.

Oneof2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2005, 10:04:04 AM »
I thought they were the same thing...how misleading...

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2005, 10:04:42 AM »
the PLUS score is experian's proprietary credit score.  i'm not exactly sure how their calculation differs from Fair Isaac's but the scores are rarely exactly the same even though the same credit information is used by both companies.

Oneof2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2005, 10:07:21 AM »
Surely they'd have to be in the same ballpark.  Right?!

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2005, 10:13:43 AM »
sure, they're not leagues apart.  but i'm not sure that they're always so close that a lender would always agree to a loan based on both scores indivdiually; i.e. if you showed a lender the fico score, they may say yes, but if you show them the plus score, they may say no, and vice versa.  i'm not sure though.

JGB

• AOL Instant Messenger - jgxbyrd
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - byrdjg@sbcglobal.net
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2005, 10:24:28 AM »
It involves more than just the score! You could have a 650, but a repo on your car last year. You could also have a 650 with no lates, just a bunch of inquiries and new lines of credit. No, the lender does not base your approval solely off of the score itself.
Applying Fall 2006

SMU or Bust

JFK

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2005, 10:55:59 AM »
Question:  Do the federal loans (stafford) factor in your credit score or is this merely for additional private loans?  My score is not great, and I should be able to pay my full tutition with my federal subsidized and un-subsidized loans.  Will I be affected?