Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Guessing Strategy For Skipped Questions  (Read 847 times)

dta

Guessing Strategy For Skipped Questions
« on: May 29, 2004, 01:44:20 PM »
My guessing strategy for questions that I had to skip (due to time) was to simply have a pre-determined 'guess letter' that I always used. I have now adopted a new guessing strategy that has consistently earned me a point or two extra than the 'guess letter' strategy.

I am a very slow test taker so I have a lot of skipped questions (but high accuracy, so i score in the low to mid 160's). I usually have to skip 2-4 questions in each LR section, 2-3 questions in the RC section, and in the games section I always get 2 games perfectly w/ no errors but don't even get to the other 2 games.

On the LR section I always skip the parrallel the reasoning questions (cause they take longest) and maybe one more question near the end. Instead of bubbling in these questions as I go I leave them blank. Then, at the end with about 30 seconds remaining, I scan back over the ones I skipped and look for a letter in each case that is "yearning" to be bubbled in. For example, if an A is bubbled both before and after the one I skipped and there's been a long span of no C's around the one I skipped, I'm going to select the C. I do the same on the RC section.

On the games section, after completing the 2 games (i usually have 2-4 minutes left) I look and see what letter was used least often. I then use that as my guess letter for the remaining 2 games I had to skip.

Since adopting this approach I get way more than 20% of the ones I skip correct. Sometimes, like the last practice test I took, it really pays off - I got 6/15 skipped questions correct. Those 6 extra raw score points moved me from a 163 to a 168.

I know I won't always get a payoff like that, but I've definitely noticed an improvement in my "guess on skips" accuracy since adopting this approach. It's definitely above the 20% i'd expect from blind guessing.

Gummo

Re: Guessing Strategy For Skipped Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2004, 03:07:10 PM »
That's a great strategy.  Testmasters counted the times each letter answer occurred, and they found slightly (and I do mean SLIGHTLY) higher instances of D and B.  Picking one consistently definitely gives you a statistical advantage...I always use D.

Candide

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2004, 03:25:17 AM »
Gummo, I'm confused.  You say that it's a "great strategy", yet you completely contradict that statement with your D method and your "picking one consistently definitely gives you a statistical advantage" statement.  Which is it?

I haven't really noticed any guessing success since I implemented the strategy that dta is talking about.  I suspect that LSAC knows that people will try this, and so they purposely design sections - especially AR sections - to have a weak letter, one that doesn't show up a lot in the first half, and doesn't really show up a lot in the second half of the section either.  This suspicion is based on a really small sample size of tests though.

M2

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2004, 07:16:39 AM »
At powerscore they recommend looking to see which letter has come up the least, and if this can't be seen iwth a cursory glance than one should guess D.

Meltdown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2004, 11:31:10 AM »
At powerscore they recommend looking to see which letter has come up the least, and if this can't be seen iwth a cursory glance than one should guess D.

Yeah, they have the stats online at http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/guessing.htm. D is 21.4% and B is 20.6% those are the two highest. A is the worst at 18.8%.