Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Georgetown Preferred Waitlist  (Read 1767 times)

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Georgetown Preferred Waitlist
« on: April 22, 2005, 04:21:39 PM »
I got this email this afternoon, and I was wondering if it was just boilerplate.  Did everybody else get a letter like this?

Dear XXXXXX,

As you are aware from earlier communications with Georgetown University Law Center, our Committee on Admissions had identified you as one of our stronger applicants and placed you on our preferred waitlist.  As mentioned in the letter you should have already received, you will be one of the first applicants whom we will contact in the event of an opening.

Even though we could not initially offer you a position in the entering class, we stay committed to our promise to update you.  Our first deposit is due May 2, and we hope to have a better idea of potential openings during the week of May 9, but it is possible we may know even sooner.  Please confirm your interest in Georgetown as soon as possible by e-mailing XXXXXXXX XXXXXXX at XXXXXX@law.georgetown.edu.  If you feel comfortable sharing any more specific information about other law school deadlines, she will be happy to pass this along to the Committee as well. 

Finally, if spaces do become available, there will be a short time frame for you to make your enrollment decision.  Thus, if you intend to apply for financial aid to help finance your law school costs, you should complete the FAFSA/Need Access forms as soon as possible.  Information on applying for aid is available at www.law.georgetown.edu/finaid. Completing aid materials earlier will facilitate your aid evaluation and minimize delays in your receipt of your award notice.

We will give you an update by e-mail on May 17 and look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXX XXXX
Director of Admissions

mlenin

• View Profile
Re: Georgetown Preferred Waitlist
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 05:53:17 PM »
Are you full-time or part-time? I got an e-mail as well, but it was very different and not nearly as positive.

I am on the preferred waitlist for part-time students.

I prefer not to post the e-mail. 

idontknow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 05:55:26 PM »
I do remember the original letter saying something about May contact, but I haven't received that.

UberTwinklee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 05:58:43 PM »
I got a slightly less optimistic email, but with the same basic points.

Apparently, Georgetown was just too passive-aggresive to just ding me off the bat ;)

laestrella

• MSN Messenger - laestrella26@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - laestrella26
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 06:01:46 PM »
I am on the Regular waiting list and got the email today.  Mine is definitely not as positive.  They also left out tons of info.  It excludes talk about Financial Aid and is only 2 paragraphs.  Georgetown didn't say anything about us being strong candidates.    The letter also never mentions the fact that the first deadline is May 2nd.  They only mention a deadline of May 13.  It seems as though people on the Regular Waiting list are second rate (let's hope we don't have to go to you guys) candidates....
Attending: GW

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 06:02:16 PM »
Are you full-time or part-time? I got an e-mail as well, but it was very different and not nearly as positive.

I am on the wait list for full time students.

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2005, 06:09:45 PM »
I am on the Regular waiting list and got the email today.  Mine is definitely not as positive.  They also left out tons of info.  It excludes talk about Financial Aid and is only 2 paragraphs.  Georgetown didn't say anything about us being strong candidates.    The letter also never mentions the fact that the first deadline is May 2nd.  They only mention a deadline of May 13.  It seems as though people on the Regular Waiting list are second rate (let's hope we don't have to go to you guys) candidates....

I feel second rate on all of my waitlists. 

I do wonder why the have two different waitlists.  Do they ever take somebody off of the regular over the preferred waitlist?  That doesn't make much sense.  Do they ever exhaust the preferred waitlist?  Doubt it. 

Oh, well.  This waitlist thing is just annoying.  I tell myself not to get my hopes up, but I still do.  Especially when I get an email like this.

idontknow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 06:12:01 PM »
Were you admitted for 2006?

I got this email this afternoon, and I was wondering if it was just boilerplate.  Did everybody else get a letter like this?

Dear XXXXXX,

As you are aware from earlier communications with Georgetown University Law Center, our Committee on Admissions had identified you as one of our stronger applicants and placed you on our preferred waitlist.  As mentioned in the letter you should have already received, you will be one of the first applicants whom we will contact in the event of an opening.

Even though we could not initially offer you a position in the entering class, we stay committed to our promise to update you.  Our first deposit is due May 2, and we hope to have a better idea of potential openings during the week of May 9, but it is possible we may know even sooner.  Please confirm your interest in Georgetown as soon as possible by e-mailing XXXXXXXX XXXXXXX at XXXXXX@law.georgetown.edu.  If you feel comfortable sharing any more specific information about other law school deadlines, she will be happy to pass this along to the Committee as well. 

Finally, if spaces do become available, there will be a short time frame for you to make your enrollment decision.  Thus, if you intend to apply for financial aid to help finance your law school costs, you should complete the FAFSA/Need Access forms as soon as possible.  Information on applying for aid is available at www.law.georgetown.edu/finaid. Completing aid materials earlier will facilitate your aid evaluation and minimize delays in your receipt of your award notice.

We will give you an update by e-mail on May 17 and look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXX XXXX
Director of Admissions

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2005, 06:13:34 PM »

idontknow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 06:16:15 PM »
I am on the preferred waitlist for full-time and I received the same email as laestrella. So it seems you are at the top of their waitlist.