Law School Discussion

seton hall vs rutgers

Re: seton hall vs rutgers
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2005, 08:49:52 PM »
I didn't apply to Rutgers so can't really say anything about it.

After I visited schools, though, I liked Seton Hall the most and will probably be there in the fall (over higher ranked schools).  I loved the atmosphere there! 

But yeah, I second mschuell's suggestion...go visit the schools!  It became really obvious to me that there were some schools that I would not be happy at and others which I thought were great based on the atmosphere, professors, and students.

any word from Fordham on a revised aid package?

Nope...but honestly, I don't really care anymore.  I like Seton Hall so much and the $ is too hard to turn down. :)  See you in the fall! 

Awesome!

Congrats on (almost) making your decision!

kristay

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2005, 09:18:54 PM »
Thanks! :)

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2005, 04:52:42 AM »

Based on the research I have done and people I have talked to, I would generally say they are both regional schools, but Rutgers is a little more respected nationally, while in NJ they are virtually equal.

I would visit both and make your decision based on that.

I have heard they have two very different atmospheres.

Curious about your comment about very different atmospheres between R-N and SHU. Care to elaborate on what you've heard?

From a few lawyers in NJ I have heard that Seton Hall is a little more laidback and younger, while Rutgers is more the t traditional competitive feel, with an older student body.

Also, I think it would be safe to say Rutgers is more liberal than Seton Hall, if that is a concern/selling point.

I loved Seton Hall when I visited- The profs are amazing and the building is as well.

Thanks for the feedback, and good luck next fall.

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2005, 06:47:13 AM »
Hey Guys - I am a current 1L at SH, and I can confirm that your perceptions of the school are pretty accurate. It is a very student-based school. The professors have an open door policy. All of my professors know who I am, stop to have conversations with me, numerous ones helped me with my job search, etc. It is pretty unbelievable how attuned the professors are to students. In addition, it is a younger, less-competitive feel than Rutgers (my roomie's bf went there and a friend of mine went there, so I have some comparisons). The school has a lot of social events and tries to make law school as enjoyable as possible.

That said, it is a regional school. If you want to practice in NJ, then SH is the place to be. But, SH's career services is really bad. If you are looking to work in a firm in NYC and you got into a school in NY, I would go to the school in NY. This is not to say that SH never places in the city because people do work there. However, its main target is NJ and you are competing with tons of great schools in NY. If you only want to work in NJ or if you aren't interested in firm work, then I don't think this applies to you. Also, if you are at the top of your class at SH, you will probably do well getting a job in NY. But that is very hard to do, so I would just think about that before you make your choice. Once again, I am not trying to dissuade anyone bc you're all right...it is a very laid-backed atmosphere and the professors are so amazing it is unbelievable.

ccorsi

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2005, 06:50:08 AM »
Thanks for the insider's view.

C2

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2005, 10:48:15 AM »
Hey Guys - I am a current 1L at SH, and I can confirm that your perceptions of the school are pretty accurate. It is a very student-based school. The professors have an open door policy. All of my professors know who I am, stop to have conversations with me, numerous ones helped me with my job search, etc. It is pretty unbelievable how attuned the professors are to students. In addition, it is a younger, less-competitive feel than Rutgers (my roomie's bf went there and a friend of mine went there, so I have some comparisons). The school has a lot of social events and tries to make law school as enjoyable as possible.

That said, it is a regional school. If you want to practice in NJ, then SH is the place to be. But, SH's career services is really bad. If you are looking to work in a firm in NYC and you got into a school in NY, I would go to the school in NY. This is not to say that SH never places in the city because people do work there. However, its main target is NJ and you are competing with tons of great schools in NY. If you only want to work in NJ or if you aren't interested in firm work, then I don't think this applies to you. Also, if you are at the top of your class at SH, you will probably do well getting a job in NY. But that is very hard to do, so I would just think about that before you make your choice. Once again, I am not trying to dissuade anyone bc you're all right...it is a very laid-backed atmosphere and the professors are so amazing it is unbelievable.

Can you elaborate on why the career services are really bad?

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2005, 04:04:51 PM »
Well...they really are trying to improve it, but I don't think it is working. For example, in the beginning of the year, they gave us a career services talk at which they basically said it was impossible for 1Ls to get firm jobs and the main way to get jobs is networking. Every time I have gone there, they emphasize networking, rather than what they can provide. I realize that a large part of legal employment comes from who one knows; however, the point of a career services office is not to reiterate to me that I need to network. So, basically, I had to send out over 50 resumes just to get a few callbacks for a summer job.

That said, the alumni base for SH is unbelievable, and I was able to secure a paying job this summer through that. So, where career services is lacking, the alumni come in strong. There is a great sense of pride in SH, more so in many other law schools I have seen. Alumni want good things to happen for the school and are very involved.

Additionally, Spring OCI consisted of about 25-30 options most of which were resume collections.

Like I said earlier, it is definitely not bad in terms of connecting students with jobs in NJ, and it is very good for if one wants a non-paying judicial clerkship. However, if you want a job elsewhere, they aren't much help. But, most tier 2 schools don't have as many connections as higher ranked schools outside of their regional area. That seems to be the nature of legal employment.

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2005, 04:16:44 PM »
Well...they really are trying to improve it, but I don't think it is working. For example, in the beginning of the year, they gave us a career services talk at which they basically said it was impossible for 1Ls to get firm jobs and the main way to get jobs is networking. Every time I have gone there, they emphasize networking, rather than what they can provide. I realize that a large part of legal employment comes from who one knows; however, the point of a career services office is not to reiterate to me that I need to network. So, basically, I had to send out over 50 resumes just to get a few callbacks for a summer job.

That said, the alumni base for SH is unbelievable, and I was able to secure a paying job this summer through that. So, where career services is lacking, the alumni come in strong. There is a great sense of pride in SH, more so in many other law schools I have seen. Alumni want good things to happen for the school and are very involved.

Additionally, Spring OCI consisted of about 25-30 options most of which were resume collections.

Like I said earlier, it is definitely not bad in terms of connecting students with jobs in NJ, and it is very good for if one wants a non-paying judicial clerkship. However, if you want a job elsewhere, they aren't much help. But, most tier 2 schools don't have as many connections as higher ranked schools outside of their regional area. That seems to be the nature of legal employment.

Thanks- so it seems like you are saying its not because of Seton Hall's reputation or anything, its just that the actual office is not helpful, correct?

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2005, 04:18:50 PM »
i think the schools are close enuff in the rankings that you should base your decision more on comfort level as my impressions have def been that the schools offer very different environments- (also i am a bit worried about ru in the future with the lack of funding and poor overall university management- not sure how much this effects the ls tho)

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2005, 05:57:54 PM »
Correct - I don't think they have any problems, specifically in NJ reputation-wise. They're bar pass rate is much higher than Rutgers, their alumni connections are vast, and each admissions cycle is becoming more competitive. But, it is a NJ school, so many alumns are in Jersey and as would be expected, the schools networks best in NJ. That is just how it goes when you go to a law school outside of the Top 20 (arguably). They tend to place best regionally, so go to school where you want to practice(is the advice I have been given).

Also, I don't want to bash career services because everyone who works there is very nice. I just think that they have tunnel vision in getting people NJ jobs and in thinking it is impossible to get 1Ls firm jobs, rather than at least trying to draw firms to the school.