Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UCLA (48k) vs waitlist calls from Columbia, Cornell, U Penn  (Read 1091 times)

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
Re: UCLA (48k) vs waitlist calls from Columbia, Cornell, U Penn
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2005, 03:18:49 PM »
i'll be throwing about 55K back into the pot within the next week.  good luck to everyone who's still waiting to hear about $$$.

tencigars

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2005, 06:38:22 PM »
When did you get notified of your UCLA scholarship? I'm still hoping for money from them.

i'm curious about this as well.  their deadline is coming up soon, and i havn't heard back from them yet either...

It was about two weeks ago that I heard.  The merit scholarship folks seemed to pay attention to the financial aid award, so if you haven't received your financial aid packet yet, that could be the reason for the scholarship delay.

Are you both, Neutron and hopelyn, planning to go to UCLA?

James Neutron

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2005, 08:55:00 PM »
When did you get notified of your UCLA scholarship? I'm still hoping for money from them.

i'm curious about this as well.  their deadline is coming up soon, and i havn't heard back from them yet either...

It was about two weeks ago that I heard.  The merit scholarship folks seemed to pay attention to the financial aid award, so if you haven't received your financial aid packet yet, that could be the reason for the scholarship delay.

well, i already received my financial aid package.  i emailed the scholarship woman and asked if that meant i'm not getting anything.  she said they were unrelated.  i have it narrowed down to UCLA/USC or Duke.  if UCLA doesnt come up with some decent money, i wont be going, since both USC and Duke gave me some

tencigars

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2005, 02:25:12 AM »

well, i already received my financial aid package.  i emailed the scholarship woman and asked if that meant i'm not getting anything.  she said they were unrelated.  i have it narrowed down to UCLA/USC or Duke.  if UCLA doesnt come up with some decent money, i wont be going, since both USC and Duke gave me some

Are you a California resident?  If not, one big appeal of California is that it is one of the few states where you can easily establish residency and get in-state tuition at public schools after your first year.  That equates to about $25,000.00 in scholarship money when comparing costs of schools.

I don't know if USC drops your tuition if you get in-state residency.  They are a private school, aren't they?

As for Duke vs. UCLA.. I think it greatly depends on whether you are going for corporate law.  My impression is that Duke is more of a corporate law mill than most.  (Half their law students are dually enrolled for MBAs.)  If corporate law is your bag, I'd think Duke would be a better choice.  Otherwise, I suspect that UCLA may have more to offer.

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2005, 11:13:47 AM »
usc does not offer reduced tuition to california residents, and the difference in tuition at UCLA for in-state and out-of-state students is about 10K per year.

tencigars

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2005, 02:03:35 PM »
usc does not offer reduced tuition to california residents, and the difference in tuition at UCLA for in-state and out-of-state students is about 10K per year.

UCLA is providing me with a non-resident tuition waiver for the first year, which they approximated at $12,245.00.

miguel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2005, 02:31:23 PM »
How did you manage to get the out-of-state tuition fee waiver? Is that considered a scholarship or grant? I would love to get that for myself at Berkeley...

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2005, 02:36:20 PM »
ucla (as well as other state schools like UT) offer in-state tuition wavers as part of scholarship packages.

tencigars

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2005, 08:12:08 PM »
How did you manage to get the out-of-state tuition fee waiver? Is that considered a scholarship or grant? I would love to get that for myself at Berkeley...

Part of the Dean's Merit Scholarship.

I envy you your acceptance to Boalt.

Jeff