Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: And the winner is....Arkansas  (Read 1090 times)

be10dwn

And the winner is....Arkansas
« on: April 21, 2005, 10:02:36 PM »
Well, folks, I've done it I made up my mind.  It was a dark horse for me as I was almost certain I would be going to Loyola New Orleans next year, but after my visit this past couple of days I'd ahve to say I am definitely headed to Arkansas.  I was blown away by the Dean of Students Jim Miller.  He personally showed me around the law school as well as the campus itself.  He new ever single name of each srudent we ran into along with where they were from and other tidbits.  This really impressed me.  I sat in on a property class that was taught by the Dean of the law school Richard Atkinson.  It was nice event though I didnt really know what they were talking about.  I talked with the guy next to me after class and he was full of nothnig but praise for the school and said that Dean Atkinson was the best teacher he had ever had.  I really liked fayetteville also.  It had the small town college feel that I love along with the benefits of a larger city that I have to have.   All in all, I was sold completely on my trip and hopefully look forward to seeing some of you there next year.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: And the winner is....Arkansas
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 11:08:31 PM »
Well, folks, I've done it I made up my mind.  It was a dark horse for me as I was almost certain I would be going to Loyola New Orleans next year, but after my visit this past couple of days I'd ahve to say I am definitely headed to Arkansas.  I was blown away by the Dean of Students Jim Miller.  He personally showed me around the law school as well as the campus itself.  He new ever single name of each srudent we ran into along with where they were from and other tidbits.  This really impressed me.  I sat in on a property class that was taught by the Dean of the law school Richard Atkinson.  It was nice event though I didnt really know what they were talking about.  I talked with the guy next to me after class and he was full of nothnig but praise for the school and said that Dean Atkinson was the best teacher he had ever had.  I really liked fayetteville also.  It had the small town college feel that I love along with the benefits of a larger city that I have to have.   All in all, I was sold completely on my trip and hopefully look forward to seeing some of you there next year.

Congratulations! I've visited as well and really loved the feel of Fayetteville. Best of luck to you!

FloridaLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 11:58:49 PM »
All in all, I was sold completely on my trip and hopefully look forward to seeing some of you there next year.

I'll see you there in August.  I am actually plan to move there in July though.   What do you mean the benefit of a large city?  What about the construction....has it begun yet? 

Hotel Yorba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 12:16:29 AM »
good deal I hpoe you like it.  Bastard rejected me.

FloridaLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 12:25:50 AM »
good deal I hpoe you like it.  Bastard rejected me.

What's your stats if you don't mind me asking? Do you think they rejected you because of your late application? 

Hotel Yorba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 12:38:05 AM »
156, 3.08 LSAC (3.6 from degree school).  Yeah, I think my late app was the reason.  They had a note on the website that said "few apps after March 1 recieve favorable action" - something to this effect.

be10dwn

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2005, 09:20:20 AM »
All in all, I was sold completely on my trip and hopefully look forward to seeing some of you there next year.

I'll see you there in August.  I am actually plan to move there in July though.   What do you mean the benefit of a large city?  What about the construction....has it begun yet? 

I mean there were all there were things like a pretty nice mall and lots of restaurants and stuff.  I was expecting podunkville but I didnt get that feeling.  They have just begun the construction.  My wife and I are probably going to move up in the beginning of July also.

FloridaLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 11:54:03 AM »
I heard the dorms at UA-Fay Law are not so attractive.  Anyone of you been apartment hunting?  Any good furnished apartment around campus?

Dixon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 02:52:56 PM »
Floridalaw-

I just got back from apartment hunting in Fayetteville.  There are a lot of apartments available for not much money.  However, many, many places do not accept pets and some of the cheaper places are "tax credit" properties, meaning that you can't rent unless you are poor.  Law students, or any full time student for that matter, don't qualify as "poor".

I don't have a list of furnished apartments but I remember that there are some available.  I only looked at two apartments, the Razorback and the Cliffs II.  The Razorback is about a mile from campus and is brand new.  One bedrooms start at about $625 and come with a compact washer and dryer with a 13 month lease.  You can find their website on the internet pretty easily.  I thought that they were nice but they seemed smaller than I had expected there were not a lot of amenities, despite what they had on the internet.  You could ride a bike to class very easily from there. 

I ended up getting a two bedroom place at the Cliffs II.  I think I ended up getting one of the last of two two-bedrooms available but there may be more opening up. There are also one-bedrooms.  Two bedrooms start at $600 a month.  The place is VERY VERY NICE.  Make sure that you go by there even if you decide to rent elsewhere so you can get an idea of what is available for your money.  I could not believe the amenities.  Of course, what impressed me might not impress you (I liked the great weight room, the two-mile lighted running trail, and the fact that the community sits at the base of a small mountain that I can run my dog up and down every day). It's about a ten minute drive to campus. Just do yourself a favor and check the place out before signing a lease somewhere else.

While you are visiting I would recommend staying at the Radisson downtown.  It is the biggest hotel downtown and is within walking distance of just about everything. They also have intenet access in a lot of the rooms (this was useful).

FloridaLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 03:00:14 PM »
Dixon, are you getting a furnished apartment?  How much is the furnished compare to non-furnished?  I just don't want to buy whole bunch of furnitures and then need to get rid of it in a couple of years or moving it every year. But on the down side, furnished apartment might have nasty bed and furnitures and might cost a lot more.   

I plan to drive up there and stay in a hotel close to compus for few days while apartment hunting.  How much can I expect to pay for one night of hotel over there?