Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Duke w/25K in aid or Cornell w/44K  (Read 1481 times)

AMB22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Duke w/25K in aid or Cornell w/44K
« on: April 21, 2005, 05:13:41 PM »
Which would you pick? I think I prefer Duke more but 19K is enough that passing it up seems kind of foolish. Which would you choose and why? Please be specific as possible...thanks!

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Duke w/25K in aid or Cornell w/44K
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 05:19:24 PM »
Which would you pick? I think I prefer Duke more but 19K is enough that passing it up seems kind of foolish. Which would you choose and why? Please be specific as possible...thanks!

These are probably equal schools (though I give Duke the edge).  So it is entirely reasonable to choose the cheaper option.  On the other hand $19,000 is not much in light of your future potential earning.  So if your heart is for Duke, go there and do not worry about $19,000. 

ronin3782

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matsuishir
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 05:22:03 PM »
I am part of the camp that believes any T14 will get you a job anywhere. That said, I don't think career prospects should determine your choice. I don't know if you are thinking of a dual degree...maybe that should be something you could look in to for each school. I also enjoy a very nice quality of life. On one hand you have Cornell, which has some of the ugliest girls in the NE, and gets f*cking hot and cold. but, its also has a bohemian little cafe culture in Ithaca that can be alright once you get into it. Then there is Durham, which can also get hot (but not as cold), has decent looking girls, etc etc. I would choose Duke if i were you.

Also...did you try and write or call the financial aid people at Duke to try to get a bump in the $?
I will miss LA :-(

LawBoundGlory

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 05:27:32 PM »
I am part of the camp that believes any T14 will get you a job anywhere. That said, I don't think career prospects should determine your choice. I don't know if you are thinking of a dual degree...maybe that should be something you could look in to for each school. I also enjoy a very nice quality of life. On one hand you have Cornell, which has some of the ugliest girls in the NE, and gets f*cking hot and cold. but, its also has a bohemian little cafe culture in Ithaca that can be alright once you get into it. Then there is Durham, which can also get hot (but not as cold), has decent looking girls, etc etc. I would choose Duke if i were you.

Also...did you try and write or call the financial aid people at Duke to try to get a bump in the $?

Duke.  Ithaca weather sucks.  Even when it's "sunny" out, the biting cold wind finds its way into the town.  Duke's got better sports, better academics (all-around) and a better law school. 

AMB22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 05:28:44 PM »

Yeah, they bumped me up from 20K to 25K when I notified them of Cornell's offer of 44K....I was really hoping they would just match so I wouldn't have anything to think about.

The one thing I do like about Ithaca is that you can get a place in collegtown and walk to class, bars, restaurants, etc. You can't do that at Duke. I like Duke's weather much more and since I'm from PA I'll get the cold during winter break anyway. But I do have to finance LS myself and saving money is pretty important.

V00Jeff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 05:29:57 PM »
I agree, unless you like cold weather for some reason.  However, I'm not sure the girls thing is too accurate.  I did Duke UG and know a bunch of current law students and grads if you have any specific questions...
Attending: Columbia

Lgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 05:32:13 PM »
I'd go with Cornell. Difference in prestige is non-existent, and I couldn't pass up 44k at such a great law school. I think they have better programs than Duke (but that is subjective) and I just think it would be a more interesting experience. But, as you know, you can#t go wrong with eithre. Unless you have a egional preferance, I just don't see why you'd chose Duke over Cornell.

BigRedWarEagle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005, 05:32:49 PM »
hahahahahahahahha

Cornell DOES have the ugliest girls on the face of the earth.  My grandfather visited me there one day from Montgomery, AL and said, "did they deport all of the pretty girls during WWII?  I"ve heard they did that with some Japanese folks out west, but this is just nasty, boy."

That being said, I loved every minute of my time there.  Ithaca is a fun place to go to school.
You are not your job.

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 05:36:40 PM »
$19,000 over three years is not an excessive difference if you are going to do corporate law.   

Yeah, they bumped me up from 20K to 25K when I notified them of Cornell's offer of 44K....I was really hoping they would just match so I wouldn't have anything to think about.

The one thing I do like about Ithaca is that you can get a place in collegtown and walk to class, bars, restaurants, etc. You can't do that at Duke. I like Duke's weather much more and since I'm from PA I'll get the cold during winter break anyway. But I do have to finance LS myself and saving money is pretty important.

LawBoundGlory

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2005, 06:03:29 PM »
hahahahahahahahha

Cornell DOES have the ugliest girls on the face of the earth.  My grandfather visited me there one day from Montgomery, AL and said, "did they deport all of the pretty girls during WWII?  I"ve heard they did that with some Japanese folks out west, but this is just nasty, boy."

That being said, I loved every minute of my time there.  Ithaca is a fun place to go to school.

It's fun if you like three bars total in your collegetown.  And there's about as much to do there as there is on the playground at McDonald's.  You'd be foolish to pass up Duke's offer, despite getting less money.  You'll make that money back in no time.  Reputation matters and Duke's got the edge for law.  Look at the bar passage for NY -  Duke v. Cornell (Duke 98.6%, Cornell 92%)