Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Racism Issue  (Read 21716 times)

CocoPuff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: The Racism Issue
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2005, 10:44:27 AM »
Was it bad for you, Professor, at UF? I visited, really liked it and would love to go there. It's so small though.
There's just this for consolation: an hour here or there when our lives seem, against all odds and expectations, to burst open and give us everything we've ever imagined"

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2005, 10:49:32 AM »
Was it bad for you, Professor, at UF? I visited, really liked it and would love to go there. It's so small though.

No it was not bad for me.  I had my boy that I hung out with, a cat I met the very first day, and we hung tight the entire time we were there.  What made it much worse was some of the attitudes of the black folk there.  Remember now, UF is the flagship school of the state and so, everyone that gets in there thinks they got into the Harvard of the state of florida.  They have greatly improved their facilities recently and dont get me wrong, I enjoyed myself there as I was preparing to do what I had always dreamed of doing.  Are you saying the facilities are small or the student body?  I dont think the student body is all that small.  There are give or take somewhere in the neighborhood 1200 students there. 
Back in the saddle again.

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2005, 10:54:40 AM »
Well, on the "theme" of racism. Did ya'll hear that at (I believe?) the University of IL had to bus the minority students off of campus b/c of racist threats they were receiving? They had to move them to hotels that are under police guard.

It's the year 2005................

WTF??? How the hell is this not getting anymore attention!!! I saw this on the news and now I've seen nothing else. Does this not seem crazy to people!! I mean, seriously, the threats had to be serious for the school to actually BUS these students off-campus under police guard. And we have mofos on this here talking about racism isn't as prevalent today  ::)

CocoPuff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2005, 10:58:40 AM »
No it was not bad for me. I had my boy that I hung out with, a cat I met the very first day, and we hung tight the entire time we were there. What made it much worse was some of the attitudes of the black folk there. Remember now, UF is the flagship school of the state and so, everyone that gets in there thinks they got into the Harvard of the state of florida. They have greatly improved their facilities recently and dont get me wrong, I enjoyed myself there as I was preparing to do what I had always dreamed of doing. Are you saying the facilities are small or the student body? I dont think the student body is all that small. There are give or take somewhere in the neighborhood 1200 students there.

The facilities were small, but they were doing massive construction so by the time I get there (If I do decide to go there), it will be more than twice its size. But the school is beautiful, and it's extremely competitive, so I can understand why people might feel high and mighty once they get in. But at least you had a good experience which is encouraging.
There's just this for consolation: an hour here or there when our lives seem, against all odds and expectations, to burst open and give us everything we've ever imagined"

seu2002

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2005, 11:01:18 AM »
Well, on the "theme" of racism. Did ya'll hear that at (I believe?) the University of IL had to bus the minority students off of campus b/c of racist threats they were receiving? They had to move them to hotels that are under police guard.

WTF??? How the hell is this not getting anymore attention!!! I saw this on the news and now I've seen nothing else. Does this not seem crazy to people!! I mean, seriously, the threats had to be serious for the school to actually BUS these students off-campus under police guard. And we have mofos on this here talking about racism isn't as prevalent today  ::)

was this all minorities or just af-am's?  i'm appalled either way but curious if the threats were exclusive to one particular group.  racist bastards.

CocoPuff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2005, 11:06:31 AM »

This is definitely very serious. It's shocking to think that it still goes on today, amongst people who are supposedly well educated. But what do you do when you're so greatly outnumbered? It's a cryin' shame.

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2005, 11:12:00 AM »

This is definitely very serious. It's shocking to think that it still goes on today, amongst people who are supposedly well educated. But what do you do when you're so greatly outnumbered? It's a cryin' shame.

I tried to find something on it online but couldn't find anything.  Any links anyone? Lady?
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2005, 11:16:17 AM »
No it was not bad for me. I had my boy that I hung out with, a cat I met the very first day, and we hung tight the entire time we were there. What made it much worse was some of the attitudes of the black folk there. Remember now, UF is the flagship school of the state and so, everyone that gets in there thinks they got into the Harvard of the state of florida. They have greatly improved their facilities recently and dont get me wrong, I enjoyed myself there as I was preparing to do what I had always dreamed of doing. Are you saying the facilities are small or the student body? I dont think the student body is all that small. There are give or take somewhere in the neighborhood 1200 students there.

The facilities were small, but they were doing massive construction so by the time I get there (If I do decide to go there), it will be more than twice its size. But the school is beautiful, and it's extremely competitive, so I can understand why people might feel high and mighty once they get in. But at least you had a good experience which is encouraging.

Yes, you are right, they were, but you got the see that they were doing construction and it is almost complete, from what I hear.  Yes, it is competitive.  I can understand it as well but you have to fight the urge to swell up and start to smell yourself.  I believe in staying humble.  Yes, I had a good experience.  I am a friendly kind of person who gets along with my people and YT.  Everyone has a different experience.  Every individual is going to have a difference experience.
Back in the saddle again.

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2005, 11:18:43 AM »
Welcome back to crazy world:

CAPE TOWN, South Africa (AP) -- The trial of two men accused of killing a farm worker and throwing him into a lion encampment wound up Thursday after three months of courtroom drama that has highlighted problems of rural violence and racial imbalances in South African society.

Judge George Maluleke adjourned the court in the northern town of Phalaborwa until next Thursday, when he will deliver his verdict.

During the trial prosecutors alleged that Mark Scott-Crossley, a 37-year-old white farmer, and two of his workers attacked Nelson Chisale (a black former employee) with machetes, beat him, tied him up and then drove him to a lion reserve and threw him over the fence, where he was devoured.

Scott-Crossley and co-accused Simon Mathebula pleaded not guilty. The third accused, Richard Mathebula (no relative) also pleaded his innocence but was hospitalized with tuberculosis and will be tried at a later date.

Much of the testimony revolved around whether Scott-Crossley ordered the killing -- as his workers claimed -- and whether Chisale was still alive when he was thrown to the lions.

Some 22 witnesses and a variety of forensic experts were called to give evidence, which included remains of Chisale's blood-stained clothes. The lions left only a few bones and part of one finger.

Chisale was attacked in January 2003 as he returned to retrieve a few belongings after he had been dismissed from his job on Scott-Crossley's farm.

"I submit with regard to (the Mathebulas) the correct verdict is guilty of culpable homicide and that (Scott-Crossley) is guilty of accessory after the fact to the crime of culpable homicide," Engelbrecht was quoted as saying by the South African Press Association.

In her response, State Prosecutor Ivy Thenga contended that Scott-Crossley had acted with premeditation when he ordered his workers to load Chisale into the back of his truck and helped them toss Chisale into a lion encampment. She said that Scott-Crossley masterminded the murder and that, by acting in concert with him and at no time distancing himself from what was happening or frustrating his actions, Simon Mathebula was equally guilty of the murder.

The trial opened amid protests from demonstrators that the killing was a racial attack in a country still coming to terms with its apartheid past. It also highlighted the currents of violence that run through impoverished rural areas, as well as the harsh treatment meted out to farm laborers -- who are usually black or mixed-race -- by their bosses, who are usually white.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2005, 11:20:46 AM »
What do you do??? :o There are many things you can do when you’re outnumbered.. keep trying until you’re heard.. don’t just give up and submit to the foolishness...No need to walk away on a trial of tears.. don’t be defeated

But what do you do when you're so greatly outnumbered? It's a cryin' shame.

Ladyday… which U of I was it ? do you know?What do you guys think about the editorials I posted?
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...