Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Racism Issue  (Read 20668 times)

CocoPuff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: The Racism Issue
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2005, 06:52:06 PM »
See, I don't know how I would hold up by myself in a room full of white people talking about affirmative action, or slavery. That happened to me the other day and I almost had a heart attack. But I have to thank the Oracle of Omaha for what you said because it's true. Racism will come, situations will arise in which you have to fly solo, and fight alone for what you believe, mine as well learn how to deal with it.
There's just this for consolation: an hour here or there when our lives seem, against all odds and expectations, to burst open and give us everything we've ever imagined"

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2005, 06:56:21 PM »
Oh daymn Sands, Kansas?  So you must have been in the trenches as well then.

Sometimes I wish I had gotten the HBCU experience though, no lie.  In college a group of us would take trips down to Howard sometimes and I would be daymn near in tears when it was time to leave. But then I would remember the scholarship money I was getting from my school and I would hop my ass back on that Greyhound Bus.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

Omegaman

• Sr. Citizen
  • Say it Loud! We're Black & Republican & Proud!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2005, 06:57:34 PM »

Racism manifests itself in many different ways...from not giving out outlines to minorities, to keeping study techniques from minorities, to excluding minorities from get togethers, to outright hostility and being upfront about it.  Of course like most places in society it is much more subtle than it used to be.  Each individual deals with it in their own way, but one way is to have the support of minority professors, administrators and students/organizations.  If you dont feel like it is you against the school, it makes it a little easier to deal with it.  I hope that is a straight answer, but it is a hard question to answer because it is different for everyone and everyone handles it differently.

So what do you recommend for minorities going to law school this year on predominantly white campuses?  What if you donít have many minority law professors or administrative staff to reach out to?

Wow, there really are black people in Nebraska.  Well, there has to be a BLSA at your school.  Lean on them, that is one of the things they are there for.  Unless you are going to say you dont have a BLSA.  I am sorry to hear about your situation.  How bad is it?  Can you give me some examples of what is going on?

Yeah we've all seen belly we know about Black folks in Nebraska ;D
Peace I think one think that can help and sands can work on this is that I think Admissions Deans and such at law schools especially majority white one trying to increase diversity should all attend the NBLSA conference. I cant tell you how perceptions change about schools once you see them handle there business. I mean SMU was NBLSA chapter of the year, who would have thought that, and UVA, and I met many Ques from Oklahoma, despite haters like Sands asking folks, "There are Ques in law school? and many other school gave people a very good impression on how black folks work together in the tense environment of law school at a majority white school

Sorry forgot about about University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and their AKAs and last but not least University of Wisconsin ;) Dont say nothing Sands, Lexington and ladyday

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2005, 07:16:38 PM »
yeah Iíve had the experience of being the only black person in many of my courses.. during a discussion over the brown v board of ed  case a student flat out said ďIím glad Iím not blackĒ.. everyone.. including the professor turned around to look at me to see what I had to say.. interesting times I tell you..

and thereís nothing like having some of your classmates say to you.. youíre not like most African AmericansÖ wtf is that supposed to mean??  >:(
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2005, 07:25:15 PM »
Omega - I ain't sayin sh!t.  [lookin at LadyDay and her big mouth]

BP (oracle, or whatever you're callin yourself nowadays) - IN DA TRENCHES, son!  Smackin bobbies and beckies every other class. It would come in waves though.  There would be a whole semester of peace, and then some cat would put an article in the paper talking about Black Fraternities and Sororities are no longer necessary because black people can just join the White groups now.... :P  I wrote so many damn rebuttals to the campus newspaper I became a guest editor by default. Before there was an BLSD I was puttin cats on wax at my school, blastin they asses in the public forum.  Ahhhhh the memories.

So yeah, kid, when it came time to go to law school it was time to be up.  East Coast is beautiful, but I ain't tellin you nothing you don't already know.  I'm trying to get where you're at.

Funny thing about goin to an HBCU, my boys who went to an HBCU in Missouri would always tell me they would go to the state schools which were predominantly white, and would be talkin to sisters at those schools and having a good convo and vibin and everything, but then whenever the sisters would  ask them what school they went to and they would answer with the name of their HBCU the whole attitude would change. The sisters would be like "Oh" and walk off with the noses in the air every single time, without fail.  But the funny part is, those same sisters would be at that same HBCU everytime there was a stepshow or greek party.  My peoples....can't get right!
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2005, 08:36:40 PM »
"Funny thing about goin to an HBCU, my boys who went to an HBCU in Missouri would always tell me they would go to the state schools which were predominantly white, and would be talkin to sisters at those schools and having a good convo and vibin and everything, but then whenever the sisters would  ask them what school they went to and they would answer with the name of their HBCU the whole attitude would change. The sisters would be like "Oh" and walk off with the noses in the air every single time, without fail.  But the funny part is, those same sisters would be at that same HBCU everytime there was a stepshow or greek party.  My peoples....can't get right!"

Tell me about it yo. I'm surprised I got a girl that graduated from the PWIs ;) EVERY TIME I told a girl that I went to, am going to, or am attening an HBCU I had to deal the bull crap. Aint that something. Mad at me because I support black businesses. Anyway.

In regards to the thread. Why even ask the question? The answer is obvious.

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2005, 08:41:03 PM »
One type of racism that has ballooned lately on our college campuses is the incidences of black men having "relations" with white women between the hours of 1:00 am and 6:00 am and not speaking to said white women until the next late night encounter.  The self esteem of white women has suffered as they continue to be subjected to this discriminatory practice.  There are many questions surrounding this issue: Why are black girls allowed to eat with black guys in the dining hall and white girls cannot?  Why are black girls allowed to speak to black guys in public and white girls can't?  Why are black girls allowed to spend the night? Is this race-based discrimination? There is proposed legislation in the works to combat this growing phenomenon.  Penned by Lucious Leftfoot, the Booty-Call ACT is expected to be voted on within the next few weeks.  Write your congressman people.

LMFAO!! This is some real funny *&^%.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2005, 09:02:02 PM »
One type of racism that has ballooned lately on our college campuses is the incidences of black men having "relations" with white women between the hours of 1:00 am and 6:00 am and not speaking to said white women until the next late night encounter.  The self esteem of white women has suffered as they continue to be subjected to this discriminatory practice.  There are many questions surrounding this issue: Why are black girls allowed to eat with black guys in the dining hall and white girls cannot?  Why are black girls allowed to speak to black guys in public and white girls can't?  Why are black girls allowed to spend the night? Is this race-based discrimination? There is proposed legislation in the works to combat this growing phenomenon.  Penned by Lucious Leftfoot, the Booty-Call ACT is expected to be voted on within the next few weeks.  Write your congressman people.

LMFAO!! This is some real funny sh*t.

Yeah I think I'm going to have to renominate it for funniest post of the '05
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Who's Crowdaddy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fuc% Y'all, I'm From Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2005, 09:15:35 PM »
Just tagging this thread so I can come back to it later.
I fought the Law and the Law won

I am the Law

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2005, 09:34:50 PM »

LMFAO!! This is some real funny sh*t.

Yeah I think I'm going to have to renominate it for funniest post of the '05

2nd