Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Racism Issue  (Read 20426 times)

CocoPuff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
The Racism Issue
« on: April 21, 2005, 04:33:23 PM »
We all know that all men are not created equal in this country, but in terms of higher education, has the racism African Americans face at predominantly white schools subsided? I've heard some stories, but I would love to hear from some one who has experience at one of these schools. How are you holding up?
There's just this for consolation: an hour here or there when our lives seem, against all odds and expectations, to burst open and give us everything we've ever imagined"

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
Re: The Racism Issue
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 05:03:56 PM »
We all know that all men are not created equal in this country, but in terms of higher education, has the racism African Americans face at predominantly white schools subsided? I've heard some stories, but I would love to hear from some one who has experience at one of these schools. How are you holding up?

It depends on how strong you are and whether you are secure with yourself.  They think very little of students, staff, faculty and administration who are people of color.
Back in the saddle again.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 05:14:24 PM »
Racism doesn't exist anymore.  It was a figment of your imagination.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 05:36:08 PM »
Burning Sands,

You are BAD, you are no longer allowed to post.  Go study.

CocoPuff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 05:45:46 PM »
I did not ask if there was racism on campus, I asked what kind, how much and how people deal with it. It seems like nobody over here knows how to give str8 answers.
There's just this for consolation: an hour here or there when our lives seem, against all odds and expectations, to burst open and give us everything we've ever imagined"

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 05:56:54 PM »
I did not ask if there was racism on campus, I asked what kind, how much and how people deal with it. It seems like nobody over here knows how to give str8 answers.

Racism manifests itself in many different ways...from not giving out outlines to minorities, to keeping study techniques from minorities, to excluding minorities from get togethers, to outright hostility and being upfront about it.  Of course like most places in society it is much more subtle than it used to be.  Each individual deals with it in their own way, but one way is to have the support of minority professors, administrators and students/organizations.  If you dont feel like it is you against the school, it makes it a little easier to deal with it.  I hope that is a straight answer, but it is a hard question to answer because it is different for everyone and everyone handles it differently.

From Nebraska

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 06:15:19 PM »

Racism manifests itself in many different ways...from not giving out outlines to minorities, to keeping study techniques from minorities, to excluding minorities from get togethers, to outright hostility and being upfront about it.  Of course like most places in society it is much more subtle than it used to be.  Each individual deals with it in their own way, but one way is to have the support of minority professors, administrators and students/organizations.  If you dont feel like it is you against the school, it makes it a little easier to deal with it.  I hope that is a straight answer, but it is a hard question to answer because it is different for everyone and everyone handles it differently.

So what do you recommend for minorities going to law school this year on predominantly white campuses?  What if you donít have many minority law professors or administrative staff to reach out to?
Yes, there are black people in Nebraska!

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005, 06:20:11 PM »
One type of racism that has ballooned lately on our college campuses is the incidences of black men having "relations" with white women between the hours of 1:00 am and 6:00 am and not speaking to said white women until the next late night encounter.  The self esteem of white women has suffered as they continue to be subjected to this discriminatory practice.  There are many questions surrounding this issue: Why are black girls allowed to eat with black guys in the dining hall and white girls cannot?  Why are black girls allowed to speak to black guys in public and white girls can't?  Why are black girls allowed to spend the night? Is this race-based discrimination? There is proposed legislation in the works to combat this growing phenomenon.  Penned by Lucious Leftfoot, the Booty-Call ACT is expected to be voted on within the next few weeks.  Write your congressman people.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 06:23:21 PM »
I kid, I kid ;D
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2005, 06:25:24 PM »
Join BLSA (Black Law Students Association) for starters.  Your school should have a chapter.  And even if there are not a lot of Fam at your school, BLSA is international.  You will meet a ton of Fam at the regional and National conventions.

http://www.nblsa.org

Secondly, hook up with upperclassmen. Most will take you under their wing b/c they've been thru what you are about to go thru and they can tell you which prof's to avoid and hook you up with outlines, supplimentals and all the other goodies that you are going to need.

Lastly, (although maybe this should come first) it may behoove you to look at the student body %'s of the law schools you are thinking about applying to BEFORE you apply to them.  I know for me personally, that was one of the main criteria I was looking at for law schools and I'm glad that I did because my class has been my biggest support base for going thru the law school grind.  Without them I don't know if I would be typing to you right now as a law student.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston