Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Racism Issue  (Read 20875 times)

Omegaman

• Sr. Citizen
  • Say it Loud! We're Black & Republican & Proud!!!
    • View Profile
Re: The Racism Issue
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2005, 12:08:57 PM »

.  and i'm not talking about an uncommon educated mexican like myself.  i'm talking about mexicans like my cousins who don't know a lick of english. 

If this isnt the Dumbest SH#$% Ive heard yet on this board. Where you live as an uncommon educated mexican Tiajuanna? I live in a stat that just had a huge parade and funeral for a mexican activist and a mexican senator attended along with the former mayor in which the Denver airport is on federico Pena blvd but you uncommon and educated ???

CocoPuff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2005, 12:17:29 PM »
Yeah, I think the "uncommon educated mexican" remark was a little degrading. I'm not Mexican, and I don't know how many Mexicans go to college, but that comment leads me to believe that the answer is not many. Perhaps this is not a great way to talk about your people. However, I understand what you're saying, and the truth is none of us know what it's like to be of a different race. We all have prejudices. So for the white guy who would like to be an ally, I would say just keep an open mind and be normal. There's not anything specific for you to do except be supportive and be a friend when you some one dealing with racism.
There's just this for consolation: an hour here or there when our lives seem, against all odds and expectations, to burst open and give us everything we've ever imagined"

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2005, 12:17:48 PM »
My family is from Gainesville so I spend a lot of time there. It's true, the only thing going is the school, but that's cool with me! At least it's warm, I don't know how many more NY winters I can take.

Ahhhh, well that sounds like a great place for you, close to family.  You wanna know what, the fact that nothing is going on in Gainesville is great because it means you have nothing to do but studying.  Yeah, it is warm, that was one of the positive points for me.  You are not a Winter/snow kind of girl????
Back in the saddle again.

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2005, 12:20:24 PM »
Well, on the "theme" of racism. Did ya'll hear that at (I believe?) the University of IL had to bus the minority students off of campus b/c of racist threats they were receiving? They had to move them to hotels that are under police guard.

It's the year 2005................

It is a shame that things like this still go on and it goes underreported.  They dont ever want us to become educated.  Why do you think slaves were forbidden from learning to read.  They more education an oppressed people get, the more dangerous they are and the harder it is to keep them down.  That is why it is vitally important for each and ever one of us to continue getting education and learning as much as possible.

That's why I hate it when people say things like: this is America and Black people should stop complaining and do for themselves like everyone else. How can you move up in life if every step of the way there is some one doing everything in their power to knock you back down? People don't seem to understand all that minorities go through. When we accomplish something it's always despite the odds.

The reason racism still exists is because white people dont want to give their power up.  Those who have power dont give it up without a fight.  White people have this mentality that they are owed something, and when they dont get it they blame the only person they can find, minorities.  I dont want you on my campus.  I am going to call in and threaten you.  I didnt get into law school, a minority MUST have taken my place.  They white people who are extremely insecure are the ones who like to cause the  trouble and attack minorities.  White people dont see things that way...that we accomplish something inspite of the odds aginst us....they think it is easy being black.  I wish every white person could live life as a person of color for a year (without knowing that they have the ability to go back to the old way).  they will see things in a very different way.

i have no idea what it's like to be black, but i am a mexican.  i AM a person of color, and as light as my skin is, i still look like a mexican.  i agree with you.  the odds are against my people as well.  i too wish that a white person could live as a mexican for even a week.  and i'm not talking about an uncommon educated mexican like myself.  i'm talking about mexicans like my cousins who don't know a lick of english. 

Well, you have an idea of what it is like to be a person of color in america...which is tough, so, I know you understand.  White people dont have to fortitude to survive all of the things we have to survive every day.  They couldnt handle it for a day, let alone a week or a year.

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2005, 12:24:36 PM »

.  and i'm not talking about an uncommon educated mexican like myself.  i'm talking about mexicans like my cousins who don't know a lick of english. 

If this isnt the Dumbest SH#$% Ive heard yet on this board. Where you live as an uncommon educated mexican Tiajuanna? I live in a stat that just had a huge parade and funeral for a mexican activist and a mexican senator attended along with the former mayor in which the Denver airport is on federico Pena blvd but you uncommon and educated ???

Omegaman, you named four educated mexican's (that is if you assume that the one who had the blvd named after him was educated).  That does not make every or even most mexican's educated.  I am not mexican and dont know any mexicans and so I cant say what she said was dumb or smart, but I have to take her at her word.  Are you mexican?  Why do we have to be insulting on our attacks of people?

CocoPuff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2005, 12:25:18 PM »
My family is from Gainesville so I spend a lot of time there. It's true, the only thing going is the school, but that's cool with me! At least it's warm, I don't know how many more NY winters I can take.

Ahhhh, well that sounds like a great place for you, close to family.  You wanna know what, the fact that nothing is going on in Gainesville is great because it means you have nothing to do but studying.  Yeah, it is warm, that was one of the positive points for me.  You are not a Winter/snow kind of girl????

I hate snow and I was not made for the cold. It's torture, especially since it's cold for 8 months out of the year. I think I would be happier bustin' my butt in school if it was warm outside. Cold makes me cranky and lazy.
There's just this for consolation: an hour here or there when our lives seem, against all odds and expectations, to burst open and give us everything we've ever imagined"

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2005, 12:27:33 PM »

I hate snow and I was not made for the cold. It's torture, especially since it's cold for 8 months out of the year. I think I would be happier bustin' my butt in school if it was warm outside. Cold makes me cranky and lazy.

Ahhh, I can dig it.  You are a girl after my own heart.  I live in DC and I cant stand the winter here.  I dont know how you handle NY winters?  Perhaps it is time for you to go home.  UF awaits you.  Or U of Miami???

Who's Crowdaddy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fuc% Y'all, I'm From Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2005, 12:28:46 PM »

That's why I hate it when people say things like: this is America and Black people should stop complaining and do for themselves like everyone else. How can you move up in life if every step of the way there is some one doing everything in their power to knock you back down? People don't seem to understand all that minorities go through. When we accomplish something it's always despite the odds.

The reason racism still exists is because white people dont want to give their power up.  Those who have power dont give it up without a fight.  White people have this mentality that they are owed something, and when they dont get it they blame the only person they can find, minorities.  I dont want you on my campus.  I am going to call in and threaten you.  I didnt get into law school, a minority MUST have taken my place.  They white people who are extremely insecure are the ones who like to cause the  trouble and attack minorities.  White people dont see things that way...that we accomplish something inspite of the odds aginst us....they think it is easy being black.  I wish every white person could live life as a person of color for a year (without knowing that they have the ability to go back to the old way).  they will see things in a very different way.

There are some huge generalizations here. Yes, I am sick and tired of every white person that bitches about not getting in because a minority took their spot, or assuming every black that gets into law school got in because of AA. They are idiots, it's annoying. I see it on this site all the time.

It is true, people with power don't want to give it up, but certainly, many if not the vast majority of white people don't suscribe to these ideals. When choosing a law school, it was important for me to find one with diversity, and very few are diverse enough. I can't live as a black for a year, it has been attempted in novels or bad movies (Soul Man), but I can't. I can't live as a Mexican for a day as the other poster mentioned. What I can do is attempt to get to know as many people of different backgrounds from myself, travel when possible to see places beyond my city/state/country, to gain whatever understanding I can and read from the experiences of people that have suffered. I certainly have not been a victim of institutionalized racism, (although I have been jumped due to being white, and teased by my sports teammates or other friends), and it is obvious that many whites are in denial that this institutionalized crap persists.

One of the reasons I was leery of choosing law is because it is an area that is not open to all people, but many people want these things to change and undoubtedly it takes great effort to bring about changes in the system.

I know racism still exists, in a number of ways, some subtle, some overt. I just don't think it helps anything when you say white people this, white people that. Plenty of white people have no illusions that it is easy being black. I know you hate it when some white guy says black people this or Mexican people that.

Well, sorry if I missed the context in some way, but those are my two cents.
I fought the Law and the Law won

I am the Law

seu2002

« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2005, 12:30:22 PM »

I live in Austin right now, but I was raised along the border, omegaman.  the border along texas, as in, literally 2 blocks from mexico.  i walk across from my house to the market in mexico all the time-- it's that close.  it's a different way of life along the border.  it's very impoverished.  spanish is the dominant language by default because hardly anyone speaks or understands english.  HS drop out and teen pregnancy rates are incredibly high.  because the city is located between the border and an INS checkpoint, many illegal immigrants, mainly poor and illiterate agricultural workers, stay there.  the standard pay is minimum wage, $5.25.  should i go?  there's plenty more i can think of if you need more details.

before calling my statement the dumbest *&^% you've ever heard, please ask me about it next time.  it's no joke.  my city of eagle pass, texas is an extension of piedras negras, coahuila, mexico which is the equivalent to Tijuana.  it's not the other way around. 

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2005, 12:41:26 PM »

There are some huge generalizations here. Yes, I am sick and tired of every white person that bitches about not getting in because a minority took their spot, or assuming every black that gets into law school got in because of AA. They are idiots, it's annoying. I see it on this site all the time.

It is true, people with power don't want to give it up, but certainly, many if not the vast majority of white people don't suscribe to these ideals. When choosing a law school, it was important for me to find one with diversity, and very few are diverse enough. I can't live as a black for a year, it has been attempted in novels or bad movies (Soul Man), but I can't. I can't live as a Mexican for a day as the other poster mentioned. What I can do is attempt to get to know as many people of different backgrounds from myself, travel when possible to see places beyond my city/state/country, to gain whatever understanding I can and read from the experiences of people that have suffered. I certainly have not been a victim of institutionalized racism, (although I have been jumped due to being white, and teased by my sports teammates or other friends), and it is obvious that many whites are in denial that this institutionalized darn persists.

One of the reasons I was leery of choosing law is because it is an area that is not open to all people, but many people want these things to change and undoubtedly it takes great effort to bring about changes in the system.

I know racism still exists, in a number of ways, some subtle, some overt. I just don't think it helps anything when you say white people this, white people that. Plenty of white people have no illusions that it is easy being black. I know you hate it when some white guy says black people this or Mexican people that.

Well, sorry if I missed the context in some way, but those are my two cents.

I generalize, because without that, you could never have anything to say about a group of people.  Go over the the thread about affirmative action and read some of the posts from white people who complain that affirmative action hurt them.  They dont think that there is a need for affirmative action.  There is still racism out there in numbers so great it would stagger you.  There was a post I just read about 5 minutes ago about a covenant on a house that wouldnt allow the current owner to sell that house to black people, the U of Ill had to bus out minorities because of a threat against them.  If you are in the law for social change, that is great, grab an orr and start rowing.  The only way for the doors to open up for people of color in all fields is for more people of color to enter those fields and more white people to open their eyes and see the world for what it is.  One thing is that if you are in denial that institutional racism exists (and I am not saying you are, but commenting on your statement that many white people are) then you are part of the problem because you stand in the way of change because you dont even know that a problem exits.  I understand what you are saying about the statements that all white people are this and all white people are that (and I dont believe anything about all of anybody) but since you cant see things from this perspective, it is hard for you to say what we should be doing and how we should say things.